“Clean Restaurant, Good service - Disappointing Food”
Review of Klobys Smokehouse

Klobys Smokehouse
Ranked #8 of 194 Restaurants in Laurel
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Kloby's Smokehouse is family owned and operated. Kloby's Smokehouse is known for its great food and service in a casual dining atmosphere. Kloby's serves up the best smoked Pulled Pork (served Carolina-Style), Beef Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and all of your favorite "made from scratch" sides. We pride ourselves with taking all of the time needed to BBQ all of our fresh meats in an all-natural hard wood pit to give you the best smoked, finger licking BBQ flavors you crave. No matter what occasion you decide to celebrate, be sure to celebrate the day at Kloby's Smokehouse!
Baltimore, Maryland
“Clean Restaurant, Good service - Disappointing Food”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We recently tried Kloby's for the first time. The restaurant was clean when we entered and our server was very friendly and attentive. We were impressed with the selection on the menu. However, we found the food to be disappointing. We generally liked the side items but did not care much for the meat. The ribs were on the dry side. The brisket was okay but the sauce was odd (more like a tomato sauce than typical barbeque sauce), definitely not what we prefer. We'll be going somewhere else for barbeque in the future.

• Visited January 2012

Annapolis, Maryland
“Smokehouse not simple BBQ”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is great place for smokehouse BBQ. Those who are looking for the simple run of the mill BBQ will be surprised by the beef and pork created within the confines of this brick and mortar storefront. There is a carryout option for those on the run. Two drinking bars flanked both opposite sides of the restaurant. Live entertainment is scheduled weekly. Their babyback ribs were quite tasty. Smoked at just the right length, and brushed with Kloby's original sauce, we eat with full delight. Because this is a smokehouse, the meat remains intact. Sides were macaroni and cheese and collard greens. The mac and cheese was blah with nothing to add. The collard's were great, with a spicy bite accompany with a 2 x 2 square of slow roasted pork. Coffee was served with nothing much to remember. This establishment has all the earmarks of a local haunt. Its location is ideal for those who are traveling in the Baltimore-Washington Corridor. Our intention is to return with friends in the future.

• Visited December 2011
“Great beef ribs”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Loved Kloby's . My husband and I plus another couple dined at Kloby's on a Saturday night. Disappointingly the place was not particularly crowded. Given how delicious the food was I would have expected it to be packed. Many tables were taken but there was no wait.
The food was great. We loved the beef ribs which were smoked just right. They prepare them without sauce, which I happen to love and they will give you sauce to dip them in if you desire. I ate almost three ribs (they are huge). I just couldn't stop eating them because they were so delicious. I also ate one pork rib which I thought was very tasty too. One of our friends did not like the pork ribs as much. The side dishes were also very good. We had bbq beans, french fries, cole slaw and green beans. All were very tasty.
The only negative I think the restaurant has is that on Saturday nights they have a band which was quite good but the venue is so small that the noise level was just too high. I don't think that even sitting in the room away from the band would have made much difference. We happened to be sitting right in front of them. I don't know what could be done. They did start the music fairly late but if you are trying to have a conversation the noise would be deafening.
The restaurant was fun.

• Visited September 2011
Baltimore
“Meat, beer, TV - and lots of 'em!”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

It's always dicey parking at the strip mall Kloby's is located in, but we lucked out and found a space right as we pulled in so we didn't have to walk from the business park across the street. We were seated immediately at 7:00 on a Friday night, and the place was crowded and hopping.

We helped oursleves to complimentary popcorn while we waited for our food. The kitchen seemed to take longer than normal, but the waitress was very aologetic and kept us updated. I ordered a beef brisket sandwich with a side of baked beans. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the beans were the right kind of tangy. My wife enjoyed her quarter chicken platter as well, declaring it cooked perfectly.

With their new addition, they are really emphasizing their long-as-your-arm draft beer list, and it does include something for everyone (although a majority did seem to be ales). One issue I had is that a beer list that long should really include prices and alcohol content. I don't mind trying new things, but when the frou-frou lager I picked randomly comes served in a glass I'd use for an ice cream sundae at home, I become suspicious of what I'm drinking. (It turned out to be only a dollar more than my wife's Guinness, but I stuck to one.)

The TVS are absolutely everywhere, some taking up an entire wall. It's a great place to catch a game, but certainly not for romance. But who expects that from a rib joint anyway?

• Visited August 2011
New York City, New York
“Good food, good place”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Wanted to go there for a while after a strong recommendation by Strobist.com (kinda off topic for him but...)
Well we finally got there for dinner on April 19th night on our way from NYC to Washington DC (and a few hours in Philly).
We were pretty hungry and I chose 2 meat platter, my wife took half of baby back ribs and our 12-year-old took family style pulled pork. First of all - we had to take half of that with us :) and had a lunch next day eating it up.
I'd say that ribs and pulled pork were the best we've tried so far. It's real. It's done as it should be. Just awesome.
As for my platter: beef brisket was a little bit too dry, tri-tip sirloin was great.
We also had 2 different types of local ale, which was great but a bit expensive.
Overall it's a good place to go both with kids and for beer - they have a bar and a lot of TVs on all walls, but they also have comfortable tables tucked slightly away.

• Visited April 2011