College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
  • Pool
$118
BestWestern.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $135/night.

$143
$119
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of $163/night.

Quality Inn(Takoma Park)
$94
$84
EconoLodge
HotelQuickly
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscommon restaurantfront desknewer buildingumd campusthe concierge loungemodern bathroomseparate buildingscollege visitswim meetmetro stationstarbucks coffeecollege kidscomplimentary shuttlecomfy bedrooms are smallthe wi fistayed here for one night
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The "cozy" room are very cramped. My room (211) had an exhaust fan for the kitchen in the roof directly outside my window. In house restaurant had limited menu. Mostly used for conferences and no other hotels or restaurants are within walking distance. On the plus side, it is on a bus line and in a quieter area than the hotels along Hwy 1 and has more character than the ones in Greenbelt.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Running_Bird
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This hotel gives a nice impression from the outside and foyer. It is a little odd in the fact that there are two buildings and I stayed in the one opposite the one with the check-in desk (with the Starbucks which was a nice touch) so can only comment on rooms on that side.

The room was small with a small double bed. It was dark and smelt funny (not in a good way). I ended up spraying it with perfume to try and make it tolerable. The bathroom was small, clean and functional but the air vent emitted an odd intermittent buzzing noise throughout our stay which was very irritating.

Another member of our party, staying in a different room, woke up to find a large bug staring at him on the pillow. This completely freaked me out and resulted in very poor sleep the next night. The icing on the cake was being woken up at 8am on Easter Sunday by the sound of the driveway (between the two buildings) being water blasted clean. Was this really necessary first thing in the morning on Easter Sunday???? We were furious and complained to the front desk staff who didn't care and even found our anger vaguely amusing.

Other members of our party stayed in larger rooms and some suites in the other building and appeared to have had a good stay.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. If you must stay, pick a larger room in the building with the check-in desk.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissFussyUk
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The facility itself is lovely! Very clean and well kept. It even has an Art Gallery in the lower level which I enjoyed in my spare time. There is a Starbucks and a small restaurant that looks pleasant, although we did not eat there. The rooms are clean and well maintained, but very small. We had gotten spoiled by the Holiday Inn Expresses on the way here (large rooms, full breakfast included in the price of the room, etc.), so we had expected a little more since we paid a lot more. We stayed here since others in our NATS group were also staying here. It's conveniently located on the university campus, although its a bit tricky to get to the hotel entrance. You have a little walk to the Parking Garage, which may be unpleasant on a rainy day. There is no free breakfast here, but you can order breakfast through Room Service. The only real complaint I have is that there is a strange sound coming from underneath our room (Room 517). At first I thought it was the maid turning a vacuum cleaner on and off, but it's been going non-stop all day. We aren't near the elevator, so I have no clue what this noise is. I am certain we will be hearing it rumble all night. I don't know if the other rooms in this corridor can hear this, but if you book a room here, and you're sensitive to noises, then don't bother with Room 517 (or possibly any room on the left side of the building)! A steady hum would have been much less noticeable than a surging pitch that rumbles on and off. The bathrooms are also very small and have very little counter space, so you won't be able to spread out your toiletries or makeup! But if you hate driving in the crazy city traffic to get to UMUC, then this certainly is the place to stay if you're willing to give up a few amenities for the convenience.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank C F
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel while visiting the University for a campus visit. It was adequate, as the title of this review states. It is located right on the border of the University. As other reviews state, you can walk to campus, but it is not thru a pedestrian friendly area--- across parking lots and it is not well marked with signage.

Staff was fine-- pleasant enough when checking in but not real forthcoming with information about nearby amenities. No complimentary breakfst was offered, so I inquired about what was available-- the restaurant onsite had a $20pp breakfast buffet I was told. We ran out and bought donuts for morning instead. The room was clean. We had to request more toiletries and towels as a family of 5 was staying in the room. We got them without a problem. Loved the toiletries-- Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Orange Ginger. We had also ordered a rollaway bed. This was not there when we arrived and we had to call to get it brought up. The room was quiet. We got our wake up call as requested.

2 odd things we noticed: 1.) when we arrived back to our floor (3rd) on Sunday evening after doing some sightseeing at about 10:30 pm, an overwhelming stench of onions was everywhere. It was not just a little bit onion-y. It was crazy onion-y, as if some onion processing plant was exhausting into the hallway. Really gross. and 2.) the lounge at the facility (Oracle, I think), which advertised "late night bites and drinks," turned my husband and I away at the door at 11-ish pm on Sunday night when we went over to share a cocktail without the kids. There was a large group still seated in the lounge that was showing no signs of departure, but we were still told rather abruptly that we would not be served.

Overall, we would stay again when visiting campus. That would be the only reason.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SAbramowich
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

We appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to review our property. Yes, we are very close to and within walking distance to the University of Maryland campus and as such there is not a residential area around or between us; the only way to walk there is through the campus. We do not advertise or offer a complimentary breakfast, however, we do have Starbucks for something quick and light or our Garden Restaurant. We don’t offer a breakfast buffet every morning, but will do so if our occupancy is high and also if we know that there is something going on at the Campus. We realize that folks will want to get in and out quickly and a buffet is the best way to accommodate. Very unusual, the onion-y smell you detected. You did not mention whether or not you reported it to anyone; if that were the case, perhaps someone from our Security Department would have been able to try to identify where the odor was coming from. Please accept my apology. I am very sorry that you were not able to enjoy a cocktail in our Oracle Lounge and were turned away around 11:00 p.m. As this is not our standard, we are looking into some recent Sundays to determine when this may have happened and will take corrective action. Thank you, again, for taking the time to send us your comments, observations and concerns. We do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed at The Inn & Conference Center at U of MD College Park. During previous stays, I have had a room along Adelphi Road, which had so much traffic that it interfered with sleep. On another stay, I was kept awake by some sound of water rushing across the ceiling, probably associated with toilets flushing during the night. So, I asked for a quiet room.
The hotel was relatively dead, but I never expected to have a room at a Marriott with no heat. I set the thermostat after a big day of travel and went out to dinner. Upon my return, I noticed the room was cold, and the unit was blowing cold air. I picked up the cordless phone to notify the desk (around midnight). The phone battery must have been dead as I was unable to get a dialtone. I called the front desk from my cellphone. I got cut off the first time, and then was put on hold so long that I thought I was cut off. I got dressed and went down to the lobby to tell them about these issues. All the clerk could say, repeatedly, was "I'm sorry, Mam".
It got worse from there. After demanding a new room with heat, the manager came to see me the next day. He had a retort for every complaint I experienced. He also told me I should have given their engineer a chance to fix the heat. I asked if they even have an engineer on staff overnight, plus, would I have to wait for parts? I was at the point of exhaustion and this was an experience that made me realize that Marriott needs to maintain their properties better than they do. I told the manager that if a room has no heat, they should immediately offer a different room, especially if it's late at night. Also, they should have more employees at the desk. I had to wait to talk to the clerk as people were checking in and he was the only one on duty.
I filled out the Marriott survey online and asked in the comment box at the end for a response. No word yet. It's been over 2 weeks.
The hotel is situated most conveniently to U of MD.
We are loyal to Marriott and have been staying at this property for a year and a half when we visited. We use to stay at The Conference Center at Georgetown when Marriott owned the property, and when we stayed there or Key Bridge, the buildings were maintained and the staff treated us like family.
I told the clerk and manager that Marriott has to do better. At my insistence, 2 women security guards transferred my baggage to my new room. Fortunately, I had not unpacked, so that was easy enough and the guards literally saved the day. They even went down to the desk and got the keys changed for me. Those security guards were wonderful.
I have bursitis and a post-surgical knee. I travel with an ice pack for swelling and they did provide a refrigerator. But I did not need all the hassle, extra physical demands at the end of a long day of travel. I finally got settled into my room around 1:30 am.
I expect a standard of excellence from Marriott that failed on this visit.
I will say, I had lunch the following day at the Garden Cafe, ordering a cheeseburger. It was delicious. I subbed out a salad for the fries, and the salad was beautiful. It was too much to eat. They wrapped it with Saran and I took it to my room and ate it later that day. It stayed very fresh in the fridge.

Room Tip: From previous stays, I'd say to try to get a room on the interior perimeter of the complex.
Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank northdallaswoman
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to tell us about your recent stay. It is only through feedback from customers such as you that assist us in improving the property and our overall customer service. As you noted, you are a loyal Marriott customer and we thank you for that!

There are multiple issues mentioned in your review and I won’t touch on each and every one of them. However, please know that each item has been read and looked at, reviewed with department heads, and given much attention so that we can be sure everything is taken care of.

We know that we need to “modernize” and are beginning a major renovation scheduled to begin in the Summer of 2012, which will address your observations and more! We are currently working with designers and architects who will help us completely transform the hotel. Until then, our goal is to provide great customer service and wonderful accommodations.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. We do hope you continue to stay with us in the future. Make it a great day!