River & Trail Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Owner description: River and Trail Outfitters of Knoxville, Maryland has been family owned and operated since 1972. River and Trail offers guided and unguided white water and mellow water rafting, tubing, kayaking, canoeing trips as well as biking hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing in the historic and scenic Harpers Ferry, WV area. We also sell new and used canoes, kayaks and paddling accessories located in our shop. Check out our website for details on our various trips, ranging from our Paddle N Wine Tour to our Team Building
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We had a great time whitewater rafting thanks to the team at River and Trail outfitters. It was four of us on the trip, my husband and I two teens 14 and 19. Everyone had a great time. Midway we stopped for a picnic lunch by the river. Our guide Sasha was the best. Very knowledgeable about the river and the history of the area.

2  Thank Raymona B

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Thanks to Dave and his SIL Shane for teaching a bunch of neophytes not only the correct strokes but safety tips as well. Shane is especially good with children. Knowledgeable and take their time answering tons of questions (patience) plus time in the water made our first lesson well worth it.

1  Thank Beth T
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I love outdoor adventures. Harper's Ferry is one of my favorite places to stop off at when I travel through the area so it was an ideal location for us to spend our day off together. I casually selected River Riders to provide us a guided white water kayaking tour of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers and was not really sure what to expect. They provided us with details of our itinerary and what we would need to bring and wear beforehand so we were all set for the experience. They were conveniently located just off of route 340 and our tour guide Maury enthusiastically greeted us upon our arrival. He picked up our names right from the get-go and engaged us in some light conversation with the other couple along the ride to the starting point. I came into the trip thinking I would be able to figure out how to maneuver the kayak on my own, however; luckily, Maury spent a sufficient amount of time covering details that we would need to know so we would get the most value out of our experience without any injuries. He guided us down the river and gave us signals so we would know exactly what to do in certain situations. Both us and the other couple were looking to have a relaxing experience on the river with a little excitement and Maury tailored our trip so we could soak up the scenery and have moments of adrenaline packed action as well. He always had a unique, relevant and interesting piece of history and knowledge to share at almost every turn which bonded us as we floated down the river. They provided us with water and smiles at the end of the trip which gave us the satisfaction we desired. We are excited to go back soon and check out the tons of other adventures River Rivers provide!!

Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Our group of friends were late getting back to the end of the river (using Adventure Center) and we were stranded there without phones, panicking when no one came to pick us up. Luckily someone at River and Trail (stationed close by) saved us. He tracked down the right person's cell phone and got us fetched. We will definitely use River and Trail next time. They were so nice and also you can park next to the river in their space so you don't have to wait for a pickup that may not ever come.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Recently my wife and I decided to try kayaking, but neither of us had any experience. We chose River & Trail Outfitters because they offered a introductory kayaking course, and we could not have been more happy with it. Mike, the instructor, was knowledgeable and personable, and he knew how to keep his audience engaged with humor. But he was also deadly serious about the risks of getting into a kayak unprepared, without the proper equipment, or without understanding the conditions of the weather and water. When he took us onto the river, both my wife and I needed some extra guidance in order to handle our kayaks effectively, and he instructed us in the proper way to handle the boats so that, by the end of the session, we felt much more confident in our abilities. We are already planning a return visit to take kayaks out on our own. Highly recommended.