“Unfortunately, a well named restaurant”

Suicide Bridge Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hurlock
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2006

We spent a really enjoyable weekend at the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay with our daughters in late August and decided to try the Suicide Bridge Restaurant which was recommended in a travel book and by the hotel concierge. We called ahead to arrive at 8:00 pm. When we arrived at 7:45 the parking lot was overflowing and cars were parked along the shoulder. We checked in at the desk and began our wait. It was Saturday night in August, so the crowd was not unexpected. I assured our daughters that big restaurants know how to handle crowds, so the wait would not be too long. That was a mistake. At about 8:30 my husband inquired when we might expect to be seated. He was told we were the next party of four. Since the restaurant was in the middle of nowhere, it seemed prudent to wait, rather than launch a search for another place to eat. Meanwhile, parties of 16 and 20 were being called and seated. Just after 9:00 we were led to the back of a dining room with many uncleared tables. A young woman took drink orders, saying that our waitress was tied up with "something else." When she finally arrived ten minutes later she was apologetic, but still didn't even bring bread until nearly 9:30. We were starving, with nothing to do but listen to the party of 20 behind us, and watch the other guests in our area wait. After ordering, it was nearly 10:00 before our food arrived. The waitress explained that they had only one kitchen to ser ve all the diners. We watched as a neighboring table asked for the check -- for their salads. They had decided not to wait for their dinner!
When our food arrived, my husband was happy with his crab cakes, and our younger daughter liked her salmon with pineapple salsa. Our older daughter ate about two bites of her unappetizing barbequed chicken, and I struggled through some fiberous "soft shelled" crabs. Although our waitress continued to apologize, by 11:00 when our check arrived, it was sounding hollow. When we arrived back at the Hyatt, my husband stopped to share "war stories" with one of the "salad" people, but I had to head straight for the bathroom. The next morning, the Hyatt concierge said he would "make a note" of our experience.
Normally, I would not write such a detailed negative review. But the arrival of the huge Hyatt, with its high priced restaurants seems to have put a strain on the surrounding local eateries. The Suicide Bridge may have expanded recently, judging from the picture on an old sign that was leaning up against an outbuilding. I would like to spare other visitors to the Hyatt a similar dismal experience in what was truly an enjoyable and relaxing visit. Perhaps, if the restaurant management can get a handle on their problems, they can avoid the fate that provided a name for the adjacent bridge.

2  Thank willobee

Reviewed August 26, 2006

My husband and I and another couple visited the Hyatt in Cambridge & decided to eat at Suicide Bridge Restaurant one night based on 2 recommendations we received from hotel employees and reading about it on line.
We took a cab to the location & were SHOCKED when we arrived to see the crowd of cars! We had call-ahead seating, so we sat in the bar & only waited about 20 miuntes for a spot. The room smelled of some strange odor when we sat down, but luckily I had some Peppermint Oil (good for headaches) and we all put it under our noses & were ok with the smell.
We ordered WAY too much food - our eyes were bigger than our stomachs. We got scallops wrapped with bacon (scallops were a little over-cooked), mushrooms stuffed with crab, crab balls (way too salty!), and 2 bowls of crab soup (MD crab - vegetable broth), and 1 dozen large crabs. The crabs were really good & meaty, but at $50/ dozen, a little pricey. Two of us ordered shrimp with crab imperial (good, but the crab imperial was too rich & we were pretty full) so we ate the shrimp & took the crab part back to the hotel. Each entree came with a salad and 2 sides. Red-skinned potatoes & lima beans were the potato & veg of the day. My husband ordered littleneck clams, which were good. Our friend ordered the filet (medium rare) which was so overcooked that it tasted more like pot roast. We told the waiter about it & he agreed, but did not take it off the bill.

For dessert - as if that wasn't enough food, we ordered and split 2 chocolate eclairs - which were delicious! There was whipped cream & toffee bites (or something crunchy) on top.

Our waiter was from Bulgaria & was excellent. The food was timed perfectly and really the only bad thing was the filet.

4  Thank BethAnnP