“The Jury Is Out ...”

Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Jessup
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed here over Christmas holiday. The outside, the lobby, and the room were all attractive and nicely furnished. I thought the bathroom made very good use of the space (for once it was nice not to have the door open up to the bathtub). However, the room did not include a mini-refrigerator, and the mattress was saggy and not very comfortable.

It seems, though, that there is a new ownership in place that is performing a multi-million dollar renovation of the property, which will include upgrades of the rooms and bathrooms. An agent at the desk believed that this would be finished by the summer.

I'd be interested in staying there again after the renovations. Until then, the jury is out.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TheGolfer72
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are definitely appreciative of the comments and feedback. I hope you will be happy to hear that we will be adding refrigerators to our guest rooms during our renovation.

We are very excited for the improvements to entire hotel that are coming. If you liked our current bathroom, you will be blown away with our new ones plus all the other changes we are doing.

We hope to see you again when your travels return you to the area!

Reviewed December 22, 2011

This Holiday Inn is not terrible, but it is definitely on the lower end of comparable hotels that I've stayed at. The hotel is an older style of construction, but it looks well maintained both outside and in. The lobby is pretty nice and the room had newer looking furniture and fixtures. The TV was good and this place had the best channel selection of any hotel I've stayed at; there were at least 60 channels including several HBOs.

But the reasons I felt that this place was pretty poor was basically because of a lack of service. I'm not referring to the employees, they were fine; I am talking about the lack of those things that just about every other hotel in this category provides:

-no microwave or mini fridge. I can't recall a hotel room at this category of hotel that didn't have at least one of these or at least a mini bar/fridge that I could put some stuff in.

-no free breakfast at all. This was a known before I booked the room, but it still sucks.

-no shuttle service to the local area.

-no elite extras at all. I stay at Holiday Inn properties a lot and am at their highest elite level, but that got me absolutely no extras at this place.

It seems like this place is confused: it looks and feels like a lower end business type hotel like a Hampton Inn or a Days Inn (that provide breakfast, fridge, etc), but it acts like a mid-range business hotel like a Marriott or a Hilton (that don't give any free extras). They are not even close to the level of a Marriott or Hilton, so I suggest they wake up and start giving the services that Hampon's and other similar places give.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Frank -

Thank you for the review of our hotel. As we have just come under new ownership and management we plan on addressing most if not all of the issues that you described in your comments. Hopefully, you saw that we have started on our guest room renovation. Beyond updating the aesthetics of the guest room, we are also adding refrigerators to all the guest rooms.

We are also in negotiation with area transportation companies to find an affordable option for area guest transportation. We have already secured a relationship with Apple Transportation to provide sedan service at a fee but we are also looking into our own shuttle for the local area and potentially airport.

I apologize mostly for the lack of an extra for your elite status. We do have a arrival amenity that is to be given upon checking in to the hotel. I will investigating as to why you did not receive this gift from us.

If you would like to discuss your visit in more detail, I can always be reached at 410.799.7500 or by email at jwarner@hicolumbia.com

Again thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel. The staff was very accommodating and went out of their way to meet my needs. Because they were renovating while I was there, they did not have a refrigerator in the room. Now, I am very particular about what I eat and therefore do not eat out a lot while travelling for business. I was faced with a dilemma because I bought food for the week and had no where to stash my perishables. The staff and management, however, kept a portion of my perishables in the kitchen refrigerator the week of my stay and whenever I needed to get it they promptly retrieved it for me no matter what they were doing at the time. Also, because I travel a lot, I am very observant about the cleanliness of the rooms in which I stay. One thing I have found that is common in nearly every hotel is that if you look carefully enough you will find blood spatter either in the room or on your way to the room. I am pleased to report that I found no blood present in this hotel. As I said earlier, I have no complaints about this hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Frank -

Thank you for your kind words regarding our property! We are working hard to keep making our place even better for you. Please feel free to contact me regarding anything you may need. I look forward to seeing you again when you return to our area.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

My overall opinion of this hotel was good. I would stay there again. The price is a little high though, in my opinion. Last time I was there there was construction on the road outside the hotel, which is beyond their ability to change. It was noisy. This time they were remodeling in another room down the hall and were making noise with the equipment and talking until 7 pm or so. That was a little annoying. The staff is very nice and helpful. Room service was fast and hot. I would recomment this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and giving our hotel another chance after the road construction during your previous visit. We are currently going through some upgrades to our guest rooms and appreciate your patience during this process. We hope to see you again in the near future to see all the exciting changes in the hotel!

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Yes they are renovating the rooms. Just so happens to be the rooms across the hall from our room. Had to listen to to saws and pounding until 7pm. If you are going to be working on a floor you would think that you would not put people across from it. Especially since the hotel is not very busy. Had to step around construction equipment all day long in the hallway. Also on two different occasions people walked into our room with out knocking on the door and when you go to the door after putting clothes on no one is there.

Asked where the business center was at the front desk so i could send some faxes they told me they did not have a fax machine there ended up paying a dollar a page to send stuff. What a joke.

2  Thank Ben L
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Thank you, Ben, for reviewing our hotel. We are installing two sample guest rooms for our upcoming renovation and I sincerely apologize that you were encumbered with the construction team that was on property. This will not be our process when we go under full renovation. I assure you that we do not want to inconvenience any guests while we go through this exciting change. I also want to apologize for the service you received while trying to use the business center. We are also upgrading this area of the hotel and will be having full services available at your personal disposal. If I can assist in anyway further, please contact me through the hotel at 410.799.7500. Thank you again for choosing us in your latest trip to our area.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

My company has an established corporate rate and i usually book on line. I did so this time for a three week stretch at our company location not far from the hotel. I did not pay attention and booked the rooms as prepaid. When i showed up and explained my situation, Carmen took charge and fixed my problem. I am always greeted by name when i show up and the whole staff are very professional and accomodating. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Thanks Carmen!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words! Carmen is truly an asset to us and I will definitely be passing on your words to him (and the rest of the staff). We appreciate you making us your hotel of choice for the Columbia & Annapolis Junction area. If I can ever be of any service, please let me know. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed here a couple of night in OCT 2011 and it was for business. My stay could not have been more enjoyable. Ayaz (Hotel Mgr.) was excellent and well over and beyond his responsibilities to make sure my stay and my corporate meeting was pleasant. The meeting room was set up better than any other Hotel in the country that I have used for events. the room was set up perfectly when I arrived. I did not have to do a thing. It was awesome. I recommend using this hotel in the future. I will be back...:) Thank you again!

1  Thank David A

Thank you for staying with us in October. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Ayaz and personally thank him for his excellent service. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Jack Warner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jessup
Sleep Inn Columbia Gateway
Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway
La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbia - Fort Meade
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
Quality Inn near Ft Meade
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia East - Elkridge

Been to Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup? Share your experiences!