“Double Charged For Room”

Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Landover
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Double Charged For Room”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Booked our three night stay through Kayak July 13 for August 10-13, 2012. Funds were deducted from my checking account July 17.

Our stay at the Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover started off nice. Friendly guest service and willing to answer questions about near by places. The room was clean. Bed was comfortable. Woke up two mornings (Saturday and Sunday) in a row at 7:30 am to a screaming child next door.

Checked out Monday, the 13th with the Guest Service lady stating that my room was pre-paid and I was all checked out. Thursday, August 16, I checked my checking account to find that Courtyard had charged me an additional $280.00. I called (6) times and was unable to have someone answer the phone. On the 7th call, I wrote down a 800 number to make reservations. After being on hold for several minutes, I explained to the lady I had been overcharged for my stay. Provided her with all of my information. She proceeded to tell me that they put a "hold" on my credit card just in case they needed to charge me for any damages, etc. to the room. I explained that my account reflected a "deduction" not a "hold". Finally, I convinced her to take a look at my account. And I am put on hold. She comes back on the line to tell me, I am correct that I was charged a second time by a mistake. She transferred me to Shawn, located at this Marriott where I explained to her the situation. She assured me she would speak with her General Manager to get this cleared up and she would call me back. She also tells me that I should have the money back in my account in (3) to (5) days. As of today, my account has not yet been credited nor have I received a phone call from Shawn or anyone else with Marriott checking to see if I received my credit. So, I called at lunch today and spoke with another lady and explained why I was calling. She said she would speak with her General Manager to check the status of my credit and give me a call back. She did call back to get my bank's phone number so she could call them to have these funds expediated back into my account. A few minutes later, I received another call from her and she said the bank will be taking care of it. Late this eveing I checked my account and guess what..... no credits have been applied to my account! I call the bank and they inform me they informed Marriott that they would have to credit my account not the bank. I then called and spoke with a man and explained my situation. He told me all he needed to do was credit my account and asked me for my credit card information. He was not sure why this was not done when I first called, Thursday. A few minutes later another man, Nick called to inform me, he spoke to someone else at Marriott who spoke with Shawn saying they had credited my account last Thursday and that it takes a few days. These people apparently have absolutely no clue on how to credit a customer's account when they double dip! Not once have they offered any other compensation for their error and their inability to refund a customer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Virginia_Girl_13
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were double-billed for your recent stay with us. I did confirm with your bank that the funds were credited to your account on the 16th and that they have cleared your account at this time. Thank you for taking my call earlier, and as I mentioned, please let me know if I can assist further and I will be happy to do so.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My stay at this hotel was very good. Room was clean and comfortable. Clerk at check in was nice and effecient, but an hour later I went downstairs for metro information from a different clerk, he seemed very bothered by my question and handed me a map with annoyance, maybe he had a bad day. I waited the next day to ask further metro information from another clerk who was helpful. No restaurants within walking distance, but there is one in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KathySimu
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is in a business area a few miles outside Washington DC. We stayed there on a Saturday night and got a really good rate. Our room was nice and clean and the beds were really comfortable. The large indoor pool is open from 10 to 10 on weekends. We had to wait until a little after 10 while they cleaned to pool, but we enjoyed a dip in the pool and a soak in the hot tub before we checked out. However, note that the posted hours for the pool are 5 PM to 10 PM on weekdays, probably because this is a business hotel. The room rate does not include breakfast, but they have food available at the Bistro. The man who was running the Bistro when we were there was very polite and efficient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JBarohn
Hopkins, South Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past few years and this visit like always was a nice visit. Over the past couple of years, this hotel continues to improve. The lobby has been renovated and the restaurant is very nice. My room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a decent fitness room with a nice set of dumbells and treadmills. It could use a nautilas machine or some sort of weight machine. The pool was nice as well as the hot tub. I could have easily given this hotel four stars if it were not for a few annoying things. The biggest problem was with the internet. The hotel advertises complimentary internet, but the complimentary internet is completely useless. It doesn't move fast enough to even download a picture and once a few people get on, it grinds to a halt. The solution of course would be to pay the $6.95 per day internet upgrade. I don't pay for internet. Even the cheapest of hotels offer decent free internet that works, so until they offer free "upgraded" internet, this will probably be my last stay. I checked out early and moved to a different hotel with free internet that worked fine. The hotel has a decent business center, but the computers have some sort of program or operating system added to it that really limits the computer capabilities. I wasn't able to change the printer settings to print a page in landscape rather than portrait so that was sort of annoying, but it was better than nothing. I'm sure they have done this to prevent people from adding viruses to their system so I can understand what they are doing. The alarm clock in my room did not work. Luckily I always travel with a second alarm clock so I did not oversleep, but I was a little surprised the buzzer on the clock didn't work. The bed in the hotel is top notch. Probably the most comfortable bed of any other chain. I did like that, but the dresser drawer kept falling open on its own and the television remote had a dead battery in it. This room had a refrigerator, but no microwave. Again, even the cheapest of hotel chains now have a microwave and refrigerator in the room. These minor inconveniences could easily be fixed by the hotel which would of course garner a better rating from me.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the same wing as the restaurant you can save yourself some walking.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank brainwasher64
, General Manager at Courtyard New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that the internet experience did not meet your expectations. We recently overhauled our entire networking infrastructure, which included expanding the bandwidth for the property. I will follow up with the vendor to ensure that there isn't an issue with the system. We definitely understand how staying connected on the road is vital to our guests.

In addition, we do have an inventory of microwaves available on request. Guests can notify the front desk or reservationist to take advantage of this amenity. I apologize that this option was not presented to you.

I hope that we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Here for work twice in 2012. Shuttles to Metro line (New Carrollton) and also other major stops nearby. Clean, Comfortable, Quiet, and considerably less than downtown DC. Buy a metro pass for the week and you will still save a boatload staying out here. Not much to do in the area, and you do have the inconvenice of longer travel into the city, but a nice hotel. Staff friendly and attentive.

My bed was a little too soft for me so I asked to switch rooms and they found me a room with a more firm bed.

Room Tip: They are all about the same.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RoadKing68
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for sharing your experience.
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our entire family reserved 15 rooms in mid April for the Arlington burial of my father-in-law. The staff was incredibly helpful in arranging the reservations for the block of rooms, and I also reserved the two meeting rooms for a family dinner Monday night. Courtyard catering does not offer anything beyond a sandwich type menu so I arranged for Boston Market to cater the dinner. Marriott staff helped with set up, providing water and clean up so everything ran well.

Clean facility, quiet. The only negative was how the building was designed in regards to where the elevator is. There are three floors but the only elevator was all the way at the back of the hotel requiring you to walk way back to the rear to get to an upper room. Very inconvenient. Next time I stay there I'll request a first floor room near the handicapped entrance. In fact, we did this just recently when we stayed at a Courtyard in Annapolis with an identical floor plan and it worked great.

Check in was delayed because the rooms were not cleaned. Some waited for an hour in the Bistro for a room to become available. One Bistro staffer,whose name escapes me, was incredibly friendly and helpful and I know my mother-in-law tipped her generously.

I would recommend this clean hotel as being a good value for when visiting the DC area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank QueenieJeannie
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review! The hotel does have a unique layout. A map of the property can be found on the hotel specific webpage on the Marriott website. I would encourage upcoming guests to take a moment and review it, especially those who may have limited mobility.

In addition to the property map, there is also a PDF version of the hotel's Event Menu which provides all of the options for food and beverage in the meeting rooms.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Check-in was a breeze, staff was friendly and rooms were comfortable. Nice workout facility and the courtyard was appealing. I loved the fact it is so close to the metro station. I would recommend this hotel to both tourists and business travelers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GottaRun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landover
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
Courtyard Largo Capital Beltway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Courtyard New Carrollton Landover? Share your experiences!