“Not bad but not memorable either”
Review of Barrett's

Barrett's
Reserve with OpenTable
Barrett's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Hunt Valley
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: York Road
Maryland, United States
“Not bad but not memorable either”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I went here tonight for Valentine's. We went early so there were only 3 or 4 other couples there at the time. Here are a list of what we feel are pros and cons =

Pros -
Very clean and decorated well (not romantic but has a clean crisp contemporary feel)
The intro bread was hot and crusty, very nice
The food arrived quickly
The food was flavored/seasoned well
We were greeted quickly
The waiter who greeted us, seated us and served the table next to us was wonderful
The employees worked together bringing and cleaning up food
The beef stick with peanut sauce was wonderful

Cons -
My husband's steak was nicely done but my filet was tough and not a high quality steak
The portions are small and there was no presentation only food put on a plate
In stark contrast to the waiter who greeted us and served the table next to us, our waitress was withdrawn and left alot of her "work" for the other waiter. She didn't come back to check on our food and left my husband's glass empty even after stopping by to pick up a plate.
The Chocolate cake was drenched in a super sweet sauce and was so sweet that I couldn't eat it
The chef's vegetable was half a head of steamed broccoli split in 3 huge bland pieces

I can't say that we had a "bad" visit but there was nothing memorable or special about this place that makes me want to come back. I wish we had the other waiter, I think our experience would have been a little better. I've had better and I've had worse. Don't go in expecting fine dining, this restaurant is classier than casual dining but falls short of fine dining. For the cost I would suggest other local fine dining restaurants.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank VictoriaSe1

Atlanta, Georgia
“excellent Maryland seafood”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Crab soup and crab cakes are excellent. With the snow storm in Baltimore, I decided to order for take out and the service is excellent.

Visited February 2014
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Trying Hard to be a 5 Star Restaurant”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Take in mind when you read this review, that any comments are constructive rather than destructive. When my associate and I arrived at the restaurant, the "young Lady" immediately said she didn't think there was a table for us without a reservation. I said ok, we were from out of town and were able to go elsewhere. She gave us a look as though that was a no no. She immediately said that she was going to check and came back with, Lo and Behold, an empty table. The place was crowded but there were a few empty tables. I was very pleased that there was a jazz trio playing dinner type music. A very nice plus for the middle of week. It was a cold night and before we ordered dinner my associate and I ordered soup. I had the crab and corn chowder/bisque. He ordered the black bean soup which was his favorite. My pet peeve with restaurants is they don't serve "hot " soup. I took one taste and it was tepid at best. The server hadn't gotten 4 feet away when I asked him to heat it up. When it came back it was not only hot but really good. My associate said his soup was cool but he loved it so much he didn't want to send it back.

For entrees I ordered the short ribs and he ordered his favorite meat loaf, which the waitress said would be with a kick in it. He said it was as advertised and very good. My short ribs were very good. I have a suggestion which is put some extra sauce on the short ribs so that they wouldn't taste a little dried out. Don't get me wrong, they were delicious. Over all this was a very good restaurant, delightful and reasonable and very enjoyable. I highly recommend it for a nice evening. The service was second to none and with a few minor changes to some of the things I stated, I would have given it a 5 star rating.

• Visited January 2014
“Wonderful food and service”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

A recent lunch at Barratts was a real eye opener. This is NOT your typical shopping center eatery. Our server, from Albania was knowledgable, courtly and efficient. Our lunch was up to the high standards of the server. A very pleasant experience overall.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Place for Dinner”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have eaten at Barrett's several times during the last 6 months. The most recent was for New Year's Eve. We started out in the bar enjoying cocktails until our table was ready. We were seated on time based on our 7:30 reservation. Dinner was not rushed and we received great service. Dinner is always very good and it didn't disappoint this time either. We didn't stay to ring in the New Year but enjoyed our time while we were there. Will certainly be back.

• Visited December 2013