“Excellent food, very nice place”
Review of Vandiver Inn

Vandiver Inn
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in several guest rooms during the wedding reception as the owners left them open for wedding guests to look at during the wedding reception. All rooms have names and private baths. Brass name plaques were on each room's bed. I didn't stay overnight and it is not under the restaurants in Havre De Grace, so I'll have to review the food at the wedding I attended here. The wedding was performed onsite in an outdoor tent heated with patio heaters. The reception began in the B&B common areas including the front porch with butlered appetizers which included tasty vegetarian options, also scallops wrapt in bacon. After this, we all returned to the heated tent. The entrees at the buffet included pork loin wrapt in bacon and a layered pasta dish [they called squash manicotti] that was very very good. A vegetarian niece went back for seconds, as well as her [meatasaur] brother. This nephew said he'd never have even tried the vegetarian pasta dish [they called squash manicotti] if it was on a menu at a restaurant, but at the buffet he didn't bother to ask what it was the 1st visit, he simply said to give him some and those two both decided to go get seconds.
Very good food, very pleasant staff. Beautiful grounds. And street parking was ample

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rship1

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Vandiver Inn two nights in November 2012 (2nd and 3rd) in the O'Neill Suite on the first floor of the mansion. I have never ever ever slept in a more comfortable bed - if I could have fit it into my car I would have bought it from Susan and Jon (the owners of the inn) on the spot! The sheets were clean and the room was immaculate, the bathroom offers a claw-footed tub and a vanity which was nice for applying make-up and getting ready for the day. There is also a private entry from the back porch so you could come and go as you pleased! The fire place created an ambience that just set the mood for the romantic weekend and kept us toasty warm. The staff at the inn was always cordial and nice - they checked to make sure our every need was being met! The small town's shops and restaurants are within walking distance of the inn, as is the breathtaking promenade. Breakfast was exceptional and way more was offered than you would typically get another hotel in the area. The first morning we had scrambled eggs [real eggs, not the powdered eggs served elsewhere], sausage, and apple French toast. Our second morning’s breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon, and potatoes – which was equally delicious as Saturday’s breakfast! In addition to the warm entrée, Greek yogurt [they even offered granola if you wanted to add it to your yogurt], assorted cereals, scones, bagels, toast, a variety of juices and milk, tea, and coffee were offered if you wanted something lighter to start your day. I would definitely stay here again – if I had it my way there would be a Vandiver Inn in every town I ever have to visit!

Room Tip: We saw all of the room and decided on the O'Neill because we liked the exterior access. When we...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MichelleinMD
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are looking for the plastic perfection of the modern world then this is not the place for you, but...if you are looking for the truly unique romantic charm of a bygone era then this is definitely the place to have your special day. From the beautifully restored accomodations to the deliciously prepared food to the friendliest, most helpful staff, you will feel as if you have been transported back to slower paced, more gentile time. The beauty of the houses and grounds will astound you, The food, no matter which items you select, will please even the pickiest of your wedding guests. As for the owners and their exceptional staff, well, they make you feel as if yours are their only concerns. I have never felt more accomodated or catered to!
My daughter was married there this October and I can't imagine her wedding being any better and I owe much of that to the VanDiver folks. Thank you John, Susan and Chasi...you're the best!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This venue is the absolute best! From the time I booked the venue for my wedding a year and a half ago right up until our wedding day, everyone and everything was phenomenal. I cannot tell you how many times our guests said how delicious the food was, how amazing the space was, how friendly the staff and owners were and how it was "the best wedding" they had ever been to. The space itself is wonderful and would be perfect just to stay for a romantic weekend or for a get away. All of the rooms were beautiful, the beds were extremely comfortable and you get the victorian feel and look with updated amenities and modern conveniences. We checked out several venues while planning our wedding and this was by far the prettiest and the best price. Most things are included in the price of booking the wedding and you have many different options so you can customize your big day to fit your style and budget. The only vendors we had to book outside of the venue was the DJ, Photographer and Officiant and the Vandiver Inn even provides you with a list of known professionals that they've worked with and that are familiar with the Inn to help ease that process as well. Even the cake was included in the price of the venue and it was the prettiest and most delicious cake I've had at a wedding to date. Chasi, the day of coordinator is AMAZING. She is one of the friendliest people I have ever met and is incredible at her job. She was with us every step of the way and made sure everything went perfectly and flowed the way it was supposed to. I swear sometimes I felt like she was a mind reader throughout the night. My wedding was a same sex ceremony and reception and we were never treated any differently than a straight couple would have been by the owners or any of the staff and they were completely supportive. If you are looking to have a unique, romantic, fun and beautiful wedding, definitely choose the Vandiver Inn. John, Susan, Chasi and every other staff member that I met were wonderful. They made us, our family and friends feel like family and I loved every single thing about my wedding and it is definitely all thanks to them!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara W
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked this place just from looking on the web, and have to say the web site does not do it justice. The inn and other buildings are beautifully restored and up-to-date with amenities. The service is superior, all the staff we met were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was outstanding. We stayed in the Lafayette room in Murphy house; it was lovely. The staff has a sense of humor, displayed in their in-room info book. Nice touches like coffee always available, good house wines, plentiful candy bowl in entryway. Price is very reasonable for all you get. One thing that would be nice is a couple of luggage racks for suitcases. HdeG is a great little American small town, walkable, pretty neighborhoods, nice promenade by the lighthouse. We ate at 2 great places, Tidewater Grille w/great water views, and Laurrapin w/excellent food. Both were not pricey. Also check out the town's cute little library. One of our best small inn experiences.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatLoverColorado
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The name is Vandiver "Inn" and that is how I would describe this charming establishment. It is definitely more "inn"-like than a traditional B&B. We arrived in the evening while a catered event was taking place on the property. We were met by the owner and shown to our room by one of his helpful staff. We had been informed ahead of time that an event would be in progress upon our arrival and this proved to be a non-issue because we were still greeted warmly and once in our room we couldn't even hear the festivities (we stayed in the house next door to the main mansion). We have been to several B&B's which were quaint and cozy where the owner does everything from greeting you, taking you to your room, does the cooking and chats you up and tells you everything about the area. This is not the Vandiver. This is an inn with a friendly staff which provides clean and comfortable rooms in a charming old town. We enjoyed our two-night stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kpslas
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Me and my spouse were in the area, looking for a library to print some tickets. It turned out to be closed, so we walked down the street looking for a print shop or somebody who'd help us for a buck or two. The manager at this place was quick to offer help when we explained our situation; so we got our admission to Six Flags in New Jersey. He insisted that we did not pay him a dime.

Thanks again, man! If you guys are always this nice, I bet your customers are having a great stay.

/Andreas and Madde

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havre de Grace
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
#6 of 16 in Aberdeen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#7 of 16 in Aberdeen
Super 8 Havre De Grace Aberdeen Area

Been to Vandiver Inn? Share your experiences!