“Mediocre - will need significant improvement to compete with new hotels in the area”

Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here for a 4 day business trip which was fine - although I had planned to stay here as part of my holiday beforehand, so glad I didn't as I really would have been bitterly disappointed.

For business it was fine, eating breakfast from polystyrene bowls with plastic spoons was a little disconcerting and having to walk down to reception to grab some hot water for a cup of tea wasn't great either.

Staff looked bored and spent most of the time on the phone to friends instead of serving customers, I felt like I was an unnecessary distraction. The whole place was tired and depressing. One of the shuttle bus driver was rude and I almost feared for my life riding alongside him.

The great position of the hotel makes it easy to walk to Arundel Mills Mall.

There are some new more modern and far cheaper hotels open in the Arundel Mills area with five star quality - I was sent here with my company although given the choice I wouldn't stay again. If The Residence Inn want to compete some significant improvements need to be made.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bexxypink
tad s, Manager at Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are getting ready to start a complete renovation of our lobby, library, billiard room, dining room and hallways. Please come and check it out in Spring 2013!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Arundel Mills BWI Airport

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I had a great stay at this hotel while we were in town to visit the Arundel Mills outlet and Maryland Live! Casino. The facility itself is right across the street from the Mall/Casino. They offer a 24 hour shuttle back and forth. All you have to do is call!
Our suites were just as described! If we had not eaten out, we could have cooked in our rooms easily. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. Our one bedroom suite had a tv in the "great room" and the bedroom. My sister had a studio suite. This is more suitable for pepole who don't mind sharing open spaces ( a family with young children, girl/guy friends, etc)
The stay also includes a free hot/cold breakfast,which on Sunday included scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, yogurt, etc. a selection of juices. Coffee and Hot Chocolate are availbale 24-7.
The first floor also accomodated a two computer business center, a sitting room with a TV, a room with a billiard table. All of the first floor was nicely decorated for the Christmas holidays.There is a pool, but it is outdoors.
The staff was SUPER friendly and helpful. We thank Michelle Attai and Sharon Dorsey! We didn't get the name of the the lady who was on duty when we checked out Sunday afternoon. She was just as awesome!
When we come back to the area again, we will be sure to book our stay at this hotel again. We could make this trip in a day, but it would be SO worth it to us to book another stay at this fabulous facility!

Room Tip: Our room faced the front, but we could not hear any noises from the road.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank davicea

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. Our team works hard make each of our guests feel appreciated. We are glad we made a connection with you and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The perfect stay for a rewards guest. I'm sure the service is equally great for any guest and was very pleased with the upgrade and treatment staying on reward points. It is ideally central to many attractions, a short drive from Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and shopping/casino within walking distance. Lots of restaurant choices are also within a short walk or drive. You can't beat the price for all of this in an ideal location...and again, the service was superb at every encounter from checkin to breakfast to departure.

Room Tip: excellent value and upgrade using gold level points
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kauai-Biz-Traveler
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was a last minute Saturday stay decision for my husband and I. Glad we did. First let me say, that I made the reservation online and there was no problem checking in. I requested an early check-in and it was made available. Front desk staff, "AWESOME". Made us feel special from the time we arrived. The room was nice and comfy. Separate living room area with large color tv, kitchenette, separate bedroom w/queen bed w/color tv, and bathroom w/full bath and shower. We even forgot some of our toiletries and the front desk was more than accommodating.

Did I mention, location, location? We were .1 miles from Arundel Mills Mall. Obviously shopping abounds, but Arundel Mills also includes the new casino, "Maryland Live" for those that enjoy the sport. There are several restaurants within the casino including the Cheesecake Factory. There is also a buffet for those that simply want an array of selections. For those that may not want to be a little more frugal, there are many restaurants right on the strip and an eatery within the mall.

So after a full day at the mall and all its offerings, head back to Residence Inn to a very comfy bed and a good night of slumber. Don't forget to make it down to the FREE breakfast buffet the next morning. The offerings were scrambled eggs, cereal, sausage, salsa and fixings (for the eggs), fruit, waffles, biscuits, juices, milk, etc. I think you get the picture….a little something for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheAdventures
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great hotel for quick stop over to experience dc area. Apartment are large and comfortable. Bed are a little be hard but sleeps well. Hotel has a shuttle bus to airport and nearby mall and train station so call before coming to avoid paying for cab. Breakfast is nice though limited in spread. Hotel also has a pool and very nice snooker table. Have no regret staying here.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Juliusfad
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were very pleased with how friendly the staff was (even at the late hour of our arrival). The suite was clean and nicely decorated. The amenities, including the laundry facility, business center and work out room, were great. Best of all, the breakfast buffet was a great treat to get us on the road back home.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'm a silver Marriott frequent guest, platinum Hyatt and Gold Hilton. We had just come from a lovely stay at the Hyatt Regency Resort in Cambridge. I didn't expect this Residence in to be of the same quality, but by reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I expected much more than I received. Check-in went fine, the location is close to the airport and right inside the mall area.
Easy access on and off Rt. 100 so it is a good location to visit other areas. The new casino "Live" just opened up and is right around the corner. We did go there and enjoyed the poker slots and the whole atmosphere. But getting back to the hotel. When we entered our room, it smelled terrible as the A/C was not on. The rooms were redone in 2009, well, sort of. I always try and stay in newer hotels, but thought since the rooms were not that old, it would be nice. The couch was stained and sagging and we would not sit on it without a sheet. The kitchen had old, stained appliances and were not clean. People said you could not hear the planes in the rooms, but we did hear them. Fortunately, they were not overnight. Breakfast was so-so and the waffle maker was the best thing there. Also, checkout was at 12:00 and the front desk clerk wouldn't give us even 10 extra minutes to checkout. We are suppose to get an hour extra, but she denied us...said the hotel was booked that night. I went on line after she said that and funny, they were still selling rooms. The best part of the hotel is the outside pool, hot tub and firepit. They are modern and nice. I used the fitness room and it has LifeFitness equipment with individual TV's , but you have to bring your own headset and it wasn't too clean. I guess I expected more from this hotel after reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor. I've stayed in a lot of other Residence Inn's and this was close to the bottom of all my stays. I used points for my two night stay, but the AAA rate was $199. I would NOT have paid that and would have left once I went up to the room if I was paying. I guess people think this hotel is a good value during the week when it includes the light dinner. I was there on the weekend, so I was looking at the value for the room and limited breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple