“Learn to sail in three fun-filled days”

Baysail School & Yacht Charter - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Havre de Grace
More attraction details
Owner description: Sailing School and Boat Rentals: From beginner through Bareboat Charter Certification and navigation, BaySail offers a full range of ASA certified courses designed to enhance your skills and love of sailing. ASA certification is recognized worldwide by sailing professionals and yacht charter companies and ensures that our sailing school complies with an established and comprehensive program. BaySail also offers an excellent selection of day-sailors and yachts for charter and rent. BaySail was chosen as "Best of the Bay" for yacht charters by Chesapeake Bay Magazine. All BaySail yachts are fully equipped, sparkling clean and impeccably maintained. Bareboat, captained and instructional charters are available. BaySail has smaller boats for daysailing as well as a frequent sailor program for our daysailers called Club BaySail.
Reviewed May 8, 2017

Ever since I first took out a daysailer in the 1970's, my dream has been to get back on the water. But, then along came a wife, kids, a business and all the other obligations life throws at you when you live over 60 miles from the nearest navigable water. So, here I was, 60 y/o with a girlfriend who shared my dream even though she had never sailed before. So, I looked into the idea of checking this one off our bucket list.

I saw that Havre De Grace would be the nearest place to try sailing and after a little research, we picked Baysail to go for our ASA 101 certificate. We showed up for our first day (of a 3 day course) on a rainy friday morning (9:00AM) a bit concerned about the weekend's weather forecast.

We met Captain Russ who would be our instructor and he quickly got to work going over some sailing basics on a monitor in a tiny classroom. The great thing was there were only 3 students (class size is always between 2 and 4 students). Beth, myself and another friendly fellow from Delaware. After a couple hours in the classroom, fortunately, the weather broke and we were off to our 22 foot Catalina (Carolina) for 6 hours of hands-on sailing on the Chesapeake Bay.

Saturday and Sunday were about the same. A couple hours classroom going over all the practical knowledge a sailor requires to safely take a small sailboat out on the water. Then about 6 hours out on the Bay learning skills and having fun. Sunday afternoon, we all passed our ASA 101 tests with ease.

The long and short: No matter your age or experience level, all you need to get into sailing is the desire to do it and three days of your time. Of course, you can spend all your years perfecting those skills. Baysail is an excellent option. It's not just about the money for them, they really enjoy helping new sailors get started. Although everyone we met there was friendly and knowledgeable, Captain Russ is highly recommended. He is an expert sailor and is patient with new students.

So, if you're like me and have sailing on your bucket list, just give these guys a call and ask for Capt. Russ!

Date of experience: May 2017
"skiing"
in 29 reviews
"classroom"

Reviewed October 21, 2016

We recently took the ASA 101 course with Captain Jack at Baysail and enjoyed our course, learned lots, had fun and got a certificate too! What is not to love about that?! The team at Baysail are all really efficient and friendly and we will definitely be back to do our other certifications next year.

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank M99HMB
Reviewed September 26, 2016

Recently I took the 2 day ASA 101 sailing class with Captain Russ at Baysail in Havre de Grace, Md. The entire process from scheduling with Cindy and the actual class went so smoothly as everyone is so professional, understanding and polite. What a great experience for a novice on the water! When I say a novice I mean it in every sense but I came away from the class feeling much more confident and I am excited to continue with sailing in the future. Captain Russ is so knowledgeable, thorough and patient. His years of experience, enthusiasm and love of sailing is very apparent which makes the information easier to understand.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed August 4, 2016

I've taken numerous ASA courses at Baysail and chartered several times over the past 10 years... each experience has been great. The courses are taught by well-trained and knowledgeable captains. Even though you are taking a class, it's actually fun and feels like you are just sailing around the Bay for most of it. The captains do a great job of just incorporating instruction into whatever you happen to be doing at that time.

I recommend taking overnight combo courses if you can. It's much better to "live" on the boat for a few days than just go out for a few day sails. Living on the boat gives you much more experience and a greater feeling of accomplishment. Most importantly, it gives you a better feeling of confidence for when you charter a boat on your own.

I had so much fun during my classes with Baysail that I actually took several of them more than once! I've taken ASA 103 by itself once, and I've done the 103-104 combo course twice. After that, I had a friend who wanted to take the 104 course, so I took that with him again. This year, I'm scheduled to take the 104-114 combo course, which will be my fourth time taking 104! Chartering on your own can be a bit nerve-wracking, so the more instruction you can get the better. Plus, the courses are always a good time. I've met some great people during each of my classes.

Chartering is also great through Baysail. Tammy and Todd are great and make the process very easy. Their boats are reasonably priced and are always in top-notch condition. The whole office staff is great! Shout out to Sue!

If you are considering getting into sailing, this is a great way to start. I HIGHLY recommend it. What Baysail has taught me has really changed my life and opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me and my family!

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank Kevin B
See more reviews
Reviewed July 25, 2016

I finally talked my wife into getting our certifications together. She said she would go to the 101, but she wasnt so excited about persuing it any more than just the first class. We had Capt Bill, and we were the only two in the class. We both had such a good time that weve already BOTH signed up for 103. Hopefully I wont have to twist her arm to go farther along in the certifications. I would recommend Baysail to anyone thinking of wanting to learn. My wife was aprehensive because of limited experience. Ive been sailing for a while but wanted to get some formal training. The 101 class is geared towards anyone with no prior experience, but is very informative to even someone with a little experience. Cant wait for the next class!

Date of experience: July 2016