Mid Atlantic Seafood
Ranked #3 of 197 Restaurants in Laurel
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Found Mid-Atlantic Seafood while looking for fresh lobsters for Christmas Eve dinner. Lobsters were very reasonably priced. Store was well run. I was in and out on Christmas Eve within 10 minutes. Will definitely return for fresh seafood.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I happened upon this restaurant while driving along Baltimore Ave. The word "CHICKEN” in bold red neon lettering on the front of the building near the roofline caught my attention.

Inside, I found cafeteria-style displays of many of the meal choices from American fried seafood to Chinese dishes and deli selections.

Some appetizers included Clam Strips at $7.99, Breaded Mushrooms at $4.99, and Onion Rings at $2.99.

There was a whole menu of salads with choices of chicken, shrimp, tuna, etc. in the $7.99 - $8.99 range.

Seafood dishes were available in sandwich or dinner plates. Sandwiches ranged from $5.99 to $12.99 for Mahi-Mahi. Dinner plates ranged from $8.99 to $15.99 for Mahi-Mahi or Grouper.

There were a lot of chicken and BBQ Ribs meals on the menu.

There were about two dozen dessert choices.

It was a very busy place even at the off-hour of 2:15 PM which was late for lunch and too early for dinner. But, people were picking up a lot of takeout and dining in.

I ordered the 10 Scallops Dinner with French fries and mixed vegetables at $10.99. I was expecting bay scallops for that price. To my surprise, the scallops were good sized sea scallops. I guessed the portion of mixed vegetables at one full cup. There were a lot of fries, too.

Usually, I'm not a fan of sauces. But, seeing the label "Mumbo Sauce" on one of the condiment pumps, I decided to be adventurous and to try some. It was a red sauce tinged with orange that was sweet at first. Then, about 3 seconds later, there was a little sting on the tongue from black pepper. I really liked it on the scallops.

I was very pleased with my meal. The seafood was fresh. Everything was prepared properly. My meal arrived hot. And, I acquired quite a taste for the Mumbo Sauce. The gal at the order counter told me that this was a House Specialty made on the premises by their chef.

Later, I learned that Mumbo Sauce is a well-known condiment for use on chicken wings in Chinese restaurants in the Washington, DC area. However, it was originally created by Argia B. Collins, Sr., for use in connection with a barbecue sauce he developed for his Chicago BBQ restaurants on the Chicago's South Side and later marketed through Select Brands LLC.

Either way, the Mumbo Sauce served at Mid Atlantic Seafood is delicious.

I'll definitely eat here again when in the DC area.

I've learned that this is a small regional chain with other locations in Takoma Park, New Carrollton, and Hyattsville.

2  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I love this place. You can get anything you want to eat from fish to chittlings. It just gives you that down home feel, and you cannot eat it all.

1  Thank UltraClassic07
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This place offers a lot of choices -- probably too many, but I've always been satisfied with the seafood. Especially good are the choices of side veggies. They alone are worth the trip. Ambiance? There is none. Service is nothing special, but acceptable. Decent place to go when you don't feel like cooking.

1  Thank Lynne S
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Went here for lunch based on reading other reviews. First impression was not great. The atmosphere was very much like a cafeteria. One good thing was that the menu is quite large. It was a little confusing though. There is seafood, chinese food and a variety of other foods that seemed like a strange combination to me. I asked for a fish sandwich and got fish in a to go container and two pieces of white bread wrapped in saran wrap. I will say that the fish was pretty good and the portion was large. We timed it just right getting there. After we ordered the line got very long quickly but it seemed like the wait was short and the food came out pretty quick. I would recomend this place to anyone looking for something other than just fast food. Just don't expect too much. I would probably go back but it's not a place I would crave or anything like that.