Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

A Wonderful Place to Visit

Reviewed March 4, 2019
John S
Hollywood, Maryland

All reviews self guided picnic lunch open to the public farmers market wedding reception guided tour visitor center nice walk patuxent river tidewater docent maryland history binoculars terrain field video
Selected filters
Reviewed August 1, 2019

We enjoyed our visit despite the sweltering heat. Our tour guide happened to be the Executive Director. She was very knowledgeable and gave us a very thorough visit/tour.
Truly a hidden gem!

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank kgpena
Reviewed March 4, 2019

Take a step back in time or just go for a nice walk on this beautiful plantation. so many things to see and do - come out for the farmers market or one of the many festivals. One of our favorite places!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed November 14, 2018

I'm not sure whether or not this is a 5-star attraction; it's the only plantation I have ever visited so I have nothing to compare it to. I gave it 5 stars simply for how much I enjoyed being there. I visited during the off season (mid-November), so the big house was not open. Neither was the visitor center. Having checked their website, I knew this would be the case but decided to go there anyway. I'm glad that I did! I did the self-guided tour. Maps were supposed to be available somewhere outside the visitor center for those who visit in the off season--if they were, I didn't see any. Most of us have smart phones, though, so it's very easy to just snap a picture of the map on the large sign in front of the visitor center. I think you'd be fine even without a map, since everything is rather self explanatory. (I admit to being a little distraught at first since I was having trouble orienting myself as to where the different buildings were, but it did not end up being a problem at all.)
I actually enjoyed the opportunity to stroll the grounds at my own (slow) pace. I'm not a fast walker; nor am I a fast reader, and I like to have a chance to read the plaques at leisure. You should wear good walking shoes, obviously. You have to walk down a rutted dirt road to get to the slaves' cabin, and you wouldn't want to miss that. Leave plenty of time for the Corn Crib. There is a ton of stuff to see in there, and you can listen to some recordings, and touch cotton that is straight from the field. If you have time, walk to the area above the slaves' quarters where you can see the river/bay. I got to see an eagle flying from there. I wish I'd had binoculars or a good camera!

The off-season self-guided tours ask for a $3 donation that you put into a box on the back of the visitor center. There are restrooms there, which were open even though the other doors were locked. There were also open restrooms on the dirt road to the slaves' cabin. (They weren't outhouses; they were modern restrooms with sinks, paper towels, etc.) As for people with disabilities, it would be possible to view many of the buildings from a wheelchair as long as it was the type of chair that could go over outdoor terrain. I doubt you could see every little thing, though. Since I did not get to go into the main house, I can't speak to how hard or easy that would be for folks with physical disabilities. There are picnic tables throughout the grounds, so it would be a nice place to bring a picnic lunch. I could tell that pets were allowed as there was a sign about picking up after your dog. I'd plan to be here for at least an hour, possibly 2 or 3 if you wanted to really take your time.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank Pumpkin88
Reviewed July 19, 2018

Lovely spot. Very interesting to see how this place and its owners fit into the fabric of history. Our tour guide, Ken, was a wealth of knowledge and cheerfully answered our questions. We were there for about 2 hours. The self-guided exhibits were well done. Worth the trip.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 11, 2018

What a fascinating place! From Colonial life to the granddaughter of JP Morgan. Beautiful setting, artifacts, and pictures covering 200+ years. Make sure to see the film, preferably before seeing the house. The docent doesn't volunteer this information so pay attention. There is a lot of potential here and I just hope the current trustees take advantage of grants and opportunities. The house isn't in the best shape but it holds quite a story.

Date of experience: July 2018