“Fantastic hotel for travelers”

Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Baltimore
“Fantastic hotel for travelers”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard while attending a nearby convention. It is located just off I-83 and within walking distance of a nearby mall (kind of, the sidewalk does not pick up until you are closer to the mall.) I was first impressed at check-in by the front desk personnel who recognized me from my phone reservation and also accommodated a change to my room request by performing a complicated piece of bistromath with her compatriot. We were struck by the many seating options in the lobby, both in the main dining area for the café but mainly in an area seemingly designed to merely hang out. I really wanted to grab a magazine or book off the complimentary rack and sit down there. I was impressed that the stairs were wide open and accessible at both ends of the hallway so you can head up with luggage if you wish. The room is basic, but modern. Honestly, it is refreshing to be in a hotel bathroom that has a door that does not hit anything on its way to the wall. There are also small balconies with chairs that look out onto the stunning courtyard. The center of the yard has several couches facing each other, making a perfect conversation pit. We could see the pool from our room, but we did not try it. I understand there is a bar on site with limited hours, but I would have loved to grab a glass of wine and sit in the middle of that courtyard for hours. I have to commend the blackout curtain they have as it did an incredible job of keeping the room dark until we rolled out of bed after ten. The deli in the lobby has a pleasant seating area, interesting and tasty food selection, and personal televisions in the booths. There is not much to do around the hotel itself, it is designed for relaxing. A lack of entertainment amenities would normally rank four out of five for me. I once called housekeeping for extra towels. A man I had passed in the hall a few minutes before was at my door thirty seconds after my call with a stack of towels. Extra star. If you stay at the Courtyard, find a way to enjoy the courtyard.

Room Tip: Get an inner room overlooking the courtyard.
Green Features: They ask you to hang towels to conserve water, but they collect them anyway. Oh, well.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank renfield1969
CY-GM-HV-MD, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear renfield1969,
Thank you so much for your awesome comments about the hotel and surrounding area. I hope we see you again especially when you have a chance to enjoy it a bit more. We do love the courtyard and take advantage of it for outside staff meetings on slightly breezy, sunny days. Next time maybe we can join you!
Safe journeys,
LKyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for a lacrosse tournament that was in town. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and very nice. The courtyard itself was very nicely landscaped and manicured. Loved the fact that most of the rooms had balconies.

Now for the bad. Arrived Sunday evening (around 10 PM) and wanted to sit down with my wife and have a drink except the bar closes at 10 PM (every night). Got up the next morning to grab a bite to eat for our son and the small cafe and the lady who ran it was late and there was a line for people ordering food and coffee, so something pre made that would have taken 2 minutes took 30 minutes. Then the boys got done with their games and wanted to jump in the pool, but couldn't because there needed to be a life guard on duty and Sunday afternoon there was a birthday party going on the pool and was closed. The when it was open it was only from 5 PM to 10 PM. The suites (which we had) only had three towels in it to take a shower with and rather than leave extras, we had to hunt down the housekeeping staff to find extra towels. I called the housekeeping staff to see about towels, but no answer and instructed to call the front desk, which I did and they didn't answer the phone. My daughter was heating up food in the microwave in the room and burned the item, which set off the smoke detectors in our room. Took the maintenance man 5 minutes to come upstairs. He didn't know how to turn off the fire alarm and called down to the front desk. Then the young lady from the front desk came upstairs and was talking on the phone to the person on charge of facilities. After 45 minutes of trying to figure out how to shut it off in the room, they discovered that it had to be reset on the master panel. My wife covered up one detector and I covered the other. I just find it difficult to believe that only one person knows how to operate the fire alarm system. The people who attempted to help were trying to help and were very helpful and friendly, but I am finally getting the ringing in my ears to stop and have gotten rid of the head ache I had for two days because of the loudness and how long it took to shut it off. The other issue is that it was very hot during the lacrosse tournament and boys sweat a lot, we wanted to was their uniform. Couldn't do that because the washer was broken, so we had to wash it in the sink and let it air dry. The last issue with the hotel was the way they treated our boys. These are 15 and 16 year old boys and because of the goofy pool hours, they were left with limited things to do. They went to the store and bought nerf guns to have a war in the courtyard. Considering 95% of the attendees were lacrosse families and even after talking to the manager and making sure it was ok, she yelled at them later and threatened to throw them out of the hotel.

I traditionally stay at courtyards while traveling for business, but I was disappointed with this one. The staff (with the exception of the lady who opens the food in the AM) were nice and accommodating, but realistically they need to get all things working and be more accommodating to their guests and their needs.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank bigdaddycool492
CY-GM-HV-MD, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hello bigdaddycool492,
Thank you for your comments on the hotel. As we are a business hotel, our amenities are geared for that clientele. I will take under advisement, your suggestions for improvement. Also I will share with the team, especially about the service aspect of your stay.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Ok, so this review will probably have no continuity to it, but here it goes:

The rooms are standard Courtyard. I remember when this hotel was built (I'm from Hunt Valley originally, hence the return to visit to see family). You can clearly tell they were remodeled in the last 18 months or so (which is nice). They even have the standard Courtyard photo in the room of the rotary telephone and the one of the fan/notebook. Courtyard is Courtyard, no matter how you slice it when it comes to the room design. However, VERY clean.

However, the room was ok, when compared to the staff. This hotel has one of the best teams I think I have ever encountered. Normally, I stay at 4 to 5-star hotel (W Hotels, Ritz Carlton, etc.) and travel about 100 nights a year. However, I don't know what this GM does, but they should be teaching classes on hiring the right people and motivating said team to deliver great service. They really do bring back the idea of this is your home away from home (a concept that is sadly lost on many hotel professionals today). Kalisha was at the front desk when I checked in...after a long day of meetings, then driving 3 hours in rush hour traffic and 2 hours of dinner with family...she made me smile and laugh like I hadn't in years...something I really needed that night. Her coworker (I didn't catch her name) was delightful too. Even the housekeepers were pleasant and actually came and cleaned my room when I asked for it to be done (another concept lost on most hotels).

I give this hotel 5-stars, all because of the team! My only complaint....they're booked up when I need to come back in two weeks...oh well, next time it is...

But seriously, don't pass up a chance to experience the home away from home service at the Courtyard Hunt Valley!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ccloftmgr
CY-GM-HV-MD, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello ccloftmgr,
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am very proud of the team at the Courtyard Hunt Valley. They enjoy meeting people from all over the world and sincerely getting to know them.
I am blessed to have the young ladies at the front desk with us here. They are on a career track with Marriott, so I love hearing your comments and sharing with them. I feel like a delighted parent.
It will be my pleasure to let our housekeeping staff know of the kind words you extended them as well. They work so hard to make this a comfortable place for you. They are our unsung heroes. Your words are valuable; like gold and precious gems. I certainly appreciate your time to let us and others know of your stay. I know my team will also.
Have safe journeys. We hope to see you again soon.
Warm regards,
Massapequa, New York, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I'm staying at the hotel currently for 2 nights. I'm visiting family in the area and while the hotel is clean and in a good location...the front desk sucks and the pool hours. Monday to Friday they only have the pool open from 5pm to 10pm!!! If your here to relax...you can't use the pool till 5pm!!! That's ridiculous and the main reason why we would never stay here again! The reason we selected this hotel was because they had a pool and during July I would think one would want to have a pool available to enjoy. When we called down to the front desk...the agent rudely said "POOL HOURS...MONDAY TO FRIDAY 5PM-10PM." If you are staying more than 1 night and want to enjoy the hotel amenities you paid for....then stay at another hotel.

Pros: location..clean
Cons: front desk...no chairs outside to enjoy the balcony...pool hours

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Good Morning,
Thank you for your comments about the hotel and especially the pool hours. In Baltimore County we are required to have a lifeguard on duty at all times the pool is open for our guests. This is the reason we have limited hours, especially during the business week. On the weekend the hours are extended, yet I know that does not assist you today. I am sorry you are not able to enjoy the pool this morning. I will speak to the front desk personnel to ensure that when speaking about the pool hours to our guest that they explain in a polite and professional manner. I will also double check our website to make sure that the limited hours are stated under the pool amenity. I appreciate your feedback as it will assist us to become better.
Peace,
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for business a few times, most recently in June 2014. It is a typical Courtyard, although the guest rooms could use a little face lift. Beds are comfortable in the usual Marriott style but the carpet, curtains and other room features were a little worn compared to other Courtyards I have stayed in. Its a fine place to stay for business, however, since it is clean and is in a great location near shopping and businesses. Having the onsite Bistro is nice, although I wish they were open at lunch for those looking for a quick bite. One thing that is a stand-out at this Courtyard is the staff, they are wonderful. Everyone on is extremely friendly and goes the extra mile to help you out. Its one of the reasons I return to this Courtyard when business brings me to the Hunt Valley area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Good Moring Jamie L.,
Thank you for your outstanding comments on the service of the team here. Also for your continued loyalty to Courtyard Marriott, we appreciate you. We continue to strive to become better and your comments are taken into consideration to do this. I will be happy to let the team, especially the housekeeping staff, know as well. We hope to see you again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have stayed at this Courtyard twice within the last two months and have found it to be a standard representation of what you would expect to find from a Courtyard. The staff is friendly and I always use the bistro for breakfast, consistently good.

The only complaint I have is that both times I stayed there was an ant problem in both of the rooms.

Room Tip: have stayed on the first floor and had ants, may want to request a different floor
1 Thank George G
CY-GM-HV-MD, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Hello gegogo,
I am glad that you found us to be what you expected at a Courtyard Marriott. For many travelers, a seamless stay is the best. I do apologize about the ants. We have had our pest control partner treat the property a couple of times and will continue until we have these pesky ants under control.
Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and the Bistro. The breakfast sandwich, Healthy Start, is my favorite. We hope to see you again soon.
Safe journeys,
LMKyl221
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is a very decent Marriott Courtyard. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean; it is what you would typically expect from the brand. It the location works for you, then this hotel is a good choice. There are plenty of restaurants very close by (few minute drive ... walkable if you don't mind crossing a busy road...).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hello 150hotelnightsayear,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel. It pleases me to know you had a nice stay at our Courtyard. We are in an excellent location for dining and sleep. I see you love a couple of the same cities I do, Williamsburg and Charleston, SC. Wish I could say the same for some of your world travels; one day, in the bucket list. It means a lot to have your favor; I appreciate it since you have seen quite a bit.
If I or my team can assist you in the future, do not hesitate to let us know.
Safe globe-trotting,
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium

Been to Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!