“This place is awful!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Connecticut
“This place is awful!”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I had surgery in Baltimore and needed to recover locally for a week, so I booked this hotel.

They supposedly give you the option to opt-out of receiving a daily newspaper, which I did, twice, yet I still received the newspaper everyday. This is not a big deal, but why offer the option if it's not available?

I removed my "Do Not Disturb" sign by 10 am every morning, yet some of the days, by 6 PM, my room still hadn't been made up, so I'd have to call the front desk. According to literature in the room, they change sheets every 3rd day of your stay, but I was in my room during housekeeping and my sheets were not changed. It's not a big deal because I don't change my sheets at home that often, but I didn't like the fact that they lied about it.

The shower did not get hot, it was lukewarm at best and there was hair in the tub when I arrived.

They tout a bed with firmness control, but the bed in my room was broken.

I told them when I made the reservation that I was going to be recovering from surgery and would like a quiet room, but I was put on the street side of the hotel, which was anything but quiet.

One night, someone pulled the fire alarm, so I had to walk down 4 flights of stairs in my nightie and stand outside in the cold until the Fire Dept cleared the building. I know it's not the hotel's fault, but it was really the icing on the cake.

On the upside, the room was attractively decorated and had a fridge and microwave, which was very convenient given my situation. The plate in the microwave didn't fit properly so it made a loud clunking sound, but it wasn't horrible. The free internet access was ok and there was an ice machine on the floor. And once I called about housekeeping service, they responded pretty quickly.

A marketing intern must have decided to go with a "big day" theme, which was kind of weird and annoying. For example, the soap packaging said, "Start your big day with clean hands". and the room key said, "Tomorrow's a big day". I'm in a hotel 10 minutes from BWI, how "big" is my day really going to be?

I booked a Hilton because I wanted a comfortable and peaceful place to recover, but really a Days Inn would've been much cheaper, and not much worse. I'm not in a hurry to stay at another Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank PoconoPolly
H13, General Manager at Live! Lofts, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. In an effort to improve our service I have shared your comments with the staff. If you would allow us an opportunity in the future to make this up to you, please contact me and I will personally handle your request. sincerely, Dorothy Paez, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
VA
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel very soon after it opened last year. Our experience then was uniformly excellent! Wonderful room, service, pool, breakfast, wifi...the list goes on.

Our most recent stay was, to say the least, disappointing. It started with our room not being ready when we tried to check in. We did, admittedly, try to check in 15 minutes before the posted check in time. We were told that our room was not ready, but would be ready in 15 minutes - the official check in time. 50 minutes later, after my husband had to leave me sitting in the lobby with our luggage so he could make his 4pm meeting, the room was finally ready. The only apology we got for the delay was from the housekeeper.

The room was not well stocked for cooking and eating - there were not enough plates and place settings for a family of four. We had everything we needed last year, so it would seem to be a problem with keeping up with breakage/loss.

The pool was not open even though it was during posted pool hours. Apparently the lifeguard (they only open the pool when a lifeguard on duty) was, in fact, not on duty. The front desk clerk was unable to tell us when the pool would be open or why the lifeguard was not on duty during pool hours. We were eventually able to use the pool after the lifeguard was located. No apology.

The microwave didn't work, and was never replaced or fixed despite repeated requests to the front desk throughout our stay. Again, no apology for the inconvenience.

When we returned to our room late in the afternoon on the second day, the room had not yet been serviced and we were in the room when the housekeeper came, so rather than vacate we settled for a sketchy cleaning - new towels, beds made up. It was certainly reminiscent of our inability to check in on time the previous day. No quibble with the housekeeper - she was very pleasant - but maybe they need to hire more cleaning staff so the rooms can all be done by a reasonable hour.

Their TV channel lineup claims they have local broadcast channels, but the chart in the room didn't match what we were getting on the TV and none of the channels we received were local channels. Front desk was again unable to help.

Finally, the last time we stayed here we were on an upper floor. Advice for anyone thinking about staying here - request an upper floor. We were on the 2nd floor (ground level for the Homewood Suites), and the so-called blackout blind was completely incapable of dealing with the amount of lighting from the parking lot. The rooms never got darker than twilight. Good lighting in the parking lot is important for safety, but they should compensate in the room with adequate window coverings. We had no trouble last year on an upper floor.

We really like Homewood Suites as a brand and will continue to stay at other locations, but we will choose to stay elsewhere when we need to be in this area again. It's really unfortunate because it was a great hotel when it first opened.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Although turning into the parking lot can be a bit challenging (could they have made the turn any sharper?), this hotel has quickly become my new favorite spot to stay close to BWI. Easy access to the freeway and super-quick (and traffic free!) to the rental car return. The evening manager receptions aren't for the faint of heart - these are full blown meals. Makes it difficult when you're craving a Five Guys burger, but it's nice to have a choice if the weather is bad. The reception desk staff are extremely pleasant and friendly - especially Erin - and make sure that you have an excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
NJ
Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our way to DC. It was a convenient, easy, 45 minute drive for us to DC the next day. It is close to the BWI airport as well. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and quiet. Our king bed had a fluffy pad under the mattress cover which made it perfect. The room temperature was controlled with a thermostat, so it was quiet and consistent. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, MD
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Nice place, they're fairly new, not sure when they opened though. Just 15 minutes from downtown Inner Harbor. The beds were a bit too firm, coffee wasn't ready in the morning at the dining area, cookies were gone too soon... overall nice hotel. Mainly booked for location and price. Would recommend depending on your criteria...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Holyoke, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed one night last weekend for a bicycle race, the check in was quick,
the room was very clean and the bed was comfy. Normally I am very picky about
hotel beds and pillows but it was just right. They had a place where you can check your email or print boarding passes.

The one thing I was disappointed in was the breakfast, it was over ten dollars
and just looked like an average buffet with bagels and things that most places offer free.
We skipped it and went to Dunkin' Donuts instead.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The location is wonderful! If you are renting a car the car rental faculty is like 4 min away, airport is like 10, and is in a better area then the "Airport" hotels. There is so much around the Hotel, a Mall, tons of places to eat.

The staff was so very nice, and the place is just perfect. I can not wait to stay here again. Half of this big building is a Hilton Garden Inn and Half is the Homewood suites. Very cool set up. (Unlike other Homewoods there is a full service restaurant in the building on the ground floor were the Hilton Garden Inn in , so you can go down there for a good meal!) The room was grand! Big open and nice tones.

Breakfast FREE, Internet Free, and worked fine.

Can not say anything bad about this place..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
vsta1289, General Manager at Live! Lofts, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Thank you so much for your review!!! We strive to be the best and your comments really motivate myself, as well as my staff to exceed in meeting guest expectations. We look forward to you coming back to visit when you are in the area!! Thanks again!

Vanessa Stanley