“Take me Away!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Take me Away!”
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I went with a student group to the UMD Marriott College Park (The other name for this hotel) for 5 nights. This is in no way the hotel's fault, but the group I traveled with had them remove the beds and place roll-aways in the room so each kid had their own bed to sleep on (this group's policy). The problem came with the quality in these beds...I will call them cots, but that is being generous. They felt like cardboard, and the sheets felt like sandpaper. I was so mad that, just because this is who I am, I measured the smallest cot and then measured the distance in between where the two beds should have lied, and realized that there was absolutely no need to take the two beds out...they could have just added one cot. The desk area was fine, and the free wi-fi (which their website actually says they don't have) was a nice surprise. The bathroom was unacceptably small, and the shower head was growing something. The hotel is LEED certified, which makes them "green." Their policy with towels is that if you place them on the floor, they will be replaced. Well, having three guys in one room (and all that goes with that), we obviously wanted new, clean towels each day...but that didn't happen. The second morning I realized that my towel smelled, so I put a blotch of toothpaste on the edge to see if it had been replaced. When we returned that evening, the (old) towels were still there. The next morning I wrote a note and placed it on the door for housekeeping to see when they came in...still no new towels. I then called down to the front desk. They assured me that they would be changed the next morning and they were...but that was just too much. The bathroom amenities were fine, and the water pressure was sufficient, but the toilet paper was awful...it actually looked like someone dropped it in water but then still put them on the ring. I would never stay here again.

• Liked — Free WiFi, totally free business center.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CMHTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 22, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for two nights beginning January 18, 2009 to attend the presidential inauguration. We chose the hotel because of its proximity to Washington DC (10 miles), its proximity to a Metro Station with parking (about a five minute drive) and the price (they were able to provide a government rate at a time when hotels were asking for ridiculous rates because of the inauguration). Finding the hotel was a bit of a challenge using a car navigation system. We drove around the UMD campus a few times before we finally found the hotel. Generally we were satisfied with the look of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and very accomodating. When I pointed out that our room did not have a refrigerator as indicated on our reservation they provided us with one in about ten minutes. They were also very responsive when we requested extra towels (about 10 minutes).
Despite the friendliness of the staff and the general nice appearance of the hotel, the third floor hallway, where our room was located smelled like raw sewage. We complained to the front desk and they said they would take care of it or try to relocate us to another room if one was available. We spent most our our time in DC during our stay and were really just at the hotel to sleep. The smell never went away and we never got another room. The second day the hallway smelled like raw sewage mixed with air freshener. We happened to see someone from housekeeping in the hall and when we asked her about the smell she said something spilled and the hotel could not get rid of the smell. I travel frequently for business and usually go with what I know when it comes to booking hotels. Generally I've not had any significant problems with the Marriot chain but the smell in this hotel was wretched. Unfortunately since it was inauguration weekend we did not have the option of moving to another hotel. Also, the hotel did not have a lobby shop and one of the advertised restaurants (the Mt Clare Cafe) was closed. We had planned on eating breakfast there but ended up driving to an IHOP a few miles away.

• Liked — The price, proximity to Washington DC and proximity to a Metro Station
  • Disliked — Terrible smell of raw sewage on the third floor. Also hotel should provide a shuttle service to the Metro Station. Its about a five minute drive to the College Park/UMD Metro Station but it would probably take 1/2 hour to walk there from the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Saved1Boston_MA
Riverview, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I stayed here on business not at all associated with the university.

Entering the property is a little confusing because it does not face onto the main road. It is actually 2 buildings with a courtyard inbetween and a parking garage at the end where all guests park. There are university offices in the hotel.

There are a choice of restaurants and a Starbucks although the Starbucks closes very early. I found a coffee maker in the room on the top shelf of the closet which was odd.

The room was on the smallish side but was newer and pleasant and well kept.

The Mt Clare cafe was large but empty. The staff was not very accomodating. If you wanted something toher than how they had the sides on the menu there was no substitution at all.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
charlotte
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My husband, teenage son and I stayed here for one night, two days after Christmas. We wanted to do a walking tour of the Marlyand campus and got stuck in terrible traffic on the way. So, we decided to spend the night and do the tour the next morning. This seemed to be the closest hotel, so we simply walked in. I asked what the rate was and was quoted one. When I asked about a AAA rate, I was told they could not offer that to me without a previous reservation....what???? So, I asked, if I go to my car and call and come in with a AAA reservation, you would accept that? Yes. So I did just that, but realized I was initially quoted a rate for only one queen bed. Feeling a bit exasperated, I walked in again and another young woman offered me the one queen rate for two queens... I can tell you this hotel was nearly empty, so I'm glad I pushed back a little. After that, things got better. We received an excellent dinner recommendation. Our room (not on the conference center side) was roomy, had great beds and didn't have the usual "hotel smell". There were several restaurants on-site, but only one was kept open at a time which is understandable since hardly anybody was staying there. We ate breakfast in "The Garden" and it was fine, although hotel restaurants are always expensive. All in all a good experience and suited our needs (close to campus).

• Liked — proximity to Maryland campus
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We attended a University of Maryland football game and the hotel's proximity to Byrd Stadium was the primary reason we chose this hotel. It's a quick (10-15 minute) walk to the stadium.

About the hotel itself, it consists of 2 buildings - a main one with the majority of rooms plus a separate one with conference rooms and more hotel rooms up above. We stayed at the conference building.

While this hotel was the most expensive one we booked during our trip (2 other hotels in DC and Baltimore), it was also the smallest. With 2 suitcases, we could barely move around the room without tripping. The bed, while very comfortable and plushy, was also high and difficult to climb in, especially when you have little walking room around. The bathrooms were tight with the towel rack in the shower. However, the Bath and Body bath amenities were nice. Internet is complimentary but the cables provided in the room did not work.

There was a coffeemaker but no mugs. Luckily there is a Starbucks on the ground floor of the conference center.

The hotel has a parking lot that costs $8/night with in-and-out privileges. And for those who do not have a car, it's a long 2 mile walk to the nearest Metro station (Prince George's Plaza) though there are buses you can take to the station. However, for as much as this hotel charges, I think a complimentary shuttle should really be provided.

All in all, this is a convenient hotel to the U of M campus but it's not necessarily equivalent to the price.

• Liked — Its proximity to the U of M campus
  • Disliked — The cost is very high
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calgal99
NJ
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Perfect for visiting U of Maryland. My daughter and I enjoyed our 2 night stay. Very nice room (we were in new wing), great beds, friendly desk staff. Breakfast restaurant wasn't great, but second morning we went to Starbucks instead (in building across). Also, pub restaurant was good for dinner. I'd definitely recommend - in fact we'll be staying there again for orientation.

Stayed March 2008
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed here from Aug. 9 to Aug 12 and found the hotel to be very nice. Make sure that you request the new building as we have friends that stayed in the old building and they had to move. The old building is terrible. The room that I had in the new building was very clean, and though it had two queen beds, there was still room to move around. Parking is 6 dollars a night and the garage is around the corner from the hotel. Hotel is very close to the Comcast Center. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank brittdad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
Best Western Plus College Park Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#8 of 11 in College Park

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!