“Good Restaurant Week Experience”
Review of The Oregon Grille

The Oregon Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oregon Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Hunt Valley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Beaver Dam Road
Baltimore, MD
“Good Restaurant Week Experience”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I don't eat here often, because the cost of a meal that I like and that fills me up is too expensive for a regular thing. The bar, however, has some happy hours with reasonably priced drinks and nice, free items to nibble on.

For restaurant week, I immediately went off the fixed-price menu and ordered a martini. It tasted good, but for $11.50 I found it to be a meager portion. The complimentary tapenade (two kinds) tasted good. The roll was pretty good as well. For an appetizer, I chose the "tuna stack," which was raw tuna layered on top of some mango layered onto avocado, with mild wasabi sauce drizzled on top of the "stack." I enjoyed this very much. Thinking that I would still be hungry eating only off of the fixed-price menu, I ordered an "appetizer of the day" that was described as being oysters covered by crab imperial. It turned out to be three oysters lightly covered in what I suppose could be classified as crab imperial. It tasted reasonably good, but when the bill arrived, and I saw that the appetizer was priced at twenty-one dollars, I regretted ordering it (it wasn't "twenty one dollars good" :) ). For my main course, I had the crabcake and green beans. The crab cake was good. It was a bit small, and it was not the very best that I have had in Baltimore. The beans were fresh and good. For dessert, I ordered the apple crisp (w. vanilla ice cream). There was a great deal more "crisp" than "apple," and my impression was that it was a bit dry and needed more apples, some lemon juice, a touch of cinnamon, and more butter in the "crisp." The ice cream was good. For the restaurant week price, I enjoyed the limited-choice meal. I understand that the filet main course was very good, as was the maple cheesecake dessert. The two items that I ordered off of regular menus, taking price into account, were a disappointment. If judged only by taste, service, and atmosphere, it was an enjoyable experience that I would like to repeat.

• Visited January 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
“Not such a Happy New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Had dinner with another family on New Years Eve. Super Busy and super slow. Problem really was not about how slow, but when the dinner finally came, food was obviously hurriedly prepared. The Special rack of Lamp had so much pepper sauce that it was almost unedible. Special pasta and Marlin was a very small piece of fish on top of alfredo. Lobster corn cake was bad and when we told the waiter that we did not like it, he offered to wrap it up so that we could take it home. One seafood and vegetables dish came as basically a vegetable dish. Really poor food for $100 a head. I come here every other month or so for business dinners. Wont be back any time soon.

• Visited January 2014
NEW FREEDOM
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such an enjoyable evening!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband, brotherand I decided to go for New Years Eve and we were all looking forward to a relaxing evening and a great dinner. Could not have been better. We had a wonderful experience. We were seated upstairs next to the fireplace which our wonderful server Michael diligently kept blazing for us. Began with drinks and the most incredible grilled oysters ever. Melted in your mouth. We had their crab cakes that were so delicious. My husband had the rock fish which he said was the best. Service was great and we were so well attended. Made us feel very special. End the evening with their famous Blueberry Slump and could not stop talking about it. But make sure you top it with their homemade whipped cream. And actually very reasonable too. Our bill for 3 people, including cocktails, appetizers, sides, entrees and dessert was only a little over $200.00. What a great way to end the year! You owe it to yourselves to give this beautiful place a try, we're definitely glad we did! Happy New Year!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Theresa W
Ankara, Turkey
“Fantasic Thanksgiving Dinner!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This year, my family decided to eat out for Thanksgiving dinner rather than go to the fuss of hosting. While there were several restaurants open, the Oregon Grille was one of the few open out in the county rather than downtown. Not only did we luck out with location but it was a lovely experience.

The building itself was very cozy - and equestrian themed. There is a small plaque on the front door saying jackets required after 5:30PM. So this is definitely a traditional place - as evidenced by some of the classic dishes on the menu - Oysters Rockefeller, Steak au poivre etc. There was definitely a sense of Old World sensibility about the place.

I didn't realize the restaurant was multi storied and that some of the seating was on the 2nd floor. Unfortunately one of our guests could not climb steps. Despite it being a packed house and what was apparently one of their busiest nights, the staff were able to find us a new table and seat us comfortably in front of a real fireplace that only added to the holiday atmosphere of the evening.

The service was slightly slow (hence why I only gave it a 4 out of 5) but was very attentive (the place was completely packed!). The food was really good - my father's steak was more than generous and their set Thanksgiving menu was everything I could have asked for. There was a pretty decent wine selection.

When my family said they wanted to eat out this Thanksgiving, I said only if the food was as good as my cooking or better. Our Thanksgiving at the Oregon Grille certainly met that stipulation. I definitely plan to go back another time and try the rest of their menu.

• Visited November 2013
Sykesville, MD
“Would be better at half the price”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Took my wife to the Oregon Grille for a romantic dinner for two on her 62nd birthday. As you might surmise we are an elderly couple and we have been to many restaurants. On the plus side the food was good, but not extraordinary, and the service was very good. On the minus side, the ambiance was so-so, the tables were too small, and the noise level too high because of the close proximity of the tables. Combining all of this, the meal was not worth the extraordinarily high price.I have had just as good, if not better, at half the cost. But still, it was worth the one visit. The restaurant is located in Maryland's "horse country" and I and sure many of the patrons are locals who do not concern themselves with the cost. But give it a try, if you are willing to pay $100 each not including dessert and more than one glass of the house wine, and form your own opinion.

• Visited November 2013