“Not much on Menu”

Potomac River Grill
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Hancock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Homestyle food featuring hormone and injection free beef. Menu ranges from appetizers to meals and desserts. All food prepared on premises.
West Virginia
“Not much on Menu”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Not much to choose from and nothing for kids. Place needs a radio or tv. Also our waiter never gave us refills on drinks. I guess that is kinda hard when you can't find him.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank WV71

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Three plates: One hit, one miss, one WORLD CLASS”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Our group had the beef sandwich, burger and pulled pork platter.

The pulled pork is a hit. Lean and fresh, mostly soft bites though with a few crunchy end pieces, as it ought to have. The spicy sauce shouldn't be confused for hot sauce; it's a differently spiced version of their sweet sauce. Comes with two sides for $10. Taste is comparable to Red, Hot and Blue. A hit.

The beef sandwich was a miss: too chewy and gristly.

We'll return for the burger. Oh, my. A downtown DC restaurant could get $22 for that plate, it's that good. The right amount of leanness, perfectly seasoned and for $7 -- felt like a thief, so out of whack was the quality to the price.

Will be back for the burger, for sure.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Calabresa
Clear Spring, Maryland
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I ate here on Sunday night, both the food and service were excellent. It was a small restaurant and was very full but comfortable. One waitress was taking care of everyone, and although she was busy and probably overwhelmed, she did very well and was very friendly and helpful. Our food was out within fifteen minutes of ordering. I ordered a burger and my husband got the pork platter with baked beans. Everything was very good, very fresh, and just the way we ordered it. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank mel433
“Very bad experience!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went there tonight after reading these reviews. Ordered the beef plate and the majority of my meal arrived raw - not pink - raw! Couldn't eat The meal. Brought it to the attention of the staff and the cashier told me I ordered wrong, then gave me the full bill without a second thought. Very poor customer service. The ice tea was fine though. Avoid this place.

2 Thank Kevyq
Washington DC
“*Very* good for what it is. (But fix the fries, okay?).”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I confirm many of the reviews here, both complimentary and critical, but I think the critical ones may be over thinking this place. It's a BBQ joint, not haute cuisine, and, except for the fries, does a bang up job of putting good fresh tasty BBQ in your plate.

Directions are confusing, as it's on the highway and not down in town. The outside looks like a malt shop, but the inside is a BBQ joint with a bluegrass station playing. The help is friendly but undertrained. And the BBQ pork tastes really fresh and porky (and I mean that in a good way), but despite being prepped right, the fresh cut fries aren't being fried right, and as a result come out soggy.

The location is right on US 522 on the high area abutting the Potomac River bridge, not underneath as my Garmin suggested. Small parking lot, "Happy Days" malt shop appearance. About 7 booths and 4 tables, plus a few 'drug store' round spinning seats at the small counter. The waitress was very friendly and helpful, although she sat down at my booth to take my order, which was a little odd. The waitstaff were young local types, and so were chatting with each other quite a bit, but the waitress was able to figure out when I needed something without being beckoned. Mild BBQ sauce was sweet but tasty, although the "spicy" sauce didn't pack much punch, and the Carolina vinegar sauce was pretty much pure vinegar I think.

The bottom line is that I scarfed down everything on my plate and was even considering a follow-on order of ribs until shame overcame gluttony. I had a delicious and very satisfying meal for less than $20 including dessert. If the chef refines his french-fry technique, I will be a lifer at this place.

1 Thank BeakerSan

Been to Potomac River Grill? Share your experiences!