“A home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havre de Grace
Spencer-Silver Mansion
Baltimore, Maryland
“A home away from home”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My mother and I live a couple hours away from each other, seeing each other on a regular basis just doesn't happen like we would want to. My Aunt also lives a few hours away. So I started doing some research to find a half way point that we can come to to spend some time together. My mom and I both love historical places and old Victorian Homes. So I was delighted to find that Havre De Grace and the Spencer-Silver fit the bill for both our tastes. Well, this is our second year coming to the Spencer Silver Mansion, and I'm quite certain it will be a regular thing. This place is truly a home away from home. The House is so ENCHANTING, both inside and outside. The grounds are always kept trimmed and beautiful,especially in the spring and summer as Carol goes to great lengths to plant flowers all over the property and in flower boxes on the porches and window sills. Carol, the owner, is really fabulous.She really does care about her guests and does all she can to accommodate. When we have breakfast in the morning, which is a treat all by itself, we insist she sit with us to have some coffee just so we can chat with her. she is a delight to conversate with. I strongly encourage anyone looking for a quaint getaway, at a place that makes you want to just move in for good, to stay here. Each time you come back you can pick a different room which in turn gives you a whole new experience. We stayed in Carols room the first time, this second time was the carriage house. Both times were awesome. I'm looking forward to our stay again in August as we are going to the seafood festival in Havre De Grace. Thanks Carol For making our stay pleasant and unforgettable. See you soon

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our one year anniversary. We were there just one night, March 8th, 2013. The place is beautiful both inside and out. We stayed at the Carriage House which was perfect for privacy. The jacuzzi tub is HUGE, which was a fantastic bonus. The owner was lovely and very sweet. The day we left, my husband went to have breakfast but I did not because I was not feeling well. He brought a plate back to me and we both agreed it was the best breakfast. The owner even called to be sure I was feeling alright! You just don't get treatment like that anywhere else. I hate we weren't able to stay longer, but I am sure we will be back.

Room Tip: The Carriage House is perfect for a romantic getaway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I visited Spencer-Silver the first weekend of April with two girlfriends. It was our first "girl's weekend" together and Carol, the owner of Spencer-Silver, helped make it a fantastic weekend. She was very welcoming and pleasant, gave us great tips about what to see and do and was just so witty and fun to talk to. We stayed in "Carol's Room" which was large and comfortable for the three of us. The first night we didn't even bother going anywhere; just stayed in and soaked up the atmosphere of the place. Breakfast was delicious - Carol's home fries are the best I've ever had. Blueberry pancakes, fresh-baked goodies, a wonderful egg dish the second morning...I think it's fair to say we felt pampered! Overall it's a great place for a girl's weekend and I hope to visit there again someday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

left on Sunday after breakfast. When we arrived, we were greeted by the owner, given a tour of the house, info on the town, and a gift card to a local restaurant!
We stayed in the Garden room, which had it's own bathroom with clawfoot tub and shower. The bed was queen sized, and very comfortable. There was a small tv with dvd player and cable, but we didn't watch much of that, since we were there to relax. The room also had robes and hand made slippers for us!
The food at Spencer-Silver was amazing! Delicious hot breakfasts made for you with muffins, fruit, coffee, and tea. She even takes requests! Then, throughout the day she bakes cookies, and has coffee and tea available.
When we come back to Havre de Grace, we'll definitely be staying here (maybe in the carriage house, with our kids)!

Room Tip: Garden room, Iris room, and Carriage house all have private bathrooms. The other 2 rooms share a hal...
Catonsville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We knew we had arrived at the Spencer Silver Mansion because it stands out on its street. The building is beautiful and ornately decorated inside and out. We enjoyed our stay! The food was very good, the cookies and coffee/tea were delicious, and the cats were cute.

A few things worth noting:
-The bed size is not listed for the Swan Room and it appears to be a full bed. With the end board, it is not a good option for tall visitors.
-The bed is not overly comfortable, and repositioning in it is noisy.
-The TV is rather small, but we didn't really use it.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I must say I had a splendid time at this establishment. As a budding author of horror novels it was the perfect setting for me to relax and work for a few days away from all the humdrums of everyday life. My wife had picked this place as a gift for me and I must say she picked well. We tend to stay in cabins or camp in an RV so this was my first time staying at a B&B, I have never been fond of cookie cutter hotels and the Spencer Silver Mansion was perfect. Between the homes beauty and the attention of the proprietor Carol whom upon hearing that we had to leave early in the morning, had awaken early to be certain we were fed a meal before we were on our way. I will say the Spencer Silver Mansion went above and beyond exceeding my expectations. Great muffins too.

Room Tip: If you are tall, the Garden room has no foot board. Which is great if your feet stick out from the e...
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We decided to split our long NY-NC drive by stopping in MD (like oppsadaisy), and thought a chain motel on 95 seemed boring. So we discovereded the Spencer-Silver Mansion on the web. The photos drew us immediately, and we knew from previous visits that HdG was a fun small town. So we -- my wife and I (and small dog) -- picked the room with the Jacuzzi.
Our stay was pleasant from beginning to end. The whole house (except for the Jacuzzi :-) ) is high Victorian. The inn-keeper is pleasant and accommodating -- coffee and tea ready, great freshly baked cookies. Breakfast on-time and ample -- Kathy W is on the mark on that one.
We walked to dinner. We walked the dog around the neighborhood.
Cost was quite reasonable.
What is not to like?

Room Tip: The web site is clear about the Jacuzzi room and others, and whether private bath or not. And Carol...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Weyden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havre de Grace
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#7 of 16 in Aberdeen
Home2 Suites by Hilton Baltimore Aberdeen

Been to Spencer-Silver Mansion? Share your experiences!