“Good Thai and nice atmosphere”
Review of Tara Thai

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tara Thai
Ranked #35 of 140 Restaurants in Hyattsville
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a welcome addition to an ever improving Hyattville restaurant scene. The restaurant is relatively new with a modern decor and friendly staff. The food tastes freshly prepared and is nicely presented. It seems to be part of a chain of Tara Thai's in Maryland with locations in Maryland and Virginia (and maybe one in Washington DC) but it doesn't have a "chain" feel. Really good Tom Ka Gai soup with a creamy coconut base and tender chicken. Their Larb Gai is excellent...fresh and spicy. We always seem to ask for the Panang Curry Chicken, Pad See Ew noodles and Garlic Shrimp. I need to add that whenever the dish has shrimp, they are served tener and juicy and not overly cooked and hard...a rare feat in restaurants. They seem to take their fish dishes seriously, preparing them very well. Prices are excellent for the quality of food. Perfect for an inexpensive to moderate dinner out.

There are newer reviews for Tara Thai

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Their menu has a great selection of Thai dishes so it was hard to choose. I went with the Panang curry with chicken. It was flavorful and delicious! My friend ordered the seafood fried rice and loved it. There are so many other dishes I want to try so I'll be sure to return. The service was excellent and the restaurant decor is inviting. For drinks we tried the fruit punch and the Arnold Palmer, which were delicious! This restaurant is a great choice for Thai food.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have dined at many Thai Restaurants (including ones in Thailand) and was very impressed by Tara Thai. First, the decor is contemporary, light and inviting. The food - excellent flavor yet not overpowered with the usual Thai herbs. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal from the delicious spring rolls to the coconut chicken soup to the Panang Curried Chicken.
I will definitely revisit and try more of the menu items.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I’ve been coming to Tara Thai pretty much since this location opened. I would come every so often with coworkers. Then as I would go out to eat on my own I added it into my weekly routine of places to visit. I have never been to the other locations, only having experienced this one. It is close to where I work in College Park, an easy drive and I usually go right when they open to beat the parking issues in that area with all the places to eat and construction.

The wait staff always greets me and knows me by face and in fact knows what I will order. I usually have either the Kao Pad or the Pad See Eaw with a Thai Iced Tea. Both are excellent dishes and come out pretty fast from the kitchen. The facilities and the place at large are very clean and well taken care of. There are three servers I normally see during the daytime and all of them know me and are friendly and attentive. There was one server there a few months back that wasn’t that good, but she is no longer there. The food is fresh, hot and isn’t too heavy. I’ll get it typically with the tiger shrimp or pork and it goes well. The portions are very good and sometimes I can’t finish everything, especially with the Kao Pad. The décor is nice, plenty of ample seating room, it is a relaxed atmosphere with a good sized bar, TV, music overhead. It is quiet while I am there but does fill up fast. You get great service and attention, are not rushed and a calm feeling while I am there enjoying my lunch, unlike one of the places nearby that I no longer go to.

Their lunch prices are a great value, I highly recommend driving down Route 1 from College Park to eat here, you won’t be disappointed.

Also if you fly Southwest, they participate in the Rapid Rewards Dining program, which I have earned enough points eating here to get some bonuses. Worth going just for that let alone the great food and good service.

I am actually going there for lunch today….

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Thai food comes into Hyattsville next to India fast food, Eclectic, Busboys and Poets, Elevation burgers and Chipotles. This is a Tara Thai light, so expect a small chain restaurant that serves reliable food. I find the restaurant in Germantown to have the best food, and then the one in Rockville, however if you are looking for Thai food in Hyattsville this is the best place to go. This is not a fast food, chain store atmosphere so that is refreshing.

1  Thank esopus35