WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“A true gem along the C&O Canal Trail” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The 1828 Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hancock
The 1828 Trail Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hancock B&B and Inns
Reisterstown, Maryland
“A true gem along the C&O Canal Trail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was on a 3-day bike ride from Cumberland to Washington, DC along the C&O Canal Trail. My first night's stay was in Hancock. Bill and Darlene the couple who runs the inn couldn't have been more hospitable. My bike was locked in a garage on the property. My room, the Canal View room , was quite spacious as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. Even better was the private deck right off the bedroom.

There was a laundry room along with a refrigerator stocked with cold drinks.

Late in the afternoon cheese and crackers and cookies along with coffee and hot tea were put out for snacking. Breakfast the next morning was just perfect before hitting the trail for a day of riding. Not only were Bill and Darlene quite gracious, but Bill is one helluva cook/baker. I highly recommend staying at the 1828 Trail Inn over the run of the mill motel you might find in Hancock.

I would not hesitate to stay here in the future and highly recommend to any bikers or travelers staying overnight in Hancock, MD.

Room Tip: Canal view room has private deck
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LarryG0117

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was riding as part of a group of five men riding from Pittsburgh to Washington DC on the GAP/C&O Trail. It was my second stay at the 1828 (the first was on a ride with my wife from DC to Pittsburgh the previous year) and it will NOT be my last.
I describe the 1828 Trail Inn as the ONE place on the trail that I MUST stay at, and I will arrange my trips to make sure we stop there! The rooms are VERY comfortable, regardless of if you are here for a stop on the trail or for a get-away weekend. The owners are very experienced in catering to bike riders and hikers, and provide a locked garage, a hose to clean off both bikes and body (if needed after a muddy ride), a convenient laundry room, extremely comfortable beds with private baths, and above all, their hospitality is unmatched.
The breakfast itself is worthy of high praise, and you will be delighted with the personally made and delicious offerings they serve. They ask in advance if you have any food allergies and go out of their way to make sure you will be pleased with your breakfast. It is my favorite breakfast on the trail.
The Inn is located about two blocks from the C&O Trail, and if you want to FIND something wrong with your stay, it is the steep hill standing between the trail and the lockable garage behind the Inn. However, taking on the hill is WELL worth the trouble, even after a long ride, and I highly recommend the 1828 to ANYBODY traveling through Hancock, regardless of their purpose.

Room Tip: The Doctor's Office is our favorite, but ALL of the rooms are very comfortable. If you want din...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank letsgopitt106
Clarksville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here as part of a 3-day ride on the C&O Trail. This place is MADE for cyclists. Great shed to park the cycles and lock them up so they are secure. Great little guest room with laundry and drinks...and a first aid kit :) We stayed in "the doctor's room" with a wonderful king size bed. We slept like babies. Breakfast was outstanding with a nice egg soufflé with a little bite to it. The muffins we took to go were amazing. Treat yourself to a great night and a super starting in the morning

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamiSay
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Traveling with 7others, riding the trail, we stayed here for 1 night. The hostess was very welcoming, we had cheese and biscuits, cake and coffee on arrival in the afternoon. The rooms were large, very well equipped and clean.

Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bikerchick39
seaford, de
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at 1828, 2 nights ago, a starting point for a 2nd leg to our C and O canal towpath ongoing adventure. We weren't able to show up until 11pm (meet up and dinner with biking partners prevailed)and I don't know if they'd want me to say they were still receptive and welcoming at that late hour, but they were!! Our loss as we didn't get to take advantage of the amenities...the living room, porch, our 2nd floor deck or our friends sitting room, but we delayed our start the next morning a bit to do so. I would advise you to arrive early enough to enjoy the close of the day. Our room (Canal Room)was huge with a gas fp and a door out to top deck with chairs, and a large bathroom. Queen leather and wood sleigh bed, very comfy...very quiet and spotless place! I hate to give up this jewel but I don't ever want them out of business! Oh and the southwest casserole with peach muffins were amazing, thanks Bill and Darlene!!

Room Tip: Come early to sit on decks or porch...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 days riding our bicycles on the Western Maryland Bike Trail through Hancock. We stayed at The 1828 Trail Inn and we could not have chosen a more perfect place. The owners were very hospitable (cookies and tea late PM) and the breakfast was wonderful. AND the room we stayed in, The Doctor's Office, was fun and exciting - very comfortable.
I say exciting, because the B&B was actually a Doctor's residence 50+ years ago and his office was attached to the house - our room (no tools of the trade anymore). But, my wife recalled we had a friend in Baltimore that was originally from Hancock - we called her upon our return and she told us that at age 5, 75+ years ago, she had her tonsils out in that very room!
You will enjoy this place!

Room Tip: Ask fir the Doctor's Office
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
fairfax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Spent the weekend at this wonderful B&B while biking on the western Maryland Rail Trail and the C &O canal. The inn keepers Bill and Darlene were professional, gracious and friendly; delicious wholesome breakfasts, muffins to take on the trail:). The inn is very clean and comfortable, we stayed in the Railroad Room which has a porch and its own door outside- very comfortable. You can lock your bikes in a safe shed overnight- they are used to folks biking through town and are very accommodating. I highly recommend this Inn if you are in Hancock MD.

Room Tip: Loved the porch on the Railroad Room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Hancock
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs Inn
BEST WESTERN Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
#3 of 21 in Hagerstown
Motel 6 Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to The 1828 Trail Inn? Share your experiences!