“I love it......”

Blob's Park
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2010

When I heard that the Blob's Park was at the end of existance I was veery sad!! Now I just found out that is open again and I got very, very happy, I can't hardly wait to go back. I was 20 yrs. old the first time I went and now I am much older than that but this is a place where you can enjoy the music and people all night long and who ever is not happy with the food?? well there is not authentic food, no matter which place of the planet you are. Am very, exited about the place to be open.

1  Thank patzy49

Reviewed February 14, 2010

I have to say, when I walked in to the place, I didn't know what to think. I saw that many people were having fun and dancing to the live polka music. I later found out that the best thing about this place was the beer. A little pricey but what do you expect for imported beer. We may have been the only people under the age of 50 and without dentures. We felt like we were at a 60 year wedding anniversary party. Well, so it wasn't our scene. Ok. But the food...two thumbs down. The "schnizel" was a pork chop that was in no resemblence of a real schnizel. It was severely overpriced for $13. It was deep fried and burnt all the way through the meat as if the cook left it in the deep fryer while he smoked a cigarrette outside. I sent it back. She came back to tell me they ran out of it so I ordered the weisswurst, which i had to explain to the waitress it was #4 on the menu. That, however was tasty and very close to the original. However, in Germany they eat Weisswurst with sweet brown mustard. I asked but knew deep down inside they would have no idea what that was. The sweet potato fries we ordered as an appetizer came out during our dinner (whoops, forgot that one waitress) and they were greasy & burnt to a crisp. I have had and Made German food and what they claim as "homemade schnizel" was disasterous. Make sure you eat a whole bottle of Tums when you're done. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you want to get a good laugh.

2  Thank germangirlUSA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Got a huge group together to attend the Oktoberfest. We each paid the $15 cover charge for a band that could not be heard unless you were right in the middle of the dance floor. We had searched the menu ahead of time only to be told the only thing available that night was a skimpy $15 buffet. Very little selection and most of the trays were empty much of the time, although what was there did taste good. Our waitress could not fill our drink order in a reasonable amount of time because the bar could not keep up. A member of our party asked for some water to drink and was told a $3 bottle of water was the only water available. I contacted them via email the next day and explained my dismay in the hopes that there were some extenuating circumstances and they did not even bother to reply. What a disappointment!!!

2  Thank Bookish15
Reviewed June 1, 2009

All of us who loved Blob's were sad to see it succumb to another crummy condo development, but this recession does really have a silver lining. The developer had to back out of the deal, and Blob's reopened on January 1st.

It's pretty much the same old place, but they have updated the bar area and greatly expanded the menu. The cover is typically $8, but can be higher for special events or visiting bands. They're only open Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon/evening. The music starts at eight, and is usually the house band, the Rheinlanders.

This is the sort of place that must be seen to be believed. It's a huge hall with seating for several hundred. The dance floor and stage occupy the center, with a large bar area in one corner. The flags, etc. that used to cover the walls are gone, but they seem to be putting some back up. The regulars are about a hundred old people in couples and groups, many of whom have been coming for 30-40 years. They even have little wooden signs marking 'their' tables. Once the music starts up, they pack the floor to polka and waltz. Watching them dance is worth the price by itself.

The beer selection is pretty incredible, and very reasonably priced. I think the most expensive bottle is $5, for a German beer I've never seen anywhere else. They do have wine, and you can get a cocktail. The food is much improved, and there are several good German plates available, as well as plenty of bar food and some American entrees. The service can be a little spotty, especially on a busy night, but this is not a place to come for fast service, it's a place to sit back and spend a few hours listening to the music and people watching.

1  Thank roadtripperMaryland
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Ok, so the food wasn't worth four stars and the service could be horrible when they were busy, but the atmosphere was great (polka!), the German beer plentiful, and the place was fun (if you were not hungry). On special nights they had a buffet, so the service wasn't a problem... Oh, and they've closed just recently.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook