So, my wife and I recently stayed at the aloft in Arundel Mills and, well, we won't be coming back any time soon. Maybe if every other hotel in the area was booked... but then we'd probably just avoid the area.
This was our first experience staying at an aloft (basically a toned down W) and we were looking forward to it. When we walked in the front door, we saw a sign (and bowls) announcing pets were welcome - and though we didn't have our dogs with us, we took it as a good sign.
Until we tried to check in.
By my watch, despite there being only two people ahead of me, it took 18 minutes. That's a crazy time to wait. The lady at the checkin counter was apologetic but, wow, that is just ridiculous. Worse were the number of staff people who would walk by and see us standing there and...do nothing (except for one woman who said she was sorry but didn't know how to use the reservation system).
Finally, a gentlemen showed up to check us in. No 'sorry for the wait'. No "thanks for being a platinum member'. Nothing. Just, "can i have your id and credit card"
At that point I was so annoyed I told him to cancel my reservations. Unfortunately, I had prepaid in advance so, being stuck with the bill either way, we stayed.
The woman who had been working the counter was very apologetic and offered us a drink or appetizer but at that point, well, it really didn't matter. I don't even think it was her fault: maybe she wasn't trained, maybe we came during a staff shift, but whatever the case, it was so ridiculous, unhospitable and off putting an experience that it made me question why I don't switch my business to Marriott.
The room was okay. Kinda of W meets Ikea. Amneties are very weak, especially the hair dryer (my wife said that it was useless). If you are a woman or traveling with a woman, don't expect things like q-tips, etc that you'd find elsewhere and bring your own hair dryer. Also, bring ear plugs, when the heating unit kicks on at night it is REALLY LOUD.
All in all, one of the worst experiences with a Starwood property I've ever had and the first and last time I will stay at an aloft.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloft Arundel Mills is just around the corner from Maryland Live! Casino, Arundel Mills Mall, and a short drive to Baltimore-Washington International Airport and Fort Meade. Our upbeat vibe is a fresh, forward-thinking alternative perfect for tech savvy and social travelers. This design hotel boasts an on-site lounge and an indoor heated pool. It is located 6 miles from Baltimore Washington International Airport and has free Wi-Fi access. Each contemporary room at the Aloft Arundel Mills features a 42-inch flat-screen TV and an iPod dock. They are decorated in bright blue accent colors, wood furnishings, and have large windows. Enjoy cocktails at the full-service W XYZ Bar or grab a snack from the on-site convenience store, Re:Fuel. Relax on the rooftop sun terrace or work out in the 24-hour fitness center at the Arundel Mills Aloft Hotel. A games room with billiards is available for guest entertainment. Arundel Mills Mall is just 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel. Baltimore city center is 14 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Aloft Arundel Mills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aloft Arundel Mills Hotel Hanover
- Aloft Hotel Arundel Mills