“Gem on the C and O Canal”
Review of The 1828 Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hancock
The 1828 Trail Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hancock B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2011

What a lovely place! The house is beautiful and the Innkeepers couldn't have been nicer. Afternoon treat of crackers and cheese and Bill's delicious brownies. Darlene and Bill were charming and helpful. We started our biking trip on the C & O canal and appreciated the proximaty to the Towpath and the shed to lock our bikes. Breakfast was delicious. We had made arrangements for Darlene to pack us lunch and she sent us off with a wonderful bag of sandwiches and treats. This is a must - stay for any bikers on the towpath. We hope to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Railroad room which had a jacuzzi, shower and porch overlooking the canal.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The owners are extremely pleasant and welcoming. They have the facilities to accomodate cyclists (bike shed, hose, rags, laundry machine) and a lovely home in which to relax. Tea on the patio was very pleasant. The Inn is very close to restaurants. This is high style that is very reasonably priced. It was simply lovely and pleasant.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at the 1828 Trail Inn while bicycling the C&O canal. It was raining hard, and we arrived absolutely covered with mud. Bill and Darlene were totally non-plussed. They showed us the hose to wash down our bikes, the shed to lock up our bikes, and gave us towels to put our dirty gear on. There was even a washer and dryer for our clothes, which we appreciated, since we were traveling with only minimal luggage. In the evening, Darlene treated us to some delicious brownies, and we ate supper at a nice restaurant nearby. The room was wonderful and we had a private bathroom. Breakfast was delicious. All of the other guests in the B&B were bicyclists, so it was good fun at breakfast to compare notes.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

I was so delighted to have found the Trail Inn. As most reviewers note, you're pretty tired after a long day of biking, so the quality and comfort of the house is very important. It was a perfect blend of Victorian charm, with updated, gorgeous bathrooms and modern amenities like satellite TV (for us sports fans missing a day of sports). The hosts were friendly, generous, and accommodating, but never overstepped their bounds or were too involved. Definitely maintained our privacy in this intimate setting. Such a wonderful and refreshing place to be.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank golfinn3
Reviewed July 6, 2010

What a wonderful place to stay! We spent a long day on the towpath and logged over 60 miles when we finally arrived at the 1828. Darlene and Bill greeted us warmly, helped us get our bikes put up, and gave us time to cool off, wash off and become human again. The house is beautiful, the hosts are most gracious and the breakfast the next morning was the best. They even offered to let us use their car to go to dinner! I felt like we were staying with family. You can't do better than this anywhere!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stopped here at the end of the first leg of a C&O Canal bike trip. Bill and Darlene are wonderful and could not have been more welcoming. There was a hose to clean off the bikes and a shed to lock them in. The rooms were quite large and very comfortable. The afternoon snacks were delicious and just enough to take the edge off before dinner. There is a nice large front porch for relaxing if the weather is nice, and a comfy living room for when the weather doesn't lend to sitting outside. And the breakfast was AWESOME! If you stay, ask for the Southwest omelet and the blueberry muffins :) We would certainly stay here again, and would recommend it for any of our friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nattitude
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I had seen the Inn when I was on a biking day trip on the canal the fall of 2009 and decided that it was where I wanted to stay on an over-night trip on the canal. Their location right off the C&O canal and Western MD Rail trail can't be beat! The lockable shed and hose to clean off your bike is a major plus. After being met by Darlene and welcomed into their home and shown the laundry and guest pantry with fresh drinks, hot and cold water I was completely won over. Once I was shown to my room, The Canal Room, I was already planning, "next time".
Darlene had asked me when I called to make my reservation if I had any special food requirements. I said that I could not eat anything with gluten. Her response was only to ask if I could have rice flour. Her husband Bill made me wonderful gluten free cranberry nut muffins, fresh out of the over for breakfast the next morning.
I went on my way the next morning fortified by a wonderful breakfast and the leftover muffins (with fresh home made apple butter) for my return trip to Cumberland.
If you are riding on the canal, I highly recommend The 1828 Inn as your layover.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Paddle_or_bike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Hancock Motel
Hancock Motel
#2 of 2 in Hancock
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Sleep Inn & Suites Clear Spring
Homewood Suites Hagerstown
Homewood Suites Hagerstown
#3 of 21 in Hagerstown
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Been to The 1828 Trail Inn? Share your experiences!