“A place to sleep”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Oneonta
“A place to sleep”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The hotel itself was fine, with rooms clean and well stocked. I was there for a conference and the wifi connection wasn't working or working poorly, which made it hard to get work done. They had one computer in the middle of their snack store for people to use. The other building where the conference rooms are had a nice bar, but that was about it for food. There were also some nice large table to get work done. You can't really walk anywhere for more. The hotel is at the edge of the campus and doesn't have anything else to offer beside what is on property.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated section
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your review of the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center.

I apologize that the WiFi connection did not work well for you. Typically, in all common areas of the hotel and guest rooms, it is very strong. In addition to the computer in the hotel for guest use, we also do have a business center in the conference center with several computers, a printer, etc. Our food and beverage outlet, The Common Restaurant, is a wonderful place to meet for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and we have a great happy hour! Starbucks is also open for a quick grab and go coffee and/or snack. I am glad you enjoyed our common space; it is a nice area to get some work done, as you mention, or also to simply relax, read a book, etc. We do have shuttle service for guests who may wish to venture off property for a meal or some other reason (the front desk has a list of area restaurants, local shopping, etc.); the shuttle runs within a 5-mile radius of the hotel.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you back with us very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Jose
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The staff were all so helpful and pleasant. This hotel is a gem mostly due to staff. The property is very nice and we were upgraded after coming in very late to the hotel. We had encounters with several staff members and each were of very high quality. The safe wasn't working and the security staffer was really accommodating and wanting to solve our problem, and eventually did. Housekeeping took awhile to come late at night to make up the sofa bed but he was very pleasant. Front desk was great. Best though, was the shuttle driver who seemed to be available for us at any time though he was super busy picking up conventioneers. Mr Dunn, I believe, was pleasant and informative and really helped us out getting around the two days we were there. Awesome service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I apologize that the safe in your room was not in proper working order, however it sounds like one of our security officers took good care of getting that fixed for you. Thanks for mentioning our shuttle driver, Lawrence - he is awesome! Many guests he comes in contact with typically end up mentioning him in their comments too. We appreciate him and are happy you did, as well.

Hope to see you back with us very soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently. They have two buildings. One has been modernized and the other is not. Modernized rooms have king size beds but the rooms are too tiny. That leaves little space to move around especially at night when the lights are out. Space around the bed can be as narrow as a couple of feet with several pieces of furniture lying around. Bathroom has also been modernized and the door to the bath does not have any latch. This can be a problem if you have kids in the room and want some privacy.

Personally I had a problem in sleeping on the king bed because the pillows were downs type which I dont like. I dont like that slow sinking feeling. This is just my personal choice and may not be taken as a criticism.

I was told that the other building has not been modernized but each room has two queen size beds. My colleague took that room and he too said it was really spacious.

I think it would be good if they switch the beds and put the queen beds in the new rooms which will be proportionate to the room size.

Room Tip: Ask for the bigger room if you want some space in the room. Ask for modernized room if you dont care...
Green Features: Marriott has good reputation on environmental practices. I did not see any issue.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for taking time to submit a review for the College Park Marriott Hotel. As you mention, we are a unique Marriott hotel. We consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. We too are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014!!

Pillows – most of our rooms have feather (down) pillows, however we also have foam available. Any Marriott hotel will give you your preference; we would have been happy to change them for you, had you requested it. In the future, when making your reservation, you can you request foam pillows at the time of booking, so they are already on the bed when you arrive and this will take care of a good night’s rest for you! I am particular about my pillow, so I completely understand.

I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us. Again, thank you and we hope to see you back soon!
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here with my husband this past weekend. We were given a great corner suite room, even though we had paid for just a regular double. Beautifully decorated, huge sectional sofa, two flat screen TVs. Lots of room to stretch out and relax. The whole hotel has been recently renovated and it sparkles. The bathroom was nicely appointed, but has an odd choice for a door. It's RIGHT next to the bedroom and has a frosted glass sliding door. Very little privacy. Other than that, we were extremely happy with the room. Love the fact that it's just adjacent to the UMD campus, since we were visiting our daughter there. Couldn't be more convenient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cestchr
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review on our property. I am so glad that you are happy with our renovation! As you mention, it is close to the UMD campus, so it's the perfect place for parents and/or family members to stay while visiting students.

As you may have noticed, we consist of two buildings, each with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms (where you stayed) in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. The Hotel Building is now in need and is scheduled to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014!

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you back with us very soon.
Park City, Utah
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed in a newly renovated room, sounds like that is the way to go. There are 2 buildings, so I know I did not stay where the reservation desk was but across where the restaurant is located. The room was really nicely done and the room was clean and neat. It was just myself traveling so the room was fine for one night but very small so I don't think I would book if staying with more than myself. There are multiple seating areas/work spaces around the hotel which were nice and the hotel restaurant, common quarter I think it was called was nice as well. Overall, not a luxury resort but very good for business and overall good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room- building where the restaurant is located.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cml21
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. As you noted, there are two buildings, the Hotel and the Conference Center, with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building.

I am so glad that you enjoyed The Common Restaurant as well as the work areas around the conference center. We are quite happy with the new design as well!

Again, thank you, and we hope you choose to visit with us again soon!
Villa Park, CA
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a meeting that was held on the property. My room, one of the newly-refurbished ones, was very small but fine for one person. I can't imagine sharing it even with someone I'm really close to! The bathroom was not as dysfunctional as some people here have described -- the shower didn't bother me and I found enough room for my things between the shelves under the sink and the "desk" in the room, which I used as a vanity. The best thing about this room were the MANY outlets available - great for business travel. This is not a resort, which it seems some reviewers here were expecting!!

Restaurant was just great as were all of the public areas in the newly-redone building.

The heat situation was intolerable -- everyone in my group complained about this -- thermostats would not go below 74-76 degrees at night. The hotel has GOT to do something about this!!

Meeting experience was great. Lovely food and attentive service from meeting staff and front desk.

Room Tip: Older building's rooms are larger but fairly dated/traditional decor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review our property.

As you are aware, we consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. I’d like you to know that the rooms in the Hotel Building will be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014!

I am happy that you enjoyed The Common Restaurant, meeting space, staff service, and the renovated public areas/work space. I have taken note of the “heat situation” you mention. Please be assured it has already been brought to the attention of the department head.

Again, thank you, and we hope you return to stay with us again. Make it a great day!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding/romantic vacation. Unfortunately - we were not given the room type that we had booked, and this put us in the "older building." If you notice in traveler pictures, some rooms are quite well appointed with updated furnishings and the like, while others look like a typical Marriott. The room itself was fine, but we were disappointed to see the stark differences in the rooms when we were invited by other wedding guests into their updated rooms. Our shower head was also quite weird- it spit out the water at you in a strong stream that sprayed everywhere and was very loud. We had requested a King and received a Double, which is understandable at times in hotels, but disappointing. However, I should mention that the staff was wonderful- Lawrence, the shuttle driver, gave us great advice on the area and took us everywhere. The front desk clerks were very helpful and prompt in their service. Also, our room service breakfast was delivered quickly and was piping hot- a definite plus! I would recommend this hotel to other travelers, but make sure to request the newer building when you make a reservation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer building.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Allie,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review of the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center. I so appreciate the wonderful comments on our hosts at the front office, Lawrence our shuttle driver, and I am happy that you enjoyed your piping hot breakfast in your room!

We are a unique Marriott hotel, as you now know. We consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel, as you noted. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. We are also aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014.

I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us. And, Allie, I do hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Thanks again and make it a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Greenbelt Marriott
Greenbelt Marriott
#4 of 5 in Greenbelt
Holiday Inn Washington College Park

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!