Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Jessup
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Not that Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I got a secret deal for four nights for only $188 and was a bit apprehensive. The reviews weren't that great after the motel was revealed but the location was good. Mainly there were complaints of the heavy smoking odors in the entire 100% non-smoking complex. However, to my joy, the room was freshly cleaned and the puffers did their thing in the parking lot. I liked the manufactured hardwood floors throughout the room with just carpeting under the beds.

There's no breakfast and long term residents seem to live on the back side. One had a dog, another was BBQing, and I could have sworn that I even smelled Indian curry. Also Comcast utility line workers, with many many boom trucks, were parked after a long day of work too.

None of this bothered me as much as logging on for the free wifi. Unlike McCafe or Starbuck's, it was not a simple click of "I Accept" but routed one around and around to get the security certificate first.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
RRI187MGR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for submitting a review on your stay. Glad you found our newly renovated rooms to be clean. We have taken note of the other issues you mentioned and will put great effort into eliminating them.We surely enjoyed serving you. We are committed to pleasing our guests. Thank you again and hope to see you on your next trip to Maryland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Astor, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We like Red Roof Inns because of the pet friendly policy. This night I didn't have an opportunity to check on the reviews for this property before we checked in but we we're pleased with our stay.
Our room was very clean. It must have been newly renovated. It was also very quiet. The bathroom was spotless.
The only negative is one that is a pet peeve of mine with Red Roof Inns in general and that is the lack of any kind of breakfast. They offer coffee and tea. Other than that, nothing. Not even a newspaper.
Yes, we would stay there again if the occasion arises.

Room Tip: There are three levels to this property and it features outside corridors. If you need something on...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
RRI187MGR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you for submitting a review on your stay. Glad you found our newly renovated rooms to be clean. We surely enjoyed serving you. We are committed to pleasing our guests. Thank you again and hope to see you on your next trip to Maryland.
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel is very misleading from their web site. The rooms are small, our room looked like someone had slept on the king bed when we arrived. The coffee maker was absolutely filthy with grease, dirt and grime on the water resovoir. The washcloth was black, literally when I tried to scrub the coffee maker oiff. There were only 2 small pillows on a King bed (and this was their "superior king room" and when I requested more, I was told that there were none as the hotel was full. Come on folks, this doesn't even begin to cover the bed! The front desk was secured like a fortress and when we went to check out the next morning, the door was locked and I had to wait at least 15 minutes for someone to show up while the guy who had been in the office the previous night chatted outside on his cell phone.

Room Tip: Stay at the nearby Holiday Inn, not here!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Malstark
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your review of the hotel is a very important tool that we use to let us know how well we are servicing our guests. I see that that we did not live up to your expectation of what is required of a Red Roof Inn, for that I sincerely apologize. Since your stay, we are working very hard to take care of those issues. We do hope you give us another chance on your next travels, Thank you again.
bridgeville DE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I reserved a room in January 2014 for a weekend getaway in April. The weekend in April came and my husband and I arrived at the Red Roof Inn at 3:15pm. Check in was at 3:00pm. We checked in and was told our room was not clean yet. They would call us when it was ready. They did not give us our room key at this time. We had a concert to go to and asked if someone would be here about midnight and we were assured everything would be ok. So we went to the concert and at 11:45pm arrived back at the Red roof inn and learned they had given our room away. There was no apology offered and no manager available until Monday. (It was Friday night). We went to our car very mad however I found a room at Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel because they will give your room away.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank can'tstop
RRI187MGR, Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Customer,

I was very unhappy to hear that you had a problem with your reservations and stay our hotel. I was informed of the problems you were having, Saturday morning, and immediately tried to contact you, twice in your room and again, on the cell phone number you left for my Front desk person, but was unsuccessful, however, we did speak on Sunday, and I did offer you additional guest satisfaction options to try and make things right, I am very sorry that your experience at our property was not good this year.

I know you normally stay hear once a year for the concerts, and hope that you will return. We value you as a guest, and I hope that you can understand, that the mistakes that was made was not intentional, and we here are all truly sorry for all your inconvenience.

Management & Staff
Jessup, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have stayed here many times for long periods of times and have always been treated like family the staff is great and very polite. I would recommend this place to anyone they are the best. and I am still here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
RRI187MGR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to let us know how your stay was at the Red Roof Inn- Columbia-Forte Meade. I’m pleased that we were able to meet your expectations and that our staff was able to accommodate you in a professional manner. We always enjoy receiving feedback from our guest and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel, and i must say it i enjoyed my trip. The check in process was very quick. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, she went out her way to print out direction to help me find my way around the area. There was one smaller issue, the ice machine was down for a couple days which kind of sucked. however i appreciate the fact that i was notified before checking in, that way it was my choice whether to stay or not. All around i enjoyed my stay, and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your comments. We have been working extremely hard to earn reviews such as yours, and we really do appreciate your feedback. Our staff will be happy to hear that they made your stay a positive experience. I would like to say thank you once again for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
North Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Good- Great Location right off 95, quick drive south to DC and North to BWI. Room was renovated with newer furnishings.

THE BAD- This hotel is in a very rough neighborhood. We stayed for 2 days and felt uncomfortable right away. I knew it wasn't going to be good when the gas station down the street had 2 inch glass surrounding the clerk. There's a large truck stop across the street, and a prison a mile away, and The neighborhood behind he hotel is very rough. There are many "shady" characters hanging around this hotel. I couldn't figure out if they were staying here, or just hanging in and around the building and parking lot. A few of the people appeared to be casing the parking lot and peering into cars. On the second night, we arrived back at hotel around 1130pm. I noticed a large SUV parked just down from our door with a man inside who appeared to stare us down as we went into our room. Not 5 minutes after we locked the door, we heard a voice yell "HELP ME" just outside our room. I looked out the peep hole in our door and couldn't see anything, however the man in the SUV was still sitting there. INCREDIBLY FRIGHTENING.

The STAFF for this hotel isn't much better than the neighborhood. We checked in Friday night 4/11 around 7pm. The woman who checked us in was extremely rude, didn't have a uniform on ( Black Tshirt showing many tattoos and no name tag and black jeans) and hardly said a word to us. We were greeted with "Reservation?" followed by "ID", several minutes later, she slapped a "Contract" of some form on the counter to sign, tossed 2 room keys on the counter and said " 130, down the hall" and that was it. The room itself was OK. It was renovated with newer furnishings however it wasn't very clean; There were dust balls on the floor, something sticky on the hardwood floor and the shower curtain had a large stain and was wet. It appears they just changed the sheets and towels and moved onto the next room.

Due to the unsafe feeling, and very dirty room, I brought up a credit, or some type of refund when I Checked out. The response I got was aggressive and very rude; "You booked through Expedia, I cant help you with that" I questioned her system because I had actually booked through Hotels.com, and her response was " It doesn't matter, I am not them. I need your room keys and your all set " Unfortunately, Because of the Unsafe conditions of the neighborhood and the poor service, I am not satisfied with my stay and am still seeking some type of refund. I most definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Don't stay in Jessup PERIOD. Was told by a MD resident AFTER the fact tha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor W
RRI187MGR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jessup
La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbia Jessup
4.0 of 5 stars 67 reviews
Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup
Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South

Been to Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade? Share your experiences!