“Best Hotel in the Area”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore - North/Hunt Valley
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I stay in the Hunt Valley/Towson area at least one night a week, and over the past year have stayed at most of the hotels in this corridor. They all have their +'s and -'s, but overall, the Embassy is the best.

Positives:
- Very clean (always)
- Spacious (medium/large living area, fairly large bedroom)
- Friendly staff
- Nice decor
- Good pricing for the area (usually the best, short of the 2 star hotels)
- Good FREE breakfast buffet with chef making omelets/waffles, lots to choose from.
- Pretty quiet
- Great water pressure
- Reasonably nice somewhat small exercise room (but never full)
- Pay Movie option; free Showtime
- Easy close parking
- Mall with great restaurants, shopping, and movie theater 2 blocks away
- 15 secs to get to I83

Negatives:
- HVAC problems in some rooms (esp 816 and 710 - have told them many times, still not working well as of this week- if avoid these 2, probably OK)
- Noisy bathroom fan! Only turn it on when have to. Almost every room.
- As mentioned in other reviews, if have small children, railing issue
- Wireless access is $10/night (how 2004 can you get - come on Hilton)
- If happen to hit breakfast when a bus tour is staying there (infrequent), hope you have an hour to spend
- Set of elevators near restaurant almost always stop at 2nd floor when going down - then wait 30 secs, then continue. Have told them about it, still not fixed 3 months later.
- If heading into Baltimore during rush hour, add 15-20 minutes to your trip just to reach 695 (as compared to staying, for example, at the Sheraton in Towson right on the beltway - but not as nice a hotel - except for the restaurant). But then again, 695 is usually a parking lot, so 83 is the least of your problems.

So, lots of small items (unless have small children), but overall a great place. Beats both Marriotts nearby (which are more expensive), and frankly all the other hotels in the area, esp if you like a little space in your room to stretch.

Note to management: how about fixing the little stuff...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank pullthetab

Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed here Valentines weekend. The hotel is close to Inner Harbor so we chose to take the light rail in, rather than drive. You can get the light rail, less than 2 minutes from the hotel. It is in a great area and shopping center with tons of food choices and shopping, movie theatre, etc. After check in we went to the 7th floor to our room. Very clean, new, flatscreen t.v.'s, comfy bed with crisp sheets, thick towels. Nice roomy bathroom. The only thing we did not like was the so-called high speed internet room. It was terrible. I think dial-up would have been faster!. The Mgr. felt the same and said they are looking into another provider. The breakfast was awesome! Made to order omlettes, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes. It was great. Always included in your stay. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub, but we did not get to enjoy that, becasue there were way too many children in the area. There was a life guard on duty. All in all, we will stay here again. FYI: There is an awesome, genuine Itallian bakery in the Wegmans shopping center right up the street. Vaccarros. The orriginal bakery is in the Little Italy area of Baltimore. We went there the day before and went to the new shop the morning we checked out. The cookies and cakes are great and authentic. It is worth the stop!

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian03
Reviewed January 6, 2009

My stay at the hotel was just "ok". I will try to make this short and sweet.

When I arrived I checked in at the kiosk that was in the lobby. Very convenient since there was a line. It was pretty late so I wanted to order room service. When I finally found the number I had 20-30mins left to order. I tried calling for 15 minutes!!! Not the best start to my supposed relaxing weekend. The front desk even tried for me but ....nothing. I ended up going to Outback around the corner for take out. The second night I tried room service again...big mistake. When I did get my food it was dry, overcooked, or something was missing. That meant waiting forever to have it fixed. Staff was nice but maybe they weren't enough working in the dept???

I liked my room but I agree, if you are sleeping on the couch/sofabed the noise from the atrium/waterfall can be loud. It didn't bother me since I was alone and slept in the bed. The view from my room.....
yuck! I had a view of the roof. The bathrooms....TINY! I refused to close the door b/c I would have felt like I was in a closet. Otherwise, everything else was nice. The beds and pillows are very PLUSH. I absolutely loved that.

The breakfast was GREAT! Plenty of options. It was pretty busy but I still got a table and had hot food. I always went pretty early and then went back up to bed :-) Staff there was nice as well.

Despite some of the bad, my stay wasn't horrible. I would suggest calling ahead for anything specific or if you want to know how full they are or if there are any conferences being held during your stay. This may prevent some of the problems I had. For the deal I got on their website though, I can't complain.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Mama2Boyz
Reviewed November 7, 2008

Embassy Suites has become our family's hotel of choice as we have four kids. We've never been to an ES hotel that has disappointed us, and this property was no exception.

The front desk was extremely helpful, and friendly. Altho I did call asking when the nearby Aquarium opened and the answer was(incredibly) " I have no idea." Um , not the correct response. Kinda like asking a hotel in Orlando if they know when the Magic Kingdom opens.

Regardless, this hotel with its beautiful indoor landscaping, is a terrific and inexpensive escape from the real world.

The issue of the railings being too wide is moot. I had no worries at all and we have three kids under 6. And unless you're sending them off on their own for an hour or two, this is such a non-issue.

Also, they may want to hire an additional chef to work the omellete station. We went rather early, there wasn't much of a line and waited about 15 mins. for three orders to be cooked. I realize the breakfast is free, but if you're going to do something, do it right .

Still, overall this is am excellent hotel. We'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank KershKomments
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to this Embassy suite for a weekend get away. The front desk staff was friendly, curtious and knowledgeable. The rooms were newly refurbished, the beds were excellent, one of the most comfortable rest in years of traveling to various hotels. It was in a key location next to the highway and above average shopping areas. Above all the free continental breakfast was excellent, worth every penny. If you are ever in this area, we highly recommend a stay at the Embassy Suite Hunt Valley Maryland. We will return if we are ever in this area.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AckeeTree
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My stay for this hotel was July 11-13, 2008. When I checked in, I found the floor staff to be very friendly and accommodating. As far as the décor, the rooms are typical of an Embassy Suite Hotel, a small living room with a refrigerator, and a bedroom. Each room appears to have a small outdoor balcony, but I could not get the sliding glass door to open…so no fresh air. No big deal since the only view was a mossy covered pond and it was 92 degrees outside. My main complaint would be about the maid service. I usually leave a tip for the maids since they spend their days making beds and running into god knows what when they are cleaning the rooms. The tip in this case was not worth leaving. I received fresh towels, but the old ones were still left were still left in the room where I had left them. In addition, the glasses that I used for wine were still sitting there dirty and I did not receive fresh glasses. Lastly, the bathroom was only half cleaned. It was almost as if the person was interrupted while cleaning my room and just left.

The proximity of this hotel to the mall and Wegmans (a grocery store) makes it a convenient place to stay but if there were other hotels nearby, I might explore other options.

Pluses:
Full breakfast everyday
Manager’s reception during the week
Having a fridge in the room to keep cold drinks and leftovers
Nice atmosphere in the bar

Minus
I do not think the hotel is secure…take your valuables with you!
Elevators were SLOW…and this was more noticeable because the hotel was almost full.
Maid service was lacking.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank lovestotravelalot1
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Our son who is four years old was able to fit through the railings of every balcony and all the rails in the atrium. We were on the 8th floor and he wanted to look at the pond below our room from the terrace that is easily accessible. We noticed the railings look too wide. We asked him to put his head near the rails, my husband held onto his shoulders to restrain him from falling. There was more then three inches on either side of his head.
We complained to corporate head quarters, they researched and found out that the railings are allowed to be six inches or more apart due to the Grandfathering of this building. There is no concern for the safety of our children. As we were explaining the issue to the staff on site we saw a girl that had to be at least 10 years old with her head and shoulders through the railing in the atrium to speak to an adult below. If a ten year old can push her body through the railings a small child/toddler will fall through before you can grab them.
The Hilton Corporate headquarters do not appear to be concerned about our children's safety. IF you need to stay there and you have small children, DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK ON THEM AT ANY TIME!!! When you open the room door your child can fall to their death or get seriously injured.
Please use caution and be safe!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Delta Hotels Baltimore Hunt Valley
Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore - North/Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!