WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Marie's Diner

Marie's Diner
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in La Plata
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maryland
“A nice local place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have heard a lot of good things over the years. I finally went in the other day for lunch. I had a good meal. I got the turkey w mashed potatos & corn bread. The place was busy & I still had my meal in 5 mins. The food was good. I did only have a basic meal but next tine I will take the family & try a new dish. The prices were good & it was much better than a #1,2,or 3 at the FF joint. I got my food faster than goining through the drive through anyway. I like trying the mom & pops & this was a good one.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank jimloves2travel

Maryland
“Just like your mama made it--if your mama went to a culinary institute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and 8-year-old daughter met friends in La Plata who eat often at this diner with their year-old son. They speak highly of it, and now I will do the same.

Though the diner doesn't look like much on the outside--really just a smallish box-shaped building--the servers and food are excellent. Don't come for the ambiance; it's just a bunch of tables in one room, and a separate room in the back, the latter of which was held in reservation when we arrived.

Although it looks like a mom-and-pop place, apparently one or more of the chefs had formal training at some culinary institute or another. It seems an odd place to ply one's trade if you have classical cooking training, but it worked for me.

We got there about 5:45 pm on a Saturday. There were only a few other tables taken, mostly by elderly, friendly locals. When my friend's son would squeal loudly and he would try to hush him, diners at nearby tables told us that the shrieks didn't bother them, that's what babies do. They were very friendly.

So were the servers. They doted on the baby and spoke casually with our friends, because they are regulars. The servers offered recommendations for that night, and we accepted most of them.

I started off with a side salad, with a barbecue burger as an entree. The salad was good, better than you might expect for $2.25. The burger, at $5.95, was thick and delicious. The sauce was tangy without being too spicy, and an onion ring placed between the patty and bun provided a nice kick of spice and crunch. I'm salivating now remembering it.

My wife ordered a meat ball sub that she said was delicious. It held four huge meatball, sauce, and melted cheese on a toasted bun. It came with medium-thick fries that had a nice amount of salt. My daughter had a pancake, bacon, and a vanilla milkshake. She was very satisfied, but she couldn't finish it all. I made the sacrifice and finished the shake, which was good.

I forget what our friends had--one had a stew, and I think the other had a cheese steak sub. They were both very happy with their meals, which neither of them finished. For five of us, including drinks and tip, the tab came to $60. You just can't beat that, at least around these parts.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

They give you a ton of food! It is a very good classic diner! The pankcakes fill up an entire plate and the omelets are huge and tasty as well.

Visited December 2012
Stafford, Virginia
“parking lot doesn't always tell the truth.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Trying to find a place to eat while on the road we spotted this restaurant. The parking lot was full. Good sign. When we entered only 1 table was occupied. We ordered our food and as we waited took in the odd decor. Nothing fancy. Car pictures posted to wall. Still trying to figure out all the cars in parking lot.
Very large family size tables. Very clean bathroom.
Between a 3piece Fish basket and a Tuna melt with sweet potato fries the food was bland and the taste was off on every piece of food. We payed bill left still feeling hungry and wondered about parking lot.
To bad as this is on main travel road.
We have since thought perhaps area is used as commuter lot.
The only time a full parking lot was so disappointing.

Visited January 2012