“Don't expect to take a bath!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway

Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Concord, New Hampshire
“Don't expect to take a bath!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for a short sightseeing trip to Washington, D.C. I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express hotels many times before, and have always been impressed. This hotel changed my view.

The hotel building itself isn't bad - a pretty standard hotel. It was supposed to have been remodeled in 2010, but there are already signs of aging.

First complaint: The bathtubs have no plug, which is really weird. I have a one-year-old who I had to wipe down because we couldn't bathe him. I complained to the manager on duty the first night we were there, and he told me that "most hotels don't have plugs in the tubs now." That is about the biggest load of cr*p I've ever heard! He told me he would see what he could do and call me back. Needless to say, I had to go back down the next night because nobody called. The next morning, I spoke to the general manager. He told me a story about how several people had drowned in the tubs so that is why they removed the plugs. The hotel's website, however, advertises bathtubs in the rooms. The manager did give me a discount on the room, but only after I asked specifically for it.

The hotel has free WiFi, which is really nice, but the desk in the room we were in had no outlet close enough to plug in a laptop, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the desk.

The shuttle service is nice, too, but we waited for 40 minutes for a pick-up from the metro station, and had to call twice to remind them to come get us. Not what you want after a long day sightseeing.

Not impressed, and will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank triciamj6
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello triciamj6, we greatly appreciate your feedback. This is the first time someone has brought the issue of the bathtub stoppers to our attention. We are a very family friendly hotel, and wish to ensure we are able to accommodate most guests’ needs. As a result, we have installed the stoppers in all of the bath tubs. I do you are able to return in the future. Have a wonderful week!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lucknow, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been to Washington DC (for CNS work) before at least half a dozen times in the past years but mostly it has been to Downtown or central area and had a touristy experience while commuting or meeting friends. Holiday Inn Express BW Parkway was a great find this time to stay with other CNS colleagues from Zimbabwe, Thailand and India. This was a great find because we genuinely felt as if staying in a home away from home, and major plus point was got to interact with a lot of local Americans! Loads of stories we came back with, thank you Holiday Inn Express!

* HOTEL: This is a good hotel, neat and clean lobby, free high speed wireless internet, great breakfast of eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, assortment of breads, very good coffee, fruits, pancakes, etc... and by the way, coffee and popcorns are always available in the lobby. The rooms are very good, secure (only valid room key holders can use the lift), big in size, neat and clean, and good aircon and other comforts. Hotel is right on the Beltway (BW) on Annapolis Road, so very easy to locate for taxi drivers. The bus stand is right outside the hotel entrance, and nearest Metro station is NEW CARROLTON station which is about 2-3 miles away - and HOTEL PROVIDES free shuttle to this metro station every hour (7am to 10pm). To get one self picked from this metro station we have to call the hotel to send the shuttle.

HOW TO REACH THIS HOTEL?
* New Carrolton Metro station is also a AMTRACK Train station and also has a direct connection (ORANGE LINE) to nearest metro station to Dulles (IAD) Washington DC airport (West Fall Church Station). Between West Fall Church Metro station and Dulles (IAD) Airport, there is a bus (for USD 10 one way or USD 18 return trip)

* we can also take a SUPPER SHUTTLE, which costs USD 41 for one person (and USD 10 for every additional person).

* Taxi is expensive, USD 85 or so

We took the airport-bus to West Fall Church- then Metro Train (Orange Line) to New Carrolton and got picked by Hotel shuttle (we have to call hotel to send shuttle) (about USD 10 + USD 6 = USD 16). On return, we took the Super Shuttle for two people (USD 41 + 10 = 51)

* ITALIAN restaurant: the Italian restaurant right next door to this hotel is just so good - finger licking chicken alfredo, pizzas, and all - absolutely great food and great Killian drinks! This is slightly pricey but offers 10% discount to Holiday Inn Express residents (so do mention this before billing that you are staying in Holiday Inn).

hardly 1 min walk further from Italian restaurant is Chinese restaurant (which is more of a pack-away). this is much cheaper.

Another minute walk is DOLLAR TREE store - and right opposite is WALMART. There are McDonald's and Burger King too right across each other. KFC is slightly further ahead (and many more restaurants).

We got to meet a lot of local residents, interact with neighbourhood residents, and this is what makes staying at this hotel more special.

the staff is very friendly and helpful. Just ask for help and they will try their best.

This hotel also has a 24 hours fitness center and laundry too!

Room Tip: ask for rooms on higher floors for a better view :) the surroundings are green especially towards th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank bobbyramakant
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello bobbyramakant! Wow, we are all excited to read your review about the hotel and greatly appreciate your wonderful comments! We all pride ourselves on providing top-notch service and provide our guests with as much local information as possible. I am very happy to see you took advantage of everything we have to offer and more. We hope to have you return again!
Paramus, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in july 8, 2012 night, july 11 2012 night and july 12 2012 night. I was so tired of morning july 12 2012 since I drove the car from north new jersey. When I touch my back shoulder, I feel the itch a lot. Since I ate the late food during coming to hotel, I feel it could be food stagnation. When I came back to hotel around 5:00 p.m., until then, the room was not cleared. Hence, I got only new towels. Next day morning, when i went to front desk to talk yesterday's bad clearance, the manager indicated my neck's bedbug's bites. When I touch my neck, there are new couple bedbug's bites. Since I never, ever have experience of bedbug's bite in my life, I didn't know what it is. After showing other guests, they say, it is bedbug's bite !!! I went to down front desk and complain to manager whose name is Thomas Tilahun. He came to my room with other employee, try to show up there is no bedbugs. It is ridiculous !! He never, ever apology to me and moreover, he full charge to me !! He told me that he will contact with me during next 3-4 days. Even if I wait for his action regarding bedbugs, he didn't contact with me so far. It is passed 9 days !! It is so shame to holiday inn express !!. If I can attach my bedbugs's bite photos, I want to do it. I have evidence !! I need the answer from holiday inn express's understandable explanation.

Room Tip: don't go to this hotel. it has bedbug !!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Elaina S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hello stevenC9838, It is very disheartening to hear your experience with us was not a pleasant one. I'm saddened about your experience and sincerely apologize a for any inconvenience. The Managers and staff do take pest control seriously and follow a protocol to help ensure a pet-free hotel. An inspection by a 3rd party professional pest control company found no bedbug activity in the room, nonetheless we would not rest on our efforts to ensure each of our guests is satisfied while staying with us.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss further.
Thomas Tilahun
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was amazed that there was free wi-fi and a free laundry facility. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There's an Italian restaurant conveniently located right next door and Wal-Mart right across the street. My stay was do restful. The free breakfast in the morning however tasted very synthetic; the coffee was ok though.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Franch3sca
Elaina S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hello Franch3sca, we appreciate you choosing to stay at our hotel as a restful getaway! It’s always wonderful to discover a new place to escape to every once in a while and we hope to have you return soon!
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel seems to have been renovated recently, and they really did a good job. I stayed one night during the recent massive power outage in the DC area after the terrible storm of June 29. The staff was friendly and efficient, it took less than 5 minutes to check in and get in my room. The room & bath (one of the first things I always check in any hotel is the bath) were neat and clean. The room had a microwave, a small fridge, small coffee maker, and a huge flat screen TV.

Some people complained about the neighborhood, and yes, it's no fancy upscale neighborhood, but there's nothing wrong with it. And you are literally less than 15 minutes from the national mall (except during rush hour, when it could take 2 hours). Plus, head North on the BW Parkway and you're 30 minutes from downtown Baltimore.

Overall a great place to stay, and an amazing bargain. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank K G
, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
K G, It's wonderful to hear that you were able to access DC and Baltimore with such ease during your recent stay with us! I hope you were able to see all of the wonderful monuments while you were out there, as there are so many things to do and see. We are extremely happy to have provided you the same wonderful service as we would when we have power. We look forward to having you and anyone you recommend to stay with us in the future!
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

There is nothing to do around this hotel. The neighborhood is very sketchy to say the least. On the map of the area it says that there is a mall across the street but it is a walmart. The pizza place next door was alright, but we had to walk around the barbed wire fence that goes around the back of the hotel parking lot ! You couldn't pay me to spend a night in this area!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank smrdie31
Hello smrdie31, I’m sorry you did have a pleasant stay with us. There are many local tourist destinations that can be reached within 15 minutes of the hotel. Our Front Desk Staff are well informed on the area and can provide directions to all local facilities. You can also see up-to-date information about the hotel, hotel pictures, and the surrounding area by viewing our website. We hope you do return to the area and see what we have to offer. Have a wonderful weekend!
Nashua, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Beware, this hotel has no backup generator if the power goes out. We spend the night in a super hot hotel room with no A/C, no hot water in the morning to shower and no breakfast in the am and the rain from the storm was dripping inside the room. They offered 50% compensation for this miserable experience.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Hello P W, we are very disheartened about the uncomfortable situation this storm caused to all of our guests and everyone else in several other cities. We have received some informative feedback to further help us prepare for future situations such as this since this is the first time the city has experienced such storms. We greatly appreciate your feedback as well. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you during this time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
BEST WESTERN PLUS College Park Hotel
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway? Share your experiences!