I recently traveled to Baltimore to attend a Red Sox-Orioles game at Camden Yards. When making the decision where to stay, my main concerns were price reasonableness, location and transportation. Since I would have my 9-year-old daughter with me, I wanted to make sure the trip in and out of the city would be smooth and stress-free. I chose aloft Arundel Mills in part because the website clearly stated that transportation to and from the Light Rail Stations would be provided.
I arrived at aloft at exactly 3 PM on Saturday, August 1st. My reservation provided 3 PM as check-in time. However, the room was not ready and we had to wait approximately 45 minutes until we could finally check in. aloft did provide a shuttle to the BWI Light Rail station and stated that they could pick us up there after the game. Because of the delay in getting into the room, we were not able to meet friends before the game for dinner as we had hoped, but ended up not even getting to the game until after the first pitch.
After the game, we waited for approximately an hour at the Light Rail Station at Camden Yards and the trains to BWI kept being packed. When a train for Cromwell Station arrived with room on it, I called the aloft front desk and asked if they would be able to pick us up there. They said yes. Since I had a tired 9-year-old, I was delighted to hear this and we climbed on.
When we arrived at Cromwell Station, I called aloft and they said they would be there in 15 minutes. After about 25 minutes of standing in a dark and desolate train station at 12:30 AM as a single woman with a 9-year-old girl, I called again and was told the shuttle was too busy bringing people back from BWI and would not be coming to Cromwell!
Luckily for us, a cab came by shortly thereafter and he kindly took us to aloft. It cost me $20 in cab fare, plus a $3 tip. We got into our room about 1:15 AM and soon after that our fire alarm went off! We left our room and realized no one else’s alarm was going off. We went back in and eventually it stopped, but there was a relentless beeping all night that may have been the smoke alarm but I never could find the source of the beeping. I don't smoke and there was nothing in the room that could have set an alarm off.
All in all, our stay at aloft was very unsatisfactory to say the least. Saying that they would pick us up at a train station and then not coming is inexcusable. I was left standing there in the middle of the night with a little girl. It was terrifying. The advertised shuttle transportation is one of the main reasons I chose to stay there. I will not be staying there again.
As for other factors, the indoor pool was great and the fitness room looked nice although I didn’t use it. I didn’t like the floor in the lobby- it looked like dirty concrete, and the outdoor patio type brick tile in the bathroom and shower wasn’t really to my taste but seemed new and clean. Bed was comfy- if there hadn’t been beeping all night I might have slept well. The bartender was very cool too. He gets a thumbs-up.
I am really not that picky when it comes to hotels but so many things went wrong for us I felt compelled to share. After the great Tripadvisor reviews I was really disappointed in this hotel. I honestly think they weren’t prepared to handle the big crowd that came for the Red Sox game but a hotel should be able to handle full occupancy better than this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Arundel Mills is just around the corner from Maryland Live! Casino, Arundel Mills Mall, and a short drive to Baltimore-Washington International Airport and Fort Meade. Our upbeat vibe is a fresh, forward-thinking alternative perfect for tech savvy and social travelers. This design hotel boasts an on-site lounge and an indoor heated pool. It is located 6 miles from Baltimore Washington International Airport and has free Wi-Fi access. Each contemporary room at the Aloft Arundel Mills features a 42-inch flat-screen TV and an iPod dock. They are decorated in bright blue accent colors, wood furnishings, and have large windows. Enjoy cocktails at the full-service W XYZ Bar or grab a snack from the on-site convenience store, Re:Fuel. Relax on the rooftop sun terrace or work out in the 24-hour fitness center at the Arundel Mills Aloft Hotel. A games room with billiards is available for guest entertainment. Arundel Mills Mall is just 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel. Baltimore city center is 14 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Aloft Arundel Mills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Arundel Mills Hotel Hanover
- Aloft Hotel Arundel Mills