“Not great compared to other Joe's”
Review of Joes Crab Shack - CLOSED

Joes Crab Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been to quite a few different Joe's in the past, but this one just didn't pass muster for some reason. We were a group of 10 on Mother's Day, which may have been part of the problem, but they didn't seem overly busy...so I just don't know. Our waiter was wonderful - no complaints there - but the food just didn't seem as good as it usually does. First off...they got rid of dungeness crab, which was my favorite. Second, the crab wasn't cooked to perfection like I'm used to from them - it stuck to the shells making it difficult to eat. Our clams didn't have as much "sauce" on them as they usually do. The seasoning on the crabs was incredibly sparse. Things just seemed a bit off. Realistically, we'll probably return as it is the closest Joe's to home, and I hope it was just a bad day for them, but I left slightly disappointed.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stopped to grab dinner before going grocery shopping. We are HUGE fans of Joes in Wilmington, DE. This was our second visit to this Joe's Crab Shack. Our first visit was when they first opened. It was mediocre but we gave it to the newness and "working out the kinks". Tonight will be the last time for eating at this Joe's. The waitress was friendly and attentive. The rest of the dinner was down hill!. The appetizer was calamari - the breading fell off, the pieces were large and tasted greasy, like the cooking oil needed to be changed. One dinner the crab cake which was flat like a pancake and had a strange taste- definitely not fresh. It looked liked it had been cooked in a pan that had not been cleaned, black on the front and back. Told waitress but no one ever asked if I wanted something different. The king crab was not fresh and seemed like it was a reheat. The other diner said the food cooled off quickly. The rest of my dinner the fried whitefish, fries and onion strips tasted like old grease. Our stomached were rumbling shortly after dinner. Wanted to brush teeth right away to get the taste gone. There are other better choices in area for the money!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We took our family to this location for a Birthday celebration. The service was terrible since our server was also tending bar that day. They didn't have the country shrimp that I ordered so gave me stuffed shrimp. I could not find the shrimp and what I did have was terrible tasting and I was also served about 2 tablespoons of rice and 3 pieces of broccoli. My family ordered the steam buckets and were also very disappointed. All of us left hungry after a $158.00 bill! Unbelievable! The drink menu did not list prices either. Major rip off in every way.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Ignoring my sisters advise thought of give the place a try. Ordered two appetizers, crab stuffed mushrooms and garlic mussels. The crab stuffed mushrooms were described as being filled with a seafood blend. Upon questioning the server indicated the blend was a combo of crab and shrimp with mayo. Fortunately the kitchen was out of these at 6:30 on a Sunday... Too bad they had the garlic mussels. Numerous shells were cracked, the garlic was almost raw and several mussels in the small serving were unopened. My stomach is queasy as I write this. Wondering whether this was a reheat from a large batch cooked earlier. I'll never return!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Went about 8 on a Sunday evening and the place was almost empty. That was nice since I hate holding a pager for a table. The server was friendly and efficient. Since it was a late dinner we were hungry and ordered the appetizer sampler plate. The calamari was a bit under cooked and there weren't enough chips to go with the dip but the server brought some more chips out for us no-problem.
When the meals came out, I was astonished at how little food there was in the kids snow crab. It was a tiny piece of crab and small cob of corn for $9. The rest of the table had decent meals except for my crab cake salad. Don't let the photo on the menu fool you. It was a big bowl of lettuce with a tiny flat crabcake on it for $11. The worse part is when I took a bite it tasted like burnt toast! I flipped it over and the bottom was totally chared! The manager did come over to offer something else and said something about a new way of cooking the crab cakes on a skillet but I wasn't interested and just had some of the fried fish and shrimp from the other diners. If you dare to order crab cakes make sure you ask to have yours baked in the oven not burnt on a skillet!