“Great place to stay with family for a trip into DC!”

Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Landover
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I was looking for a hotel for one night with my family. This hotel wasn't the cheepest, but was a great rate for a DC trip. Loved the location, right by the metro station. They have shuttle service, but on weekends the parking at the metro is free, so we just drove our car ourselves. The pool was great with a hot tub/spa and they had a life guard on duty. I haven't seen a lifeguard at a hotel pool in a VERY long time. Having school age children with me, the guard made me feel very comfortable. They don't have a resturant so to speak, but have an amazing breakfast bar and seating area. They also have room service, and a lovely lounge space. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were to allow you to order room service and eat it in the lounge area (by the fire). The staff was bend over backwards lovely and helpful. The hotel was large enough that you felt like you had lots of room to roam but small enough that you didn't feel lost. Free parking at the hotel and lots of safety measures to enter and exit from the various doors. If you don't have a key card, you aren't getting in one of those doors. There is a fitness center and computer/business center. Both only accessable by key card. The rooms were clean, roomy enough but not enormous, and comfortable. I would recommend this location to ANYONE but if you are a family planning a getaway weekend to DC this is a great, quiet, safe location. Having grown up in the Baltimore/DC area I know that safety is not always easy to find when you don't know the area well. This one was so quiet! The hotel seemed to be in a business park area, not a neighborhood area.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Very nice staff, close to the subway/metro station - staff will drive you over there if you call down to front desk. We walked to metro station a couple of times & had them take us a couple of times. Once we arrived back at metro we would call the front desk for a pick-up and the longest we waited for them to come was ten minutes. Hotel had a very nice indoor pool & had a lifeguard on duty as well. We traveled with two teenage daughters & they loved the pool! Hot tub was nice after long days of walking in downtown DC. The only nearby food was a Subway across the street from the hotel in a business building. But it's right by the highway so we drove to breakfast & dinner a couple of times and it was 5 or 10 minutes to a strip of restaurants - very easy drive to find restaurants, etc. It is about a 20 minute metro ride to get to the main part of DC - but for the cost savings compared to the hotels nearer to downtown it was definitely worth it! We would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Stayed here in a King room for about 8 days. The rooms were well kept, clean and comfortable. The wireless internet access was quick and easy.

I didn't east breakfast here so I cannot say, but it was not cheap, though you could spend as much at say a local IHOP.

The bathroom was clean and comfortable, with good towels and always restocked with the small toiletries.

My only problem was that these rooms do not have a microwave. I called in advance to have one made available (as it says you can), but when I arrived, there was not to have. I was told I would have one placed in my room when it was available, but it didn't happen until I called the front desk a few days later.

But, I would recommend this place as a reasonable priced, clean and comfortable place with a friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Excellent hotel with friendly and very helpfull staff . Located close to Metro Station for tripping into DC. Security is good. Can't say a bad thing about this hotel. A good base for sightseeing in DC.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FDNYCAPT
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This hotel is very easy to get to by car. Just follow the "New Carrollton Station" exit signs on I-95 or US 50 and then turn onto Corporate Drive. The free parking combined with the proximity of the Metro station were the main reasons why l selected this hotel for my visit to DC.

Check in was efficient. Check out was fast too, to the point that I suppose I could've just left the keys in the room, but I saw nothing to indicate as such. The invoice was slipped under my door during the final night of my stay. I think my total interaction with the staff here was about two minutes for my entire stay, and that was fine with me.

The room was very clean. The bed was soft; I prefer a firmer one but I think I'm maybe in the minority here. Pillows were plentiful but not very supportive of my big head. They deformed into a useless wedge shape too easily. Wired internet access is available for free, but bring your own ethernet cable. They supply one in the closet but it's only a couple of feet long. I did a couple of speed tests and maxed out at about 300kbps download and 300kbps upload. It is sufficient for light web browsing and email.

The place was generally pretty quiet. I could hear guests in the hall and in the parking lot, but never heard any people or TVs in rooms beside me. There were rare instances of train whistles, helicopters, and highway noise (e.g. truck engine brake or loud tires) sometimes audible in the room. The fridge had a "snooze" mode in it which shut off the compressor for eight hours at the press of a button. This is a great idea, though the cabinet that the fridge was in deadened much of the noise already.

The TV is of the CRT variety and it had a decent selection of channels, though I thought its volume control had too big of a gap between notches, especially 0 and 1 (too loud). The desk and table didn't seem well suited to the chair that was provided. I'm over 6' tall but I could not get the chair up high enough to make using the desk or table comfortable with a laptop.

I make a habit of leaving the "do not disturb" sign on my door since I do not need service during a stay that is less than a week. This prompted housekeeping to leave a bag of clean towels and toiletries hanging on my door for a couple of days. A nice gesture, but not needed. I heard housekeeping knocking on doors as early as 8 am.

The attraction of this hotel is the short walk to the New Carrollton Metro Station. It is a mostly flat walk with sidewalks that are in good shape and crosswalks with signals. If you're visiting DC then you'll be walking a lot anyway, so just plan on that ten minute walk to and from the Metro. They will operate the hotel shuttle van to the station, but it's not going to be much faster than walking.

The ride on the Orange Line train from New Carrollton to Federal Triangle station in DC is about a half hour. I specifically made a point to avoid Metro during rush hour (left after 9 and returned after 6) and never had a hard time finding a seat.

There is nothing in the immediate area but some low rise office buildings, the Metro station, and a Subway restaurant in one of the office buildings across the street. The Subway doesn't appear to be terribly inviting from its location in the office building, but it is open to the public. The neighborhood is walled in on the east and south by highways and by train tracks on the north and west. If you don't have a car on your trip then this hotel might not be a good choice for you. Annapolis Road is close by which has a bunch of fast food restaurants, gas stations, a supermarket, and a CVS. Take US Route 50 east off of Garden City Dr, take the immediate exit onto MD 410, then take the second right onto MD 450/Annapolis Rd.

If you are driving down to the DC area (or perhaps flying into Baltimore Airport and renting a car) and want a place to spend a few nights with close access to the Metro without being gouged on parking fees, this is an excellent location to consider.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Jonathan L
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed in this Courtyard by Marriott in June 2009 - purpose was vacationing to tour Washington DC- This hotel had several plusses:
1. Close to metro station (New Carrollton) - healthy people can walk it- maybe 10 minutes) or hotel provides free shuttle service - also appreciated!
2. Rooms were excellent- bedding super comfortable! Clean and always neat each day when we returned- no complaints here.. amenities fine- linens, coffeemaker, hair dryer, iron and board- etc. all great! Also free papers -USA TODAY & Wall ST. Journal daily.
3. Staff very pleasant and helpful- all good so far... now for the areas needing improvement! - Dining room was the big disappointment- terribly understaffed- We ate dinner there 2 nights due to bad weather and not willing to metro back in to DC- in a dining room seeting right at 50 people- ONE SERVER on duty to cover the whole room! I felt very sorry for this woman- she did the very best she could given the circumstances- i hold the management responsible for the slow service- and the breakfast buffet could have been better- the food was good - just not hot! and we did not arrive at the very end of the breakfast time either!
4. SUGGESTION- increase the size and choices of food/other pharmacy items of the "Market shop" given that there is nothing close to this hotel- no grocery, restaraunt or pharmacy in close walking distance. It is right in the middle of many office buildings-

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed here Valentines day for 3 days, to spend in DC. If you are driving, to visit DC, Its excellent. If you are taking train also great, cause the Metro and Amtrak is nearby. If you are flying in, well, its abit our of the way of the airports, Dulles and Reagan but also well worth it because of the reasonable rates.
Only 10 mins away from the Heart of DC. I booked a 2 day tour of DC through the Old Trolley, which was great. We drove into Union Station, parked there for $17 for the day, and hopped on the Trolly for the day. Tony, one of our tour drivers, was fantastic. But thats for another review..Ample parking at the hotel, buffet breakfast, we spent $25 for two and well worth it, I thought. The first night after coming back, we wanted some midnight snacks and ordered from a local deli. They have some good recomendations... and menus.. They didnt serve dinner in the dining room during the weekend, but you could order food in. We went out for a nice dinner at Mar de Plata, in Dupont Circle...

The hotel is very clean, the rooms are nice, and very clean, the beds real comfortable, we had king size, plush seally... tv, and free internet access, they provide everything.

The room had a small refrig, iron, blowdryer.. The staff was really nice, friendly and we had no problems. After this I was going to stay again, on our way back from Florida, but because of the some unexpected things that needed our attention, we went back straight home. I would definately stay there again, I joined the Marriott rewards and look forward to staying at the marriott from now on....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelphotoNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landover
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
1 mi away
Best Western Capital Beltway
1 mi away
Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C

Been to Courtyard New Carrollton Landover? Share your experiences!