“Typical clean and comfortable Courtyard”

Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Landover
Hudson Valley
“Typical clean and comfortable Courtyard”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Stayed here in a King room for about 8 days. The rooms were well kept, clean and comfortable. The wireless internet access was quick and easy.

I didn't east breakfast here so I cannot say, but it was not cheap, though you could spend as much at say a local IHOP.

The bathroom was clean and comfortable, with good towels and always restocked with the small toiletries.

My only problem was that these rooms do not have a microwave. I called in advance to have one made available (as it says you can), but when I arrived, there was not to have. I was told I would have one placed in my room when it was available, but it didn't happen until I called the front desk a few days later.

But, I would recommend this place as a reasonable priced, clean and comfortable place with a friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
NEW YORK
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Excellent hotel with friendly and very helpfull staff . Located close to Metro Station for tripping into DC. Security is good. Can't say a bad thing about this hotel. A good base for sightseeing in DC.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FDNYCAPT
Portland, Maine
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This hotel is very easy to get to by car. Just follow the "New Carrollton Station" exit signs on I-95 or US 50 and then turn onto Corporate Drive. The free parking combined with the proximity of the Metro station were the main reasons why l selected this hotel for my visit to DC.

Check in was efficient. Check out was fast too, to the point that I suppose I could've just left the keys in the room, but I saw nothing to indicate as such. The invoice was slipped under my door during the final night of my stay. I think my total interaction with the staff here was about two minutes for my entire stay, and that was fine with me.

The room was very clean. The bed was soft; I prefer a firmer one but I think I'm maybe in the minority here. Pillows were plentiful but not very supportive of my big head. They deformed into a useless wedge shape too easily. Wired internet access is available for free, but bring your own ethernet cable. They supply one in the closet but it's only a couple of feet long. I did a couple of speed tests and maxed out at about 300kbps download and 300kbps upload. It is sufficient for light web browsing and email.

The place was generally pretty quiet. I could hear guests in the hall and in the parking lot, but never heard any people or TVs in rooms beside me. There were rare instances of train whistles, helicopters, and highway noise (e.g. truck engine brake or loud tires) sometimes audible in the room. The fridge had a "snooze" mode in it which shut off the compressor for eight hours at the press of a button. This is a great idea, though the cabinet that the fridge was in deadened much of the noise already.

The TV is of the CRT variety and it had a decent selection of channels, though I thought its volume control had too big of a gap between notches, especially 0 and 1 (too loud). The desk and table didn't seem well suited to the chair that was provided. I'm over 6' tall but I could not get the chair up high enough to make using the desk or table comfortable with a laptop.

I make a habit of leaving the "do not disturb" sign on my door since I do not need service during a stay that is less than a week. This prompted housekeeping to leave a bag of clean towels and toiletries hanging on my door for a couple of days. A nice gesture, but not needed. I heard housekeeping knocking on doors as early as 8 am.

The attraction of this hotel is the short walk to the New Carrollton Metro Station. It is a mostly flat walk with sidewalks that are in good shape and crosswalks with signals. If you're visiting DC then you'll be walking a lot anyway, so just plan on that ten minute walk to and from the Metro. They will operate the hotel shuttle van to the station, but it's not going to be much faster than walking.

The ride on the Orange Line train from New Carrollton to Federal Triangle station in DC is about a half hour. I specifically made a point to avoid Metro during rush hour (left after 9 and returned after 6) and never had a hard time finding a seat.

There is nothing in the immediate area but some low rise office buildings, the Metro station, and a Subway restaurant in one of the office buildings across the street. The Subway doesn't appear to be terribly inviting from its location in the office building, but it is open to the public. The neighborhood is walled in on the east and south by highways and by train tracks on the north and west. If you don't have a car on your trip then this hotel might not be a good choice for you. Annapolis Road is close by which has a bunch of fast food restaurants, gas stations, a supermarket, and a CVS. Take US Route 50 east off of Garden City Dr, take the immediate exit onto MD 410, then take the second right onto MD 450/Annapolis Rd.

If you are driving down to the DC area (or perhaps flying into Baltimore Airport and renting a car) and want a place to spend a few nights with close access to the Metro without being gouged on parking fees, this is an excellent location to consider.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Jonathan L
lexington KY
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed in this Courtyard by Marriott in June 2009 - purpose was vacationing to tour Washington DC- This hotel had several plusses:
1. Close to metro station (New Carrollton) - healthy people can walk it- maybe 10 minutes) or hotel provides free shuttle service - also appreciated!
2. Rooms were excellent- bedding super comfortable! Clean and always neat each day when we returned- no complaints here.. amenities fine- linens, coffeemaker, hair dryer, iron and board- etc. all great! Also free papers -USA TODAY & Wall ST. Journal daily.
3. Staff very pleasant and helpful- all good so far... now for the areas needing improvement! - Dining room was the big disappointment- terribly understaffed- We ate dinner there 2 nights due to bad weather and not willing to metro back in to DC- in a dining room seeting right at 50 people- ONE SERVER on duty to cover the whole room! I felt very sorry for this woman- she did the very best she could given the circumstances- i hold the management responsible for the slow service- and the breakfast buffet could have been better- the food was good - just not hot! and we did not arrive at the very end of the breakfast time either!
4. SUGGESTION- increase the size and choices of food/other pharmacy items of the "Market shop" given that there is nothing close to this hotel- no grocery, restaraunt or pharmacy in close walking distance. It is right in the middle of many office buildings-

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed here Valentines day for 3 days, to spend in DC. If you are driving, to visit DC, Its excellent. If you are taking train also great, cause the Metro and Amtrak is nearby. If you are flying in, well, its abit our of the way of the airports, Dulles and Reagan but also well worth it because of the reasonable rates.
Only 10 mins away from the Heart of DC. I booked a 2 day tour of DC through the Old Trolley, which was great. We drove into Union Station, parked there for $17 for the day, and hopped on the Trolly for the day. Tony, one of our tour drivers, was fantastic. But thats for another review..Ample parking at the hotel, buffet breakfast, we spent $25 for two and well worth it, I thought. The first night after coming back, we wanted some midnight snacks and ordered from a local deli. They have some good recomendations... and menus.. They didnt serve dinner in the dining room during the weekend, but you could order food in. We went out for a nice dinner at Mar de Plata, in Dupont Circle...

The hotel is very clean, the rooms are nice, and very clean, the beds real comfortable, we had king size, plush seally... tv, and free internet access, they provide everything.

The room had a small refrig, iron, blowdryer.. The staff was really nice, friendly and we had no problems. After this I was going to stay again, on our way back from Florida, but because of the some unexpected things that needed our attention, we went back straight home. I would definately stay there again, I joined the Marriott rewards and look forward to staying at the marriott from now on....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelphotoNY
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed here for 4 days during the inauguration of President Obama. The price was steep $519.00 per night.... but less than those in the city of DC. It is a shame all the hotels used the opportunity during this awful economy to take advantage of the public on such an historic occasion. The address of the hotel comes up Hyattsville MD in the Garmin GPS so that was bit confusing since the Marriott Hotel Website gave the city as Landover MD. We called the hotel for clairification. The staff was friendly and the hotel was modern and very clean. It did not have the Plasma TV and the rooms were tight . The hotel is located very close to the New Carrolton Metro train station and the Hotel staff dropped us off and picked us up from the station very timely and was very courteous. This made it easy to get around the crowded city of more than 2 million during this event. There is a charge for Breakfast at this location although I thought $519.00 should have included breakfast. I would stay again and recommend to family and friend.

• Liked — Very good location to Metro Station.
  • Disliked — The price.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mastcfw
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The good: The hotel is very reasonable. It is close to the Metro and the Amtrack station plus it has a shuttle which is nice. The rooms are clean and I didn't sniff an odor like the other reviewer. The bad: The staff was either great or horrible. There are no restaurants within walking distance so make sure you have a car. Also the "free breakfast" is $10.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landover
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Extended Stay America - Washington, DC - Landover
Courtyard Largo Capital Beltway
Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo

Been to Courtyard New Carrollton Landover? Share your experiences!