“I should have trusted my gut. Ruined my hair.”
Review of Spa in the Valley

Spa in the Valley
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My first haircut after keeping my hair long for my wedding, and though I usually go to my stylist of 10+ years in New York, I was going to be in the area and decided to try somewhere a little more convenient. I called to schedule a haircut with a Platinum stylist, and arrived to find out I was booked with a Silver (minimal experience). The receptionists did not apologize for the mistake, but said I could wait 2 hours if I wanted... I should have trusted my gut and walked out, but I did need a trim so I foolishly talked myself out of leaving.

Consultation was fine, I was offered a cup of hot tea and headed to be washed. Shampoo was decent though only one person and I waited a few minutes. She also offered me something to drink. Walked over to the chair through a pile of long dried hair on the floor, expecting the hot tea I had been offered twice, and accepted twice, but it never came. The Haircut: From what I could tell it seemed fine at first. I asked for 2" off all around (no layers, no angles, just a clean cut), but unfortunately that is not what happened.

The blowdry was awful. I can't remember the last time I had my long hair blown out without a round brush. For a blowout or just a cut/dry, that is pretty standard protocol anywhere I've been, and should have been the same for this 'high-end' salon. Instead, I got a cold blowdryer and a paddle brush pulling my hair down against my head... in other words, the way you quickly blowdry hair on a kid who is on the brink of a temper tantrum. It was only 3/4 dry, and not a dab of finishing cream or a spritz of glossing spray was even considered.... but the worst was yet to come.

Because the blowout was the equivalent of air-drying out the car window, I had my hair in a ponytail all day yesterday. Today I washed and styled my hair as usual for the first time post-cut. I don't really experiment with my hair, so to hear my husband say "it looks... different" was a red flag. I used our double mirror to discover that it was ridiculously uneven, and that a HUGE chunk of hair in the front is about 3" shorter than the rest of my hair -- not in a layered way, in a mistake way. No wonder I walked out with such a deep side part, so I wouldn't notice the mistake. I uploaded a photo with my formerly even hair, can't really argue with that.

My follow-up call to explain how unhappy I was did not go well, as I was told that a lead stylist would be too busy cutting hair to call me from a phone that is meant to book appointments. I guess you can try it if you like to gamble, but I will not be risking my hair on this place ever again.

7  Thank WEKG
There are newer reviews for Spa in the Valley

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Got my toes and fingernails done, very nice job by Renee. Heard the massages there are an "experience!" Lots of lovely accessories and cosmetics to browse, also. I'd say it was well worth the visit.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Best massage EVER!!! Deenie really cares about your heath and well-being, and will customize the best massage for you according to your situation. It is wonderful to look forward to using the Tuscan room before your massage which relaxes you completely so that you are able to reap the benefits of your massage even more. When you are ready to feel ultimately pampered, Deenie will make you feel like a new person!!!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Ask for Eileen. She is amazing! I tell her where it hurts on my back and she gets all the knots out, plus tells me exercises to keep the pain away.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The last time that I went was with a group of girlfriends for a birthday. It was so wonderfully relaxing. Their Tuscan Room is wonderful, but I believe that it's not available for women on Mondays. Make sure you allot time to enjoy this free service. Just being able to hang out before going into our own private rooms for our services was nice.
The staff was super friendly, and the location of the spa allowed for us to walk to restaurants and continue our day of pampering!