“Interesting Place, beautiful grounds”

Sotterley Historic Plantation
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hollywood
More attraction details
Owner description: An 18th-century house that sits on a high bluff with wonderful views of the Patuxent River.
Nashville, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Interesting Place, beautiful grounds”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

While on a recent visit to see my family in the area I decided to go check out this attraction as I had seen booklets on it at my hotel. I got there in between times of the main house tours and didnt want to wait so i went on the self guided tour of the grounds. It took me a few minutes to acclimate myself to the map we were given, as there aren't many signs on the property to show you the way, but once we figured that out it was an interesting tour. The buildings on the grounds give you an idea of life from that era in history and the views and the scenery are wonderful. The garden area was especially beautiful and it is a great spot to just stop and relax for a few minutes and take in the view and the beauty of it.
I did peak in a few windows on the main house and the next time I am in the area I will go on the house tour as it looked to be very historic and fascinating.

Visited June 2013

Damascus, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very interesting estate, with so many stories to tell”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went for a special program, so the main house was not open for tours. I enjoyed the walking tour of the garden and grounds and the program that they were holding (The Choice). The docents were extremely knowledgable. They actually are people who work on the investigations of the all the histories associated with the estate. Not only it is all in excellent condition. The visitor center documents its transformation through its very long history. And it is fascinating all the lives that it testifies about. And it does not cost a thing to visit for a trails walk in its very pleasant surroundings. I would love to go again to complete the actual house tours and walk a little further into the property.

Visited May 2013
Mechanicsville, Maryland
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Anual wine drinking contest”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I go to Sotterley once a year for wine drinking contest and tie one on. Its a great time. You just walk around tasting the different wines until you get drunk and fall on the group. Don;t worry about passing out. The area is covered with nice soft grass. Is almost like having a bed everyone you go.

You can even bring you dog if your into letting your dog get drunk.

Visited February 2013
Sanibel Island, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“special events here are a lot of fun”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We love seeing Santa here. Caution they lead you into a room to buy stuff after but skip this and head over to the really gift shop. there is something for everyone.

Visited November 2012
Ohio
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Wedding reception location”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We attended a wedding reception at the plantation. This was a lovely location. We were in a tent to the left of the house in the garden. The location is not friendly for those that can not walk far or steadily. The bathroom requires walking down a hill of uneven ground. The site looks very unchanged over the last 100 years.

Visited September 2012