Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Livery Around a C & O Canal Trail Washout

I got the telephone number from the National Park Service Website under 'Alerts' for washouts... read more

Reviewed October 3, 2018
Vaughn G
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
A Lazy Tube Ride Through History

I have run rivers all over the country and R&T does a fine job. This is not white water; it's lazy... read more

Reviewed September 20, 2018
Steve C
Annapolis, Maryland

All reviews white water rafting potato salad harpers ferry rafting trip corny jokes river trail tube ride great guide great trip starting point historical facts zip lining awesome experience year olds picnic lunch a lot of fun raft guide
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I highly recommend the Mellow Float from R & T! Great family fun. My niece used all sorts of extra energy, swimming in the tube, out of the tube, kicking, spinning, etc. Meanwhile, I could chill out and just float along, enjoying the beautiful view and cool waters. Nora at the office was cheerful and helpful. Kyle was the guy at the Millville take out, keeping things moving smoothly, and Jose, our bus driver was pleasant and helpful. Fun people, easy quick bus ride to the drop off and a decent length float. Today was quicker than with lower water, so we just did another round! Wonderful, easy water fun!!!

1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

For the 4th of July I decided I wanted to be in the outdoors. So my friend and I decided to go tubing. I hadn't been since I was a girl scout and my friend had never been tubing (and can't swim). We decided to do the flat tubing. We had a great time. It was a nice sunny day and it was just a perfect time. The only reason this review isn't excellent is because I believe the staff could have been more helpful. The staff knew it was our first time tubing with them and they just told us to get a life vest and tube and get on the bus. No one offered us string to tie the tubes together or explained the purpose. In the water, my friend and I got separated and this nice gentleman helped us get back together again. The same gentleman had to show us how to paddle/steer so that we could avoid plants/dead trees in the water. I believe the staff should have explained all that before just so we felt comfortable. If offered string, we would have used the string to stay together. Since we didn't have sting my friend just held on to my tube the entire time and thats no fun. They do have a changing tent so that you can change out of your wet clothes in privacy. They also have picnic tables and porta pottys just in case you need to use them.

1  Thank LonnaDa
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have just completed my third trip in 3 weeks with River and Trail. The registration is very easy, either by phone or online. The office staff was very helpful (even when I called in with a late registration!) and courteous. On the white water raft trip, our guide was engaging and found ways to make us all laugh and have fun. The kayak trip to Sweetshine was a fabulous retreat on the Shenandoah with a tasty finish. Today I had the pleasure of kayaking on the Antietam Creek with 2 incredibly knowledge guides and had a delicious brunch. The opportunities to commune with nature and learn about the area history are very much appreciated. Thank you for making these opportunities available!

1  Thank Brenda S
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I wasn't sure how high of a rating I wanted to give this establishment. Meagan, our rafting guide, was outstanding! But, my overall impression of River & Trail Outfitters was less than stellar. With a party of 5 friends, we booked a 1:30pm rafting trip. That was delayed close to an hour while we waited for another large group to arrive so that we could all be transported to the river together. In my opinion, a late group is not MY problem. My group was there well in advance & making us wait was totally unacceptable. When we were finally suiting up with life vests, it became apparent that R&T rarely, if ever, cleans or disinfects the life vests. The smell was nauseating. Getting a different vest didn't help as they were all this way! The safety talk before taking the trip seemed to be lacking as well. I have used other outfitters in the past and this trip fell very short. My rating would be alot lower if not for Meagan...

1  Thank care p
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Care P,
I would like the opportunity to find a way to make this up to you. Please contact me personally.
John Gonano
301.834.9950

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our 2pm departure was delayed to 3:15pm. We were driven to a river that was 40 minutes away when we were originally supposed to leave from campground. Our bus driver took a wrong turn and drove into Virginia by accident and had to turn around. Finally got on water, our water trip took 3 hours and 15 minutes because it was such a slow river. Our original trip was supposed to be done in 2 or 2 1/2 hours. Got to the take out and had to wait over an hour for someone to come get us and the boats and then had a long ride back to camp. Ended up arriving at camp after 9pm, missed our group dinner, missed all of planned evening activities. This was an activity planned for a group of boy scouts and their families. Horrible trip. Never again.

4  Thank B R

Dear BR,
Thank you for reporting the problems you had on your trip. As a member of the Baihly family that owns River and Trail Outfitters, I apologize for the inconveniences you and the others experienced. Due to high water levels on the Potomac we sent your group on a different river and obviously did not prepare our staff adequately. Nora, one of our managers, has spoken to one of your trip leaders and attempted to contact you by phone in an effort to ameliorate the situation. Please contact me personally if you would like.
John Gonano