“Excellent School & Experience”

Baysail School & Yacht Charter - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Havre de Grace
More attraction details
Owner description: Sailing School and Boat Rentals: From beginner through Bareboat Charter Certification and navigation, BaySail offers a full range of ASA certified courses designed to enhance your skills and love of sailing. ASA certification is recognized worldwide by sailing professionals and yacht charter companies and ensures that our sailing school complies with an established and comprehensive program. BaySail also offers an excellent selection of day-sailors and yachts for charter and rent. BaySail was chosen as "Best of the Bay" for yacht charters by Chesapeake Bay Magazine. All BaySail yachts are fully equipped, sparkling clean and impeccably maintained. Bareboat, captained and instructional charters are available. BaySail has smaller boats for daysailing as well as a frequent sailor program for our daysailers called Club BaySail.
Reviewed October 21, 2016

We recently took the ASA 101 course with Captain Jack at Baysail and enjoyed our course, learned lots, had fun and got a certificate too! What is not to love about that?! The team at Baysail are all really efficient and friendly and we will definitely be back to do our other certifications next year.

Date of experience: October 2016
"skiing"
in 29 reviews
"classroom"

Reviewed September 26, 2016

Recently I took the 2 day ASA 101 sailing class with Captain Russ at Baysail in Havre de Grace, Md. The entire process from scheduling with Cindy and the actual class went so smoothly as everyone is so professional, understanding and polite. What a great experience for a novice on the water! When I say a novice I mean it in every sense but I came away from the class feeling much more confident and I am excited to continue with sailing in the future. Captain Russ is so knowledgeable, thorough and patient. His years of experience, enthusiasm and love of sailing is very apparent which makes the information easier to understand.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed August 4, 2016

I've taken numerous ASA courses at Baysail and chartered several times over the past 10 years... each experience has been great. The courses are taught by well-trained and knowledgeable captains. Even though you are taking a class, it's actually fun and feels like you are just sailing around the Bay for most of it. The captains do a great job of just incorporating instruction into whatever you happen to be doing at that time.

I recommend taking overnight combo courses if you can. It's much better to "live" on the boat for a few days than just go out for a few day sails. Living on the boat gives you much more experience and a greater feeling of accomplishment. Most importantly, it gives you a better feeling of confidence for when you charter a boat on your own.

I had so much fun during my classes with Baysail that I actually took several of them more than once! I've taken ASA 103 by itself once, and I've done the 103-104 combo course twice. After that, I had a friend who wanted to take the 104 course, so I took that with him again. This year, I'm scheduled to take the 104-114 combo course, which will be my fourth time taking 104! Chartering on your own can be a bit nerve-wracking, so the more instruction you can get the better. Plus, the courses are always a good time. I've met some great people during each of my classes.

Chartering is also great through Baysail. Tammy and Todd are great and make the process very easy. Their boats are reasonably priced and are always in top-notch condition. The whole office staff is great! Shout out to Sue!

If you are considering getting into sailing, this is a great way to start. I HIGHLY recommend it. What Baysail has taught me has really changed my life and opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me and my family!

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed July 25, 2016

I finally talked my wife into getting our certifications together. She said she would go to the 101, but she wasnt so excited about persuing it any more than just the first class. We had Capt Bill, and we were the only two in the class. We both had such a good time that weve already BOTH signed up for 103. Hopefully I wont have to twist her arm to go farther along in the certifications. I would recommend Baysail to anyone thinking of wanting to learn. My wife was aprehensive because of limited experience. Ive been sailing for a while but wanted to get some formal training. The 101 class is geared towards anyone with no prior experience, but is very informative to even someone with a little experience. Cant wait for the next class!

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank Lazypine
See more reviews
Reviewed May 14, 2016

Just returned from the Baysail 103/104 5 day combination course. The weather was pretty lousy but the instruction great. Lots of cold, little wind made the course potentially a disaster but Captain Jack did a great job finding ways for us to learn and improve our skills, especially in general the running of a boat as well as docking. Captain Jack very knowledgable. We had 4 students and Captain Jack. We took Baysail's newest addition, The Pegasus, a 41' Benneteau with all sorts of bells and whistles on its maiden voyage. Great Boat. Great Captain. Fun Crew.

My only somewhat negative is that the five of us shared 3 berths and the salon berth; meaning two strangers had to share a bed. Not my favorite thing to do but we got by.

Date of experience: May 2016