“Very good value -- excellent budget motel”

Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BW Parkway
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Philadelphia, PA
“Very good value -- excellent budget motel”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I needed to stay a couple of nights in the area, and I was intrigued by the excellent reviews this hotel gets on Tripadvisor. When I looked at the price -- you can easily get a room here for about $50 -- I HAD to try it.

And that was a good choice, because this Red Roof delivers terrific value for money. That said, I need to provide some perspective (call it "the very frequent traveller" perspective) on what's being offered here.

What we have here is an old motel ('70s Holiday Inn perhaps?) that has received a lot of TLC. The exterior is mostly '70s motel (outside walkways to rooms, no elevator, etc.) while the interiors have been recently renovated to reflect modern taste and convenience. They basically gutted the rooms, so while you still have a tiny '70s style bathroom, the rest of the room had flat screen TV, wood laminate floors, stylish modern furniture, a funky-looking sink, etc. The rooms look very sharp, and are comfortable.

That said, you're still in a budget motel. Bad towels (towel theft must still be a problem at this price point!), no hairdryer, not even a box of tissues in the room. I even started running out of toilet paper after the first night! Beds and bed linen are OK -- indeed, probably better than OK, as long as you're not too used to the lux beds at the fancier chains.

One thing to note is that if you're travelling with a family, the 2-bedded rooms only have double beds, which are pretty crummy to share. Why any hotelier would renovate and put in double beds is beyond my comprehension, but many fancier hotels do it also. Finally, there's no free breakfast (only bad coffee and tepid water for tea in the lobby), so a slightly more expensive hotel that provides breakfast MIGHT be a better value for a family stay if the price wasn't much higher.

That said, for the price -- especially for solo or couple travellers -- this motel is hard to beat. I applaud Red Roof for offering such good value to their customers. I also appreciated how my neighbors were quiet, so I was able to get a very good night's sleep (which is sometimes a problem at budget motels; obviously, your experience might differ).

One final thing about the location. It's convenient to the highway, just off I-95, and safe. It's also next to a decent-looking but somewhat expensive seafood restaurant (Gunning's). But it's on a road "Parkway Drive" that's been cut in half by Highway 100. Even though it's really on "S. Parkway Drive," the address of the hotel is "Parkway Drive." Do not trust your GPS; instead, follow the highway signs to "S. Parkway Drive." Stay on the south side of the highway and you won't make a needless 1 mile detour! If you get to the Ramada on the wrong side of Highway 100, you need to turn around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave's_reviews
redroof107, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BW Parkway, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
I appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel. It means a lot when it comes from a frequent traveler like yourself. I am glad our property was able to meet your expectations and if you ever find yourself in the area again – I promise – we will still be the best value in the greater Baltimore area.

i0107@redroof.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Londolozi Private Game Reserve, South Africa
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Been staying here for a few weeks without trouble. That is if you never try to deal with the GM, I extended out my stay the other night, signed and got everything approved no problem I thought, till I get a call from the GM saying I never signed anything. Said ok I'll come down and resign them today. got there and low and behold nothing that was agreed upon when extended was on there for cost.
He had redone it to up the charges totally for all nights.

Don't stay unless you do it on line or by phone thru the national desk

NEVER TRUST THEM HERE AT ALL EVER!!!!!

Room Tip: STAY AWAY if you ever want to use WIFI. It is mostly non-exsistant
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
redroof107, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BW Parkway, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback and I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. We approach every guest and every situation with a focus on exceeding all of our guests expectations. I apologize if there was any confusion in extending your stay. At the property level, we have a set of available rates that we are able to offer our guests. If the guest is able to take advantage of a rate advertised through an online resource, we recommend that the guest book the rate online in order to access the promotion. I appreciate your feedback and I hope you will give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 15, 2012

OK.... lets start with the pictures of the remodeled rooms...... this is the the first hotel i have ever stayed in and the pictures on the website match 100% with the room. you no some hotels post pictures of the $$$$ rooms and the cheap rooms dont make the cut and the look like ..... the staff 5 star in my book. the front desk person named Curtis was very funny, polite, and, professional. We stayed for 3 days 4 nights and he was just smiling answering my meny questions ... to me it seemed like he was happy. i said its to early to b smiling he said why not......hay i booked super price, super location, and the new rooms alone..... SOLD ;).........

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BreylenT
redroof107, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BW Parkway, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Thank you very much for selecting our hotel for your visit to Hanover! We are so glad you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. We, at Red Roof Inn, savor the opportunity to provide our guests with an all around great experience whether that involves providing recommendations for local attractions, directions to your next destination or any other assistance. Thank you so much for allowing me to assist and I hope we see you again very soon!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed over night before I left for business from BWI.I was a bit leary but I needed a inexpensive place to sleep.Soon as I arrived I knew the hotel was a good find. My room was better than a lot of 4 star hotels I have stayed in.I loved the wood floors and modern furniture.The in room food service was so convenient..The area was perfect and safe...I will stay again ..

• Stayed March 2012
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Red Roof Inn BW Parkway. Our newly renovated rooms include brand new mattresses, flat screen TV's, contemporary furniture and hardwood floors. These rooms were designed so we could compete with any hotel brand in quality; however, we make sure to sell our rooms at rates that ensure we are the absolute best value in the area. Thank you so much for your kind words and I'll be sure to share your comments with the rest of the staff.

Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in a king non smoking room. The price was good for the area. The location is less than 10 mls from Baltimore. Arundel Mills Mall is less than 5 mls with plenty of restaurants in the area. The room was very clean, spacious, comfortable, & quiet. It contained a small fridge, microwave, & 25" tv all in good working condition. I had no problems with hot water or water pressure in the shower. The window had a nice privacy curtain. A/C & heat worked without any problems. My room faced Gunner's restaurant, which is a decent place, only a few steps across the parking lot, for a beer and lunch/dinner. Check in and check out was friendly and quick. They give 10% off for AAA. I'd definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Red Roof Inn BW Parkway. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights here in February. The interior has been completely redone for each room & it looks very modern. Our room was clean and comfortable, we had no complaints!

Room Tip: No elevator for second floor. Red Roof Inn does allow pets (or at least I saw a couple bring their p...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments! Like many of our guests, I am glad you found value in our product. We hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2012

My stay there was great rooms are so stylish like fancy ones w/o the outrageous price.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always striving to create a great experience for our guests. I will share your feedback with the staff to encourage them to continue their hard work. Thanks again, and we look forward to your next stay with us!

i0107@redroof.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BWI Airport
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washi...
#8 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
Ramada BWI Airport/Arundel Mills
Candlewood Suites Arundel Mills / BWI Airport
Live! Lofts
Live! Lofts
#4 of 14 in Hanover
Hampton Inn and Suites Arundel Mills / Baltimore
The Hotel at Arundel Preserve

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore - Washington DC/BW Parkway? Share your experiences!