“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
San Antonio, Texas
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed there for 7 nights and it was very pleasant. Location was decent. Rooms were decent. Service was decent. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, pan sausage (bacon on Saturday), mini biscuits, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, bagels, assorted cereals, assorted juices and milks. They provided transportation to the New Carollton Metro Station and would also pick you up. Overall it was a very decent place to stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MelGarza
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Hello MelGarza,

We appreciate you and your family choosing to stay with us for 7 nights. It is great to see you had the opportunity to experience a lot of the offered amenities we pride ourselves on providing to our guests. I hope to see you with us again for another 7 nights in the future! Have a wonderful weekend!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed in quite a few Holiday Inns in the US, rooms are always good size and well furnished. This one had excellent courtesy bus service to station for trains to central Washington. Staff even more helpful than usual.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peters101
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, September 28, 2012

Hello Peters101,
We appreciate your warm response in regards to our hotel amenities, as well as our staff! We look forward to having you and your family return in the future. Have a wonderful weekend!
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here in 2 rooms for 3 nights during a move to DC. Thought we would only require 2 nights, but when we realized we needed three, the front desk clerk amiably adjusted our stay at the same rate. I have never stayed in the HI Express brand before, but was pleasantly surprised. The room was above average. Seemed new or newly renovated. Bed was comfortable. The free breakfast was above average, with good variety. The automatic pancake maker was neat and quiet, a good solution to the loudly beeping make your own waffle machine that causes such chaos at other hotel chains. Also noted that the associate monitoring the breakfast was extremely friendly, and kept everything clean and replenished very efficiently. I had 2 concerns about my stay here: 1. While the location was great for DC access and price, it seemed to be in a below average neighborhood, though a lot better than the neighborhood that the other HI Express is in. (on US 50 closer to DC). There was a dedicated security guard patrolling the parking lot at night, which made me a bit nervous of the area, but happy he was there. 2. There are only 3 Handicapped spaces, and a ramped incline to get in the lobby. This is hard for a wheelchair user who is balancing luggage on the lap. The ramp could be less steep, and more accessible spaces would be appreciated.

• 4 of 5 stars
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hello momtokande,

We greatly appreciate you and your family staying with us during your 3 nights stay! We pride ourselves on providing a modern, up-to-date, and comfortable stay for all of our guests. It’s wonderful to also hear you had welcoming and friendly interactions with our staff during breakfast. Your feedback is very appreciated and always helpful. We look forward to having you and your family return in the future! Have a wonderful week!
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at Hyattsville Aug 10th-14th. Had a very good stay. At check in it took a long time for desk clerk to come out of the office (7-8 minutes?) - not sure what was going on. Breakfast was always plentiful and employees always friendly and respectful. We were worried about security at first but never had a problem. Having the Italian Resturaunt next door and W-mart across the way were helpful. Loved the free shuttle to the Metro(NewCarrolton). Key card for the elevator was a bit of a pain, but gave us some piece of mind about who could get to rooms. It would be helpful to have more information on the metro system (like extra $1 per trip with paper cards so buy the "Smarttrip" if you are doing 5 or more trips, directions on what to do/ where to go when you get to the metro station, real maps from the metro available)

Room Tip: No ice on 2nd floor was a pain. Sign up for the free shuttle early. Van holds 6 people and goes ever...
    • 4 of 5 stars
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello Bambilllinois, I am glad to read that your stay was enjoyable and that you had great interactions with the staff. Typically in our lobby where we keep the pamphlets there are large area maps for the city, as well as the metro system. In our business center guests are able to print out directions to any location. Our front desk staff is also knowledgeable in how to get around. Whenever you return please be sure to speak with someone at the front desk if you require printed directions or even some local attractions to visit. We hope to see you again soon! Have a great week!
Concord, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for a short sightseeing trip to Washington, D.C. I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express hotels many times before, and have always been impressed. This hotel changed my view.

The hotel building itself isn't bad - a pretty standard hotel. It was supposed to have been remodeled in 2010, but there are already signs of aging.

First complaint: The bathtubs have no plug, which is really weird. I have a one-year-old who I had to wipe down because we couldn't bathe him. I complained to the manager on duty the first night we were there, and he told me that "most hotels don't have plugs in the tubs now." That is about the biggest load of cr*p I've ever heard! He told me he would see what he could do and call me back. Needless to say, I had to go back down the next night because nobody called. The next morning, I spoke to the general manager. He told me a story about how several people had drowned in the tubs so that is why they removed the plugs. The hotel's website, however, advertises bathtubs in the rooms. The manager did give me a discount on the room, but only after I asked specifically for it.

The hotel has free WiFi, which is really nice, but the desk in the room we were in had no outlet close enough to plug in a laptop, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the desk.

The shuttle service is nice, too, but we waited for 40 minutes for a pick-up from the metro station, and had to call twice to remind them to come get us. Not what you want after a long day sightseeing.

Not impressed, and will not stay here again.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank triciamj6
Hello triciamj6, we greatly appreciate your feedback. This is the first time someone has brought the issue of the bathtub stoppers to our attention. We are a very family friendly hotel, and wish to ensure we are able to accommodate most guests’ needs. As a result, we have installed the stoppers in all of the bath tubs. I do you are able to return in the future. Have a wonderful week!
Lucknow, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been to Washington DC (for CNS work) before at least half a dozen times in the past years but mostly it has been to Downtown or central area and had a touristy experience while commuting or meeting friends. Holiday Inn Express BW Parkway was a great find this time to stay with other CNS colleagues from Zimbabwe, Thailand and India. This was a great find because we genuinely felt as if staying in a home away from home, and major plus point was got to interact with a lot of local Americans! Loads of stories we came back with, thank you Holiday Inn Express!

* HOTEL: This is a good hotel, neat and clean lobby, free high speed wireless internet, great breakfast of eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, assortment of breads, very good coffee, fruits, pancakes, etc... and by the way, coffee and popcorns are always available in the lobby. The rooms are very good, secure (only valid room key holders can use the lift), big in size, neat and clean, and good aircon and other comforts. Hotel is right on the Beltway (BW) on Annapolis Road, so very easy to locate for taxi drivers. The bus stand is right outside the hotel entrance, and nearest Metro station is NEW CARROLTON station which is about 2-3 miles away - and HOTEL PROVIDES free shuttle to this metro station every hour (7am to 10pm). To get one self picked from this metro station we have to call the hotel to send the shuttle.

HOW TO REACH THIS HOTEL?
* New Carrolton Metro station is also a AMTRACK Train station and also has a direct connection (ORANGE LINE) to nearest metro station to Dulles (IAD) Washington DC airport (West Fall Church Station). Between West Fall Church Metro station and Dulles (IAD) Airport, there is a bus (for USD 10 one way or USD 18 return trip)

* we can also take a SUPPER SHUTTLE, which costs USD 41 for one person (and USD 10 for every additional person).

* Taxi is expensive, USD 85 or so

We took the airport-bus to West Fall Church- then Metro Train (Orange Line) to New Carrolton and got picked by Hotel shuttle (we have to call hotel to send shuttle) (about USD 10 + USD 6 = USD 16). On return, we took the Super Shuttle for two people (USD 41 + 10 = 51)

* ITALIAN restaurant: the Italian restaurant right next door to this hotel is just so good - finger licking chicken alfredo, pizzas, and all - absolutely great food and great Killian drinks! This is slightly pricey but offers 10% discount to Holiday Inn Express residents (so do mention this before billing that you are staying in Holiday Inn).

hardly 1 min walk further from Italian restaurant is Chinese restaurant (which is more of a pack-away). this is much cheaper.

Another minute walk is DOLLAR TREE store - and right opposite is WALMART. There are McDonald's and Burger King too right across each other. KFC is slightly further ahead (and many more restaurants).

We got to meet a lot of local residents, interact with neighbourhood residents, and this is what makes staying at this hotel more special.

the staff is very friendly and helpful. Just ask for help and they will try their best.

This hotel also has a 24 hours fitness center and laundry too!

Room Tip: ask for rooms on higher floors for a better view :) the surroundings are green especially towards th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank bobbyramakant
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello bobbyramakant! Wow, we are all excited to read your review about the hotel and greatly appreciate your wonderful comments! We all pride ourselves on providing top-notch service and provide our guests with as much local information as possible. I am very happy to see you took advantage of everything we have to offer and more. We hope to have you return again!
Paramus, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in july 8, 2012 night, july 11 2012 night and july 12 2012 night. I was so tired of morning july 12 2012 since I drove the car from north new jersey. When I touch my back shoulder, I feel the itch a lot. Since I ate the late food during coming to hotel, I feel it could be food stagnation. When I came back to hotel around 5:00 p.m., until then, the room was not cleared. Hence, I got only new towels. Next day morning, when i went to front desk to talk yesterday's bad clearance, the manager indicated my neck's bedbug's bites. When I touch my neck, there are new couple bedbug's bites. Since I never, ever have experience of bedbug's bite in my life, I didn't know what it is. After showing other guests, they say, it is bedbug's bite !!! I went to down front desk and complain to manager whose name is Thomas Tilahun. He came to my room with other employee, try to show up there is no bedbugs. It is ridiculous !! He never, ever apology to me and moreover, he full charge to me !! He told me that he will contact with me during next 3-4 days. Even if I wait for his action regarding bedbugs, he didn't contact with me so far. It is passed 9 days !! It is so shame to holiday inn express !!. If I can attach my bedbugs's bite photos, I want to do it. I have evidence !! I need the answer from holiday inn express's understandable explanation.

Room Tip: don't go to this hotel. it has bedbug !!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
Elaina S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hello stevenC9838, It is very disheartening to hear your experience with us was not a pleasant one. I'm saddened about your experience and sincerely apologize a for any inconvenience. The Managers and staff do take pest control seriously and follow a protocol to help ensure a pet-free hotel. An inspection by a 3rd party professional pest control company found no bedbug activity in the room, nonetheless we would not rest on our efforts to ensure each of our guests is satisfied while staying with us.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss further.
Thomas Tilahun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
Holiday Inn Washington College Park
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway? Share your experiences!