WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Timbuktu Restaurant

Timbuktu Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 110 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Jersey
“Just went back after 5 years. No need to hurry back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Five years ago I was a believer that Timbuktu was he best place for crab cakes. I couldn't wait to go there last night.

The waiter was not that good and service was average. I asked if the crab cakes and shrimp dinner could be done with he shrimp either steamed or broiled but not fried. Not an option. Fried or nothing.

I hate being told no!

The crab cake was good but not as good as I remember.

I was satisfied with the overall meal but had higher recollections. Maybe it was me thinking more highly of past meals than it actually was.

I would probably go elsewhere next time in the area

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great place for a large group!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Met friends and relatives at Timbuktu from all over the DC area for lunch on a Sunday. Timbuktu takes reservations so the table was ready when we arrived, which is super!
Very good waitress. Great, extensive menu--if a diner couldn't find something to eat, the diner is not hungry.
Timbuktu specializes in crab cakes, which looked huge and delightful. I had a chef salad, which was delicious. Thought the rolls were especially tasty.
Can't miss with this excellent place!

• Visited January 2013
Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania
“great crab cakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

this restaurant has a very good selection of seafood and steakes. their crab cakes and lobster stuffed with crab are very good.

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow Wow Wow I love it! Crab cake heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

One day, when traveling to DC, I went through BWI and headed to DC at about 9:45 PM. I was hungry and wanted something to eat but decided to drive a little bit and take an exit further down. While driving, I saw a restaurant..exited the highway and took a side road. On the way to a restaurant, I passed what look to be a bingo place with no windows and a food sign outdoors with special…I was not going to stop there. I kept on going. Parked the car at this restaurant and a smiling waitress comes up to me and says “sorry, kitchen is closed!”.
I headed back to the highway, but I was really hungry, so I stop at the bingo place…Timbuktu. Fearful for what I may find or if I was going to get sick… I went in. People all happy were exiting the restaurant and I asked them “what is the best thing they have here?” All at one time stated all different things. Crab cakes was The MUST on everyone’s mind.
The place is architecturally strange. I do not recall seeing a window. It is not a fancy restaurant with the prefabricated tables and chairs. Very simple, somewhat segmented rooms. It looked like the locals really enjoyed the place.
Crab cakes and soft-shell crab were ordered. Note that the prices were not cheap and everyone was really digging in and there were a lot of people there just short of 1000PM on a Thursday night.
Heaven came served on a plate. Two huge crab cakes, no fillers. Crab on Crab in a little fried cake … puts birthday cakes to shame. Softshell crabs that were perfectly cooked. With every bite, it got better and the “mmmmm” “mmmmm” “mmm mmm mmm” that came out of my mouth! WOW.
It was way too much food even for 2 people (depending on how much you eat). I heard that they have desserts but I don’t think people get to order them very often since the main courses are outstanding.
If you can get passed the bingo looking outside, you will have some of the best crab cakes ever and I have lived in DC, MD, VA.
Enjoy ever mmm mmm mmm bite!

• Visited January 2013
Wilkesboro, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Baltimore Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very busy and popular. Eat in and take-out. Great food. Great Service, Good value. I want to go back! Crab Salad is delicious.

• Visited November 2012