“Not a gambler, but enjoyed the overall experience!”

Maryland Live Casino
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Hanover
Chesterfield, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Not a gambler, but enjoyed the overall experience!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have to say that I am not a gambler, but I went to celebrate a friends birthday. We had dinner at the Live! Buffet and the food was pretty good. Most people dive head first into the crab legs, but I stuck to the filet mignon and Asian & Italian cuisine. The filet was very tender and well flavored. The Asian food was okay, but the pizza and the pasta w/meatballs were delicious. The buffet had a wide variety, I didn't even get to sample everything. To top it off, they have a frozen yogurt and ice cream bar with lots of variety.

On to the casino. First of all it was PACKED! There were swarms of people everywhere and it was loud, but hey it's a casino not a library. I played around on the slot machines for a bit and walked out only $25 poorer (I'm very frugal). I don't really drink but I was surprised to find out that you had to pay for your alcoholic beverages on the floor, they only offered free soda. I thought that was very tacky as I've been to Atlantic City and thought it was customary that they provided free drinks. The lines for the ATM's and cashout machines were pretty long, but it you practice a little patience it's not that bad. The parking was crazy, even though they have a garage, but because so many people were there it was just a lil' wild. I'll def valet the next time I go. There's a Phillips Seafood, and a few other restaurants circling the casino. I snagged a slice of cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory on my way out. There's also a coat check and the restrooms were very clean.

This is a BEAUTIFUL casino, however I can understand why others think its sub-par. Please don't expect Vegas or even Atlantic City, however with it only being 2.5 hours from my house, it made for a nice day trip. I'm going back this weekend for my 35th birthday with a slew of my family and friends. Will def write another review after this experience.

1 Thank RaveyBaby

• Korean first
Chester, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great location for a casino!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The casino was great, really great even though there was no human dealers. The location and high standard made up for that. Besides that, they sent me $100.00 in play credit to replace the $100.00 that I lost. So I guess I will be going back real soon. It's located at the Arundel Mills Mall which is a beautiful mall full of store and great places to eat. They say that the location is everything and they are right! lol

1 Thank sullieone
Sykesville, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Big steaming pile of disappointment”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me preface this review by stating that I am by nature not a complaining person. I most often try to make the best of whatever situation I'm in, and to overlook the bad in favor of the good -- to do otherwise is to invite misery wherever one goes. Read my other reviews and you'll see what I mean.

My wife and I live about 25 miles from Maryland Live, so for the time being, it's the most geographically friendly casino to us. That's about the only way this place is friendly. We spent some of our tax refunds by visiting Maryland Live twice this past weekend.

The first night, Friday, was the better of the two. The casino floor was surprisingly uncrowded for a weekend night, but the same things I didn't like about the place (when we first visited this past fall, after it first opened) are still there: 1. Long lines for ATM's, because there aren't enough of them, and the ones that are there are often out of service. There are LOTS of ticket-redemption machines, which look like ATM's but aren't. 2. Slot machines with minimum bets, for example, a nickel machine requires that you bet no less than a dollar on every play. We found a two-cent machine that requires a minimum 80-cent bet. What is the point of having two-cent machines or nickel machines, if they're going to require twenty or forty times those amounts for every play? ALL the machines are like this, regardless of denomination. 3. Not much winning going on. We've visited four times now, and each time we set a limit as to how much money we're willing to lose. We've lost that amount every time. 4. Paying for drinks on the gaming floor. I've been to several casinos in my life, and never, until visiting Maryland Live, have I paid for a drink on the gaming floor. To make it worse, the drinks are watery and served in small (maybe 8 oz) plastic cups. This really doesn't make a customer feel welcomed at a casino.

This past Friday night, since I didn't feel like gambling, I headed over to the Ram's Head bar for a drink (thus to avoid the small, watery $5 cups on the gaming floor). There was a very good local cover band playing hits from the 90's. They were entertaining, but they don't live up to the billing on the Maryland Live web page: "Catch your favorite artists and bands, front row and center." A look at the entertainment calendar on the Maryland Live website doesn't show a single artist or band that I would consider one of my favorites. There's a great abundance of "tribute" bands, and bands covering music from certain decades. There are a lot of karaoke nights (relying on the guests to provide entertainment?) and at least one night a week, there's a DJ. Coming up in March, there is only one nationally-known band, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Most of the shows are free, but some are not, and Maryland Live needs to do better at pointing out the shows for which customers must pay for tickets.

There are only two bars in this huge place, other than those in the restaurants attached to the perimeter of the casino. Even though the casino floor was relatively uncrowded, it was tough to get a seat at either bar, but I managed to find one at Ram's Head. I wanted a drink. I was sitting AT THE BAR, not standing behind a few other people, but seated at the bar, and it seemed I was invisible to the entire bar staff. I made eye contact with a bartender -- surely this person would ask for my order, but no, she just walked on by. This happened many more times before someone finally asked me what I wanted. I was not the only one being ignored.

Restrooms are few and far between, as are signs directing one to them. At one point I found myself on a very long walk to find relief.

So that was Friday night, which was tolerable. Then came Saturday night -- we came back because my wife really enjoys the slot machines. Saturday night presented all the problems mentioned above, but the place was so jammed full, every problem seemed worse. It was almost frighteningly crowded. People look everywhere but where they're walking, so there are frequent pedestrian collisions. There didn't appear to be one available slot machine. The staff at the doors were still letting hundreds more people in -- we began to wonder just how many people they were planning to cram into the place. It was hot, smelly, and just unpleasant. Imagine Chuck E. Cheese for adults (although I did see some people pushing kids in strollers -- how does that happen?). Getting a seat at one of the two bars was impossible. I managed to lean against the corner of the Ram's Head bar, but again, I was invisible to the bar staff. In the two hours we spent there, I was not able to get a drink at all.

My wife reported she lost $100 in less than an hour, and we were both just done with the place. It's a shame -- there is great potential there, but in their greed to pull in the big bucks, Maryland Live is really sacrificing customer service, comfort and enjoyment. It's not hard to imagine that when other casinos open in Maryland (in nearby Baltimore and Prince George's County), Maryland Live will begin losing customers in droves.

7 Thank pat21784
Annapolis, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“md live gets it right”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

i have been going to md live since this fall. all i can say is the management running md live is on point. having been to vegas several times md live reminds of a highend casino in vegas. i always have a good time here. they have all the latest machines. they play great music throughout the casino. al the waitresses are friendly and way hot which helps ease the pain if the machines are not paying that night. alot of people complain about the price of the buffet but the price is no more than a buffet in vegas. all the food is fresh and they have someone behind each station always making sure food is well stocked and fresh. i like md live so much i had a trip planned to vegas in april but i canceled i have more fun at md live than vegas. all i need now is a casino host and i will be all set. thanks md live i love it there

1 Thank stealth117893
Baltimore
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Eh.”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just got back from my first time going to the Live Casino. I don't know if I expected too much or what, but it wasn't what I had in mind.