“Nice hotel, good breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express La Plata
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in La Plata
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We checked in late due to a vehicle breakdown. We got a full briefing on the hotel.

The breakfast was very good, with a variety of choices.

The lobby computers were modern (all-in-one with Windows 7); however, they had no power when I tried to use them. After the hidden outlet strip was turned on, there was no internet connectivity after it connected to the hotel wifi. Had to unpack my laptop to proceed.

Room Tip: We think the first floor could have been noisy. There was a birthday party going on when we arrived...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for Sat and Sun night. When we checked in, they upgraded us to a suite because of overbooking. Unfortunately, there were only 2 of us, so we didn't get to take advantage of the extra room. Shortly after checking in, we visited with family and returned after 10. The hotel was jammed with people and lots of kids. Kids in the room above us were making lots of noise with running back and forth. After 1/2 hour, we called the front desk and it soon subsided. The continental breakfast was good - I was pleasantly surprised with how they were able to keep food supplied with so many people. When we were getting ready to go out for the day (around 10) , housekeeping knocked on the door. I said we would be leaving in a 1/2 hour. However, she was insistent that she at least wanted the dirty towels. I had to say no, almost being rude to her. I have never had any service person talk that way that I can recall. That night when we returned to the room, I noticed that the coffee pot hadn't been cleaned, nor had we been restocked with coffee packets for the next day. Also, there were no new "glasses" left to restock what we had used. It was disappointing to see. I called to the front desk and they said we could come down and get some...I was expecting them to say they could drop them by. If they were unable to leave the desk, she should have explained so and I would have happily made the trip down. There was no explanation, so wasn't sure. Other service people at the hotel - when checking in, housekeeping on Monday morning, and those at the continental breakfast both mornings - were very pleasant and provided excellent service. Unfortunately, there's only a couple places to stay in La Plata. We chose the Holiday Inn Express because we have stayed at them before and had great experiences. Next time though I go to visit my family, I think I'll stay next door at the Best Western.

Room Tip: I suggest to get a room on the 4th (top) floor. That way there's no guests in the room above...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear rmksmk,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, housekeeping and the noise during your stay. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am a nurse and work at the local hospital and this hotel is convenient for me to get to if I cannot get home because of bad weather.

I stayed here previously when it was a Sleep Inn, and this stay during hurricane Sandy was the first time I stayed here since it became a Holiday Inn Express. The facility was ok as a Sleep Inn, but has improved now that it is a Holiday Inn Express.

Everyone on the staff, especically Donna, was kind, friendly and helpful. The room was cl iean, and the bed was comfortable. The towels in the bath were soft and fluffy.

There is more selection with the morning breakfast and the cinamon buns are to die for....
Hopefully we will have another mild winter in Maryland and I won't have to use this facililty any time soon, but i know that if I do, that I will get a good nights sleep and be comfortable during my stay..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Let me start by saying that with hotels there are two things that mkae a hotel a hit or a miss, Service and cleanliness! This hotel was a big hit with both.

The Good - The cleanliness. Overall it was a clean hotel, nothing dirty, everything in it's place, and a pleasant atmosphere. It is not a place you walk into and say OMG look how new and shiny this place is, but it is definitely good. The rooms were stocked nicely, the sheets were clean, and I got 6 pillows instead of my usualy request for 8.

The Great - The Service. The entire staff seemed dedicated to making sure that every need or desire (appropriate ones) were met if within their power. Despite the hotel being completley booked, they were able to make me feel like my wife and I were the only people there. We also got the room with the jaccuzzi right in the bedroom! Seriously, a holday inn express that has a jaccuzzi right in the bedroom so you can bath and watch tv to your hearts content! I will make sure whenever I am in this area I stay at this hotel! Definitely a place worth going to for enjoyment.

Why You'd Avoid - Location Location Location. The Hotel is right across the street from a sheriff station and a jail. While it is true most criminals want to be as far away from cops as they can, it still creates a slightly uneasy feeling. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going to stay at this hotel again, but I think if this makes you uneasy, you should know.

Overall a great experience. The staff was amazing, was willing to give great recomendations on what to do, or eat, or whatever. Thank you for renewing my faith in small town Holiday inn expresses. Gosh I love the pancake makers!

Room Tip: Get the Jaccuzzi room! SOOOOOO worht it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This holiday inn express is a great place to stay. We stayed here this past weekend attending a wedding in the area. It is in a good location with plenty of places to eat around it. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were spotless.We asked for a room with 2 queen size beds and not only did we get that the room also had a couch with a pull out. For just an ordinary hotel we were very pleased with our stay here. they also offer a good breakfast in the morning with plenty of choices complimentary.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel was very easy to find on what seems to be a main strip and is located among many shopping malls. It was recently renovated. The front desk staff is very nice, friendly and helpful, both the evening and morning person. Breakfast was hot, plentiful and varied. Very pleased and will definitely be back. The room was comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Express in La Plata, MD is just off the main road through the county (301/Crain Road) which, if going south, goes all the way to the toll bridge into Virginia (maybe a 20 minute drive), and if going north, will take you up to the routes towards the beltway around Washington, DC (probably a 45 min drive).

The hotel is nice and looks like most well kept Holiday Inn Expresses. Large lobby, small pool and gym, and meeting areas. It isn't as large as other HIE's we have stayed in, but even so, the rooms were amazingly large. We had a king room, which came with a sleeper sofa. The bathroom had a walk-in shower (no door, you just step in and walk a few steps to the shower), which might be ideal for anyone who has trouble getting in and out of a shower.

The hotel is near all kinds of shopping, restaurants, and a short ride to historic La Plata. It is good value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2012
#4 of 12 in Waldorf
Residence Inn Waldorf
Residence Inn Waldorf
#3 of 12 in Waldorf

Been to Holiday Inn Express La Plata? Share your experiences!