“Nice location, not so nice staff”

TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My expectations were low, but I was optimistic since it is in the Marriott chain. We decided to stay after a long night at the Dave & Buster's. We also wanted to try the Casino out the next morning and although we live in DC, it just made since to us at 2:00 am that staying in a hotel was our best bet. We arrived to a less than enthusiastic front desk attendant, but come on it 2am, so I can't fault the guy. We asked him what was the latest we could stay without being charged. He said 2 pm, that seemed late to me, so I knew we should be out of there no later than 12:30 pm/1:00 pm. The lobby was cute, a little cramped, but I liked the map of DC/B-More on the wall. The room was actually nicer than I expected. I loved the fridge, dishwasher, hot plate etc that was provided. Although I didn't use any of these amentities they were nice to have. The bathroom was nice and the room suprisingly clean. I am a little OCD when it comes to hotels and cleanliness. The TV was pplaced in this weird position. The bed was comfy, pillows small but it works. The next morning around 12:15 pm housekeeping comes by. We explained that we would need just another 25-30 minutes and we would be out of her hair. She was not happy about that. She sighed, rolled her eyes and said "OK". I knew we needed to pick up the pace a little. So, I ran out to the car to get something and on my way back in, I see/hear the same lady say to the front desk attendant "I don't understand why they don't charge these people for staying late". I was a little taken aback as it was only 12:15 pm. I am not sure that she was referring to me, as there were quite a few people checking out late. Well, I am sorry Tonja (thats her name according to the front desk attendant) that me and other guests staying at this hotel, which by the way keeps you employed, is such a burden. Definately won't be staying here again.I understand that certain professions can be more demanding and aggrivating than others, but I would suggest that Marriott caution their employees about complaining about guests, while they are within earshot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DCLady85
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I'll start with the negative. This place right off a huge mall parking lot. Apparently this mall is very popular which equals a ton of traffic in the parking lot!!!! This is not street traffic it's all Parking lot traffic. But you can walk from hotel to the mall, movies, casino, etc... Or take the shuttle. The place is clean and FREE washer and dryer for you!!!
Some of the night staff needs additional training. I'm a platinum member for Marriott and this person named Sydney was giving us a hard time when we asked for upgrade, busy be new as it seemed he did not know his away around their computer system. Overall it's a nice clean place and a lot places for shopping and dinning, maybe too many places.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Roominspektor
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A quick night before a conference, and I could find nothing bad about my stay. Breakfast was a typical "free" buffet, room was very clean and comfortable, and the highway noise (yes, the side we stayed on) was not overly invading. They even have a relationship with a local company for room service convenience. Kitchen adequate for an extended stay if necessary and the staff was very attentive. I'll be pleased to come back when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Andrew0967
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I were moving out of Maryland and had to move out of our home earlier than expected due to a quick sale of our home. We had to stay for about 30 days and after checking around, we chose TownePlace Suites in Arundel Mills Mall for convenience to work, shopping and our old home which we had to prepare for final sale. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite - very roomy. Enough storage space for our temporary load that we were taking with us. The kitchen is a full size with large refrigerator, an oven w/burners, microwave and full sink. The free internet access (wire and wireless) was ok...sometimes slow, but ok (as far as being a comp.) A/C and heat were both good (we stayed in the spring which had the up and down temps.) Complementary breakfast was ok - egg biscuits, cereal, fruit, juices, milk, etc. The fitness room was good. And finally, the laundry - free! That was great for a long term stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Overnight getaway with hubby for Father's Day, there were a couple issues, I do like the TownePlace Suites, and will def. try them again. Once the manage was made aware , he did something about it. Thank you and we will give you another chance! Great Area, love the shopping, restaurants....

Room Tip: Always give management an opportunity to fix the problem.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pat C
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I arrived at the hotel very late on a Sunday night, and was amazed to see a very full parking lot. The hotel is conevenient to the mall as well as a new casino that is opening soon. The room was clean and well decorated. The flat screen tv is on the side of the bed instead of the across from the foot of the bed like often seen. I like the fact that you can access the closet from the kitchen area as well as the bathroom. My only complaint is that the pillows were uncomfortable.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

A very underwhelming property not fitting of the Marriott name. To start with the public areas are very tight with no sense of flare. The dining room is very small and laid out like a cheap cafeteria. Breakfast and evening snacks are pretty sparse unlike Residence Inn. The room is decent size but the carpet and furniture need to be cleaned. And there are some rough looking characters in residence here. I meant to book the Homewood and booked TownePlace by mistake. I won't make the mistake again.

Room Tip: Book a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business