I'm a Starwood regular but this was my first Element stay. There were so many good things about it but it could have been a better stay if staff had tried a little bit harder. Often I criticize a hotel for architectural things that aren't easy to change in old hotels. Here the design and layout were awesome but staff and care of the property were the problems.
I checked in about 3 pm and there wasn't much going on in the lobby, yet I got minimal attention from Jessica as she checked me in. I was not told of any hotel amenities- not the free breakfast (which I only learned of from Tripadvisor reviews) or offered any amenity for my Platinum status, nor was my status acknowledged. That isn't a big deal to me but I know it is to Starwood since their surveys constantly ask that question. Usually at the least I get a free bottle of water- there was no water in the room- free or otherwise. While searching for water I came across a cabinet and a drawer in the kitchen with someone else's left over food. Aside from possibly getting bugs it made me wonder how well they cleaned the room if they left so much food there. Aside from the food and really dirty windows I didn't feel like the room was dirty- it just showed a lot of wear. All surfaces seemed to have marks of some kind.
The highlight was the bathroom! I loved the shower! It was very large and very clean. The shower was a large walk-in with a big square showerhead and a handheld wand.
The kitchen was also very nice with a beautiful glass tile backsplash, full-size refridgerator, etc.
I had a one bedroom which had wood floors except in the bedroom (carpet) and bathroom. The desk faced the wall and I wanted to work facing the TV so I just rolled out the white table that was tucked against the wall at the entrance and made an L-shaped work area that was great. I needed another surface in the bedroom so I rolled a little ottoman over and put my suitcase on it. I loved that the furnishings were flexible.
I was asked if I wanted a higher or lower floor at check-in and was given a room on the 7th floor. Problem was that when I looked out the windows I just saw other hotel room windows. I asked for an exterior view and was moved to a room with a much better view on the 3rd floor.
The person checking me out in the morning was very friendly.
Oh and the lumpy bed - well, just check out the picture. I don't think the quality of the bedding qualifies it to be called a "Heavenly Bed" It is a far cry from the quality of a Westin Heavenly Bed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Element is Starwood's premiere extended stay hotel brand. Element Arundel Mills is located next to Arundel Mills Mall, minutes from BWI Airport & just a short drive into Baltimore and Washington DC. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Element Arundel Mills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Element By Westin Arundel Mills Hotel Hanover
- Element Hotel Arundel Mills