“Very Nice but not Marriott Standards” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
“Very Nice but not Marriott Standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and immaculate. The room was 100% soundproof which was a real treat too. However, the two staples that I look for with my Marriott Rewards is the water in the fridge and the paper delivered. No water and I found out that I had to ASK for my paper to be delivered. Wasn't told this tid-bit when I checked in. The room was certainly "cozy" as they called it - so small that room service had no place to put down my food, nor did I have a place to eat it. The bathroom was a bit dysfunctional as well - the "open door" shower allowed water to go all over the bathroom floor which I thought to be extremely dangerous, there was horrible lighting for putting on makeup and no shelves, the sink faucet was so low that you could barely cup your hands underneath.
All in all though, the hotel was truly beautiful and well kept. I'd stay there again but I am disappointed in the lack of Marriott standards.

Room Tip: If you ask for the newly renovated rooms, although they are small they're in the building with t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate our guests taking time out of their schedules to give us feedback. I apologize for you did not getting your paper delivered. I was advised by our front office that if we have your preference, then you should have received it. So, again, I am sorry we did not make that happen for you. Since you were not happy with our newly renovated guest rooms, if you chose to stay with us again, I would recommend you request a room in the hotel; the rooms are more of what I will refer to as “standard” and most likely what you are used to. Again, thank you for your comments and we certainly do hope to see you back with us very soon. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Interesting hotel as it is in 2 buildings. I am a long time Platinum member of Marriott but was not treated as one upon check in. I was not upgraded nor receive a room on my profile. But the room was adequate as was the bathroom. The lounge on the 5th floor was adequate and nothing special. Hotel has nice lobby and sitting area. Fitness center had 4 of the 5 treadmills out of order. However it was a large fitness center with nice machines. The staff especially the front desk staff could easily make this a 4 star hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review on our hotel. Our practice is to always recognize our Marriott Reward members and I apologize that you felt this did not occur upon check-in. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please contact us directly at the hotel. I am aware that there was a problem with the treadmills last week; I apologize if this was an inconvenience for you. Thank you for mentioning it and please know that they are now fully operational! Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.
Abbotsford, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We checked into this hotel after being badly disappointed with another College Park location. This was heaven! A beautiful building with up to date features. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. There is a great gym and restaurant in the convention side of the building.

We arrived at 10 am and our room was ready. The staff is outstanding, going out of their way to make sure that you are satisfied. There is a free shuttle to take you to the Metro station should you desire it.

We will be going back to College Park to visit our daughter and will definitely book rooms here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the hotel side are bigger than those on the convention side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to your return when you come to visit your daughter! Thanks for the great review and make it a great day!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Inn on the campus of University of Maryland for our son's move-in last month. It was so convenient to be on the campus and the staff was so accommodating with all of our needs. They were professional and caring and eager to make sure our stay was excellent.There are too many to mention--but Biruk Tadese, an assistant manager and Brittany-who shuttled us around and manned the front desk, were really great.The newly renovated restaurant was lovely with a great menu and the new rooms were very modern. We are looking forward to returning for the Parent and Family weekend this October.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Biruk and Brittany, hosts at the front office - I will be sure to let them know you mentioned them; that was very kind of you. We look forward to your return very soon! Thanks again and make it a great day.
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We decided to make a quick day trip up to UM to watch Old Dominion football take on Maryland. Despite some so-so reviews on TA, I booked the Marriot 1) due to it being a Marriot and 2) it’s proximity to the stadium. Upon arrival (we arrived around 11:00am) our room was not ready anf the front desk was kind enough to say they would give us a call when it was ready. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a “Junior Suite” in the “older building.” Based on the reviews from past TA guests, I was not thrilled by the old building but it was one night so it wasn’t a big deal.

Let me tell you, I was completely wrong. The building was in the finishing stages of a complete renovation and our room was one of the nicer Marriot rooms I have stayed in. Our friends did not get lucky enough for an upgrade and their room was very nice, but also very small. I would highly recommend splurging for the Jr. Suite simply due to the size.

The only downfall was with the restaurant on site. The front desk promoted a post game buffet special and when we (and MANY other guests) tried to take advantage, they informed us they were not having it that night. They have a huge specials board that promoted the special as well. In the end, the manager gave a token discount of 10% (do the math, the hotel still comes out waaaay ahead), but the service was good and the bar was a nice hangout.

If I ever go to UM again, I will def. be staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. I am happy to hear that you were impressed with the renovation of the Conference Center building and were happy with the Junior Suite. Those suites are quite nice! I am a little confused in reference to your comment about our tail gate (your reference to a postgame buffet, but I assume we are talking about the same thing), as we did have one that day and will for future home games. We hope to see you back with us soon!
Hernando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was called a "cozy king" Cozy is an understatement. Beware of the bathroom. It is glass enclosed,one drain strip for the shower;consequently most of the bathroom is wet aftter your shower.The bathroom entrance is a sliding glass door. When I first arrived & used the facilities,the door got stuck. Luckily,I was not in the room alone. The other person had to call the desk & maintenance had to come to get me out. I could still be there if I was alone!
The room is attractive,but certainly not worth the price.

Room Tip: Don't book a cozy King!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. The Conference Center was just renovated, and although we could not increase the size of the guest rooms, the interior was completely changed. Some guests love it and some do not. I am sorry that you did not care for the room itself, but more importantly, that you had a problem with the bathroom door. I can understand how that was an upsetting situation and I apologize for the incident. I am positive that the problem was fixed. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return and visit us again one day in the not too distant future. If you do, you might prefer to stay in the Hotel where the rooms are more of what you might consider a standard size. Thank you again and make it a great day!
Graham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Jaron Johnson and his staff made our stay great fun. Location across the street from the golf course (used it twice) and walking distance to the football stadium, make it the best place to stay for an event on campus. Free parking and shuttle (for three miles) if needed. Delicious "climate-controlled" (indoor) football tailgate before and after the game. Speedy elevator. Could use a few more outlets in the room and the Golf Channel on the TV listing, but no points deducted for that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us several times and have been happy with both the product and service. And you are correct, our Front Office hosts are the best! The tailgate you attended was our first this year, we have another one this Saturday, and hope to continue them throughout the University of MD 2013 football season, so perhaps you will join us for another one. I have passed along your comments about the outlets and Golf Channel. We appreciate your observations! Oh, and our shuttle will take you within a 5-mile radius of the hotel, so if you need to shop, get to the golf course, a restaurant close by, etc., we can get you there and return you to the hotel, as well. Thanks again and hope to see you back with us very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
BEST WESTERN PLUS College Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in College Park
3.0 of 5 stars 230 reviews
College Park Hotel & Suites near Univ. of Maryland
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!