“GROSS!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Joppa
Commerce Township, Michigan
“GROSS!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival, there was a pest control truck parked next to the office.
I couldn't understand the counter person.
The pillowcases were permanently stained body fluid yellow.
One pillow had two bloodstains on it. No joke.
The mattress was seemingly of the lowest quality possible.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
I immediately canceled my res. and went to another hotel.
Drive on.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed here while traveling through the area. The accomodations are what you would expect for a discount - a clean room and free continental breakfast, but nothing too fancy. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the staff - the hotel manager was extremely helpful in helping us find a place to get our laundry done and good recommendations on local fare for dinner - both very helpful since we came through on our bikes and were too tired to explore on our own!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2012

On a return trip from Florida my family and I stopped at the Super 8 in Joppa Maryland. I went in the room and layed down on the bed, not paying attention to the room due to being exhausted. My wife went to Wendy's to get some food and returned to the room. I had the lights out and was only using the TV for lighting. When she went in the bathroom she was horrified with its condition. There was dirt and crud all over the floor, tub and walls. There were several stains on the walls and the toilet was dirty. She didn't wake me because I was exhausted but in the morning I noticed the same thing. Even worse, there was what appeared to BLOOD splatter on the wall next to the bed we were sleeping in! She immediately packed our bags and went to the front desk to tell the desk. She told him and to her surprise his answer was "well I am not housekeeping". She went to the car and waited for me. As I was putting my shoes on there was a knock at the door. It was the desk guy coming in to see what she was complaining about. He said oh yeah looks like someone blew their nose on the wall. Then he said you know it's hard to find good help around here, enjoy your trip. Needless to say we were less than impressed with this place. I would recommend to anyone thinking of staying here to keep driving a few more miles.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve F
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I thought readers might like to know that after reviewing this property, I had a note from Super8 head office, saying all the usual things, then the property's manager emailed me with apologies, undertaking to correct problems and promising to send me a coupon for a free night's stay. The coupon never arrived (no matter, I wouldn't stay there again anyhow) and judging from recent reviews, the property has not managed to overcome its weaknesses. All of this makes me wonder about Super8's franchisee oversight practices.

Room Tip: Keep driving!
Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chasinchelsea
New Jersey
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We used this motel several times in the past years.
It must be under new ownership.
Judging by the people staying there ; It looks like a welfare motel and was not very clean.
I would never use it again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Small rooms with not so good beds. Complimentary breakfast was a good one. Not a good idea to stay for more than a night and definitely not with a family. The 2nd floor is for the smokers and 1st for non-smokers. If you get a room close to the stairway you can smell cigaratte smoke. Has a good parking facility.

Room Tip: Away from the stairway and not towards the end
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

With a very good location just off I95 and a lovely setting, this *could* be an excellent choice. My room, although spacious, showed signs of poor maintenance: an old TV that had really bad picture quality, stains on walls and furniture, anchors for a missing picture (or maybe a mirror), etc. The grounds, featuring a large pond, are full of litter and old mattresses. Although the main building is set back from the highway and is quiet, the rooms don't seem to have been built with sound barriers so one hears the neighbours. I paid $69 (including a rip-off $10" pet fee") which isn't bad but I would hesitate to return fearing further deterioration here.

Room Tip: Try another inn
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joppa
Sleep Inn & Suites Edgewood Near Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Ramada Edgewood Hotel and Conference Center
WoodSpring Suites Baltimore White Marsh
Hampton Inn & Suites Edgewood/Aberdeen-South
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
La Quinta Inn & Suites Edgewood / Aberdeen-South

Been to Super 8 Joppa? Share your experiences!