“Trade Off”

Tidewater Grille
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant which is at the bottom of a large parking lot behind another restaurant. It's right on the water and also overlooks the Amtrak train bridge. We loved the view from the glassed in patio. The staff was friendly, but the service was extremely slow. If the service had been a bit quicker, I would have given this establishment a 4 or even a 5 star rating. The food was DELICIOUS! I had a sandwich called The Powerhouse. It was vegetarian. I substituted the chips for the veggie medley. My mother had haddock sandwich and French onion soup. She enjoyed it and took half of it home. The entire meal was superbly presented and tasted great. For dessert, my husband and I shared the creme brule. Yum! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank bittenatthebayside

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on the recommendation of a colleague. I had the crab cake sandwhich, which I rate as average. The home made potato chips that accompienied the sandwhich, however, were top notch. The restaurant has nice views of the bay and a friendly, attentive wait staff.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Everything was amazing - the food, the service, the atmosphere. The owners and catering manager worked tirelessly to ensure that our small affair would be memorable - and it was! Big kudos and many thanks!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The food was excellent, but the atmosphere and outdoor seating was pretty special for us when we were newcomers to the area.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am surprised at how mixed the reviews of the food were. We stopped on a beautiful October day for a late lunch, and sat on the patio near the river. Heaven.
Our food was good -- the crab cakes (which we frequently do not order at restaurants because they are so much filler) were among the best we have ever had.

Based on our experience, I can't explain the negative ratings. If it is a beautiful day and you can sit on the porch, take the risk and go for it.

Because we had a good experience with the food, we'll go for it again, anyway.

P.S. We were travelling from NY to NC -- we stopped in HdG for lunch to try to escape boring I-95 chain food. We succeeded. If you're worried about the reviews here, a side trip to HdG to another restaurant is well worth it; it is a really pleasant break from I-95 ....

2  Thank Weyden