“Good Value for the Price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C

Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lanham
Plainfield
“Good Value for the Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

My partner & I arrived at the hotel prior to check-in and were warmly greeted by a front desk clerk named Jennifer, who let us know if we could wait 30 min. she would check us in and we would not incur the early check-in fee. Promptly at noon Jennifer called us over and checked us in.

We arrived back at the hotel after 10 p.m. and found the area to be quiet. Not menacing or unsafe. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom nicely decorated.

I must say that I was leery of staying at this hotel based upon the reviews I had read. I am glad I made the reservation. For the price I was quite satisfied. If you are looking for a hotel close to DC in addition to being reasonably priced, consider the Days Inn in Lanham MD.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

Don't do it , my family got bit by bed bugs enough said........

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank driftman75
READING
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

Very clean, comfortable, large room. Restaurant on site, and several others within easy walking distance. Rooms were very clean, bathroom upgraded and clean. Bed wasn't the most comfortable I ever slept on, but wasn't bad. Give you a lot of extra pillows on the king-sized beds and the temperature controls worked really well! Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Reading_travelor
Missbea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

I read some bad reviews about this place. We had a king room with flat screen tv, refridge and microwave. We paid 90.00 for 1 night and i thought every thing was good for that price. I would stay there again. I see the bad reviews but what do you want for 80.00 to 90.00 dollare a night, The Four Seasons ????

• Liked — the price and the rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Missbea
dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2007

BEWARE!!!! The hotel's' website is very misleading. They claim that a microwave and refrigerator is a standard amenity. But what they wont say, is that you will receive it only if you book a room with a Queen/King sized room. BTW the good rates are only on the rooms with the double beds. Secondly if you, by any chance, select the Advanced book rate, they will not accommodate you for cancelling, modifying or refunding your reservation money, even if you call them 4 days in advance, to do so. It is only mentioned in one corner of the website about that type of rate and normally in the course of booking, you will not even read it. Even the receipt after booking will not mention that you cannot modify your reservation. I called all the 1-800 nos of days inn, 1-888 nos for the customer service and the actual hotel itself. The service and people hired cannot speak English properly and they are rude in their dealings with the customer. I have chosen never to stay at a DAYS INN in future. I normally stay for months in hotels due to the nature of my work. But I will never choose DAYS INN again. Even the manager would not give me credit for the days I booked, if I agreed to postpone the days of my stay. She and the others at the hotel will say its a policy matter. But the fact of the matter is that you will not know about it, until its too late. Even after calling the hotel about the misleading part of their website on the microwave and refrigerator, they have failed to change it. Instead they told me to contact another number to report the same, as though it was my duty to do so. The whole episode was ridiculous. Please don't be misled. It is a trap. Not worth your hard earned money. I would rather stay elsewhere and pay more.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank friendlycustomer
Austin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

We've stayed in probably 50 Days Inns across the U. S. The one in Lanham, M.D. is by far the worst one in which we have ever stayed. Our advice: don't stay there.

When we first walked into the lobby of the Lanham, MD Days Inn on a Tuesday evening, we wondered why the clerks were behind what looked like what you might see at a Motel 6 late at night -- a 10' x 20' several inch thick cage of glass. As we were checking in, several strange-looking and poorly-dressed people came into the lobby. It wasn't too long until we figured out that we were in a really bad area.

We soon found out why, when we had made the reservation, that we were required to prepay for the entire several days' stay (Tuesday check-in/Saturday check-out).

When we got to our room, we did find that it was of reasonable size and nicely furnished. But the tub and sink didn't drain well because the drain plugs were broken and the safe didn't work.

Also, there was no wireless internet access available in the room (something that is described TWICE on their web site). And we had called to verify that since we had a lot of work to get done via the web during our stay. It turned out that their wireless internet reception was available only within a few rooms of the main elevator shaft and our room was further down the hall. We asked to be moved to one of the four rooms where we could get wireless internet access in the hall outside, but they told us those rooms were occupied and were reserved for the remainder of our stay for two groups arriving by bus the following evening. Our only alternative, they told us, was to go to the lobby whenever we needed to access the internet (which was much of the time we were there since we had to do some considerable business via the internet). And so that's what we had to do.

They told us that some recent winds had caused their wireless internet service to not work as well and that their repair person would be there in a day or two. Apparently that person did arrive a couple of days later, but even though the signal increased slightly, it still wasn't enough to get a strong enough signal to make a wireless connection. Bottom line: we had to take our laptop to the lobby every time we needed to get on the internet. And we kept getting returned emails that had sat on their server for 24-hours. So their advertised internet service was completely bogus.

They told us too that if we wanted a quiet room, we would have to switch rooms the next day, since the two busloads would contain children who would NOT be quiet. We moved to a different room the next day, but the kids still were running up and down the halls at all hours of the day and night screaming at the top of their lungs. Their adult supervisors tried to control them, but the occasional junior high scream still penetrated the walls of our room to disturb us.

And the safe didn't work in the new room either. So every time we left our room, I'd just take my laptop and store it in our rental car. Not terrible, but not what I expected, given what their website had advertised.

Don't eat in the "Paradise" Cove Restaurant there in the hotel. We made the mistake of doing that one afternoon. It's a pre-paid buffet. My friend took a couple of bites of the "food", and couldn't eat it because it was so greasy. I went ahead and had a plate of it, but I certainly regretted it for the next two days. I don't think my gut has ever felt so bloated as it did for those next several days. It made me feel uncomfortable for much of the time we were in the D. C. area.

Incidentally, rap music blasts in the restaurant and bar there. The day we ate there, we asked our wait person if she could turn down the music. Her idea of turning it down was to turn it from unbelievably loud to just plain overbearingly loud. So we sat there and ate our meal while having to listen to music that we couldn't believe was actually being broadcast in a Days Inn restaurant.

The female day manager really did attempt to deal with each of the issues we brought to her attention and she was very courteous as well, but the rest of the staff either spoke poor English or just didn't seem to care much.

The upsides were a decently furnished room, free parking, a wide screen TV and its proximity to the New Carrollton metro station (about 1.5 miles from the hotel).

But the downsides (the area; the feeling in the lobby of being in a crime-ridden location; the requirement to prepay the whole stay; the un-repaired plumbing fixtures; the safes that didn't work; the dysfunctional wireless internet; the noisy environment that interrupted our sleep; our having to switch rooms even though we indicated on our reservation that we wanted a quiet room with wireless internet; the horrible, greasy food in their restaurant, the loud rap music; and the mostly 3rd-world staff) overwhelming negated those upsides.

If you want to stay in a decent place in the D. C. area, avoid this place at all costs.

• Liked — The rooms were decently furnished and clean.
  • Disliked — Everything else was sub-par or not as advertised.
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank westoverroad
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

Myself along with 6 other relatives reserved rooms at this Days Inn for my uncle's wedding which was held about 10 minutes away. I just wanted to make sure to give the hotel a nice review. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I think that they may have just finished renovations on the hotel because just about everything looked new. The hotel staff was accomadating. No problems whatsoever. Also, there is a caribbean restaraunt downstairs. I ate breakfast there every morning (3 days)! The food was great! I had drinks at the bar one evening. I recommend the Long Island Iced Teas! Excellent! Overall it was a great trip. The hotel sits off of a major highway so up or down the street - either way, you will find plenty of stores and places to eat.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Johnco04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanham
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Staybridge Suites Washington D.C. - Greenbelt
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC

Been to Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C? Share your experiences!