“Fun family day!”

River & Trail Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Owner description: River and Trail Outfitters of Knoxville, Maryland has been family owned and operated since 1972. River and Trail offers guided and unguided white water and mellow water rafting, tubing, kayaking, canoeing trips as well as biking hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing in the historic and scenic Harpers Ferry, WV area. We also sell new and used canoes, kayaks and paddling accessories located in our shop. Check out our website for details on our various trips, ranging from our Paddle N Wine Tour to our Team Building
South Riding, Virginia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Fun family day!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have always tubed on the Shenandoah. This year we decided on trying the Antietam Creek with River & Trail Outfitters. This outfit could work on their facilities, provided lunch, put in and take out spots but the ride down the Antietam Creek was so much fun we'd book with them again.

Their put in spot was on the side of the road, down a trail and under a bridge. It was fine but you had to watch your footing. I guess really that's pretty typical when you go tubing.

Their website says the water is "refreshing" which to me means cold! It was chilly but on a hot summer day, it felt great. This creek offers mellow "whitewater" which was a lot of fun and very suitable for our 7 & 8 y.o. niece and nephew. Don't let that their website says "Class 1 & 2" scare you. The pace of the creek varies and with the occassional ripples it was a lot of fun to float down.

We floated in and out of the trees for several hours. Then they offered lunch at the 1/2 way mark - 1/2 way down the creek, not based on time. We ate around 2:00 p.m. so make sure you have a snack on your way to the meeting spot in the morning. They provided lunch (a piece of fried chicken and scoop of potato salad) They actually ran out of food on this trip (something about the rafting trip that went out on the bus before us took the wrong container of food) and what was served was just ok. I'd actually pack my lunch or at least pack some snacks and give to the guide to carry in his canoe.

There are no facilities where you meet the group in the morning other than port-o-pots so it made changing into dry clothes a bit challenging at the end of the trip.

All in all I'd do it again.

Visited August 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thanks for the informative commentary. It is helpful for us and future guests. We will use the information to improve the trip. When you come back , ask for me so I can personally thank you.
-John Gonano

Baltimore, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun on Antietam”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a great time tubing on Antietam Creek. This is a good introductory experience but I would recommend the shorter trip instead of the five hour trip. It was a little long for me. The guides were nice and great with the kids, but our group could have been split into two smaller groups of about 20 each and it would have been an even better trip.

Visited July 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We are happy you had a great time in the Antietam! Please come see us again!
Crofton, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good fun, but disorganized...”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After using River Trail for a tubing trip about a year ago, and being that they were one of the ONLY DOG FRIENDLY outfitters in the area that we could find, we decided to go on a canoe trip with the pup. We opted for the full-day rental - 14 miles on the river - for somewhere around $60. We arrived on time, signed the paperwork and then waited...and waited...and waited. Finally we went back in to find out what we were supposed to do. Apparently we were supposed to be 10 minutes down the road at a parking area but because nobody told us we weren't there. We finally got there only to ask every single River Trail person around where we were supposed to go and get blank stares and "go talk to that guy" responses. After about 15-20 minutes someone finally figured out that our bus had left and they needed to get us down to the river. One guy was nice enough to take us - turns out it's like a 30 minute drive to get to the put-in!
The river itself was really low, and really warm. I probably won't opt to be on the river on the hottest day of the year next time... : D Once we got to the end we promptly got our things together and the canoe cleaned up...and waited, and waited... There were so many people, so many boats, and ONE VAN for everyone!!! It took several trips to get people back to the parking area. (BTW- if you follow the directions for the weekend parking area, once you get there walk over to the right (if you're facing the road) behind all the campers...that's where you need to be. RT fails to tell you this...) We'll go again, but remember to ask lots of questions.
All in all a good experience, but wish they would have communicated better. I was really happy they let me take the dog and didn't give us any fuss or charge extra.

2 Thank WeLovetoSki_0609
I'm sorry your trip didn't go better. We will do our best to improve based upon your comments. If you would like to further discuss your trip you may call our main office and ask for, "John."
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Almost perfect!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Went on a full day tubing trip down Antietam Creek on July 4th. Anthony was an excellent leader, and my 12 year old son, my husband, and I had an excellent 1st experience. It would have been the perfect family-friendly day if one of the other guides hadn't brought her two sons who screamed and yelled at each other before we got started and then actually had a fist fight during our lunch break. I'm all for bringing your kids with you to work when possible, but if you can't control them, leave them home. That being said, we will go on more trips with this group (we assume those boys won't be there).

3 Thank Kandipix
Thanks for the feedback! I have addressed the situation you mentioned. Being a family-run company we do everything we can to assist employees with children. I'm sorry it put a damper on your experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No ride home with this company”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I went tubing yesterday with River & Trail Oufitters. Everything seemed fine and we would have loved our trip if they had actually come to pick us up when we were done (to take us back to our cars). Wet, hot and hungry we sat there and watched every other company pick their people up. Finally after over a half hour, another company's bus driver called the main office of River & Trail to ask to have a bus sent. However, it was at least another half hour until the bus actually arrived. And then when the bus driver did actually show he had no explanation and just started making bad jokes. It was very disappointing!

6 Thank Slowinger
Thanks for your feedback! Sorry you had a late pick up. Please call our offices and ask for, "John," if you would like to discuss it further.