“Good American Italian home made”

Fratelli's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Hampstead
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you are looking for real traditional Italian food, this restaurant will just miss the mark, but what it does do very well is what I call American Italian food. The sauce and pasta is made fresh in house and the flavors are very nice. The salad, well, the bottomless salad reminded me a bit of Olive Garden or something, which is okay but predictable. They have only ONE salad dressing, which to me is a shame because even in keeping it Italian there are so many things you could do with dressings. The bread in the basket - again, very American. Italians eat alot of hard crusted bread. This was good, but more like a soft long dinner roll with garlic butter on top.

The decor and atmosphere were very nice, the service was very good overall. We were in there at lunch, and were the first customers of the day. The restaurant was very clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. My husband needed to make a substitution due to a dietary restriction and at first the waitress gave us some blow-back without even asking, but when she finally did ask, the manager granted the simple request. (substitute soup for salad, both soups had ingredients he is allergic to)

It's worth going to for good American Italian in a larger restaurant, but if you want traditional authentic Italian go to Townson and try DiPasquales.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

A fairly new establishment, Fratelli's seems to be outdrawing all other restaurants in Carroll County, Maryland. The food is superior, the portions generous. You wouldn't imagine a exceptional crabcake to be featured at an Italian establishment, but their's has become "the talk of the town". The pasta is marvelous as are the chicken and veal dishes. A favorite of mine is the Napoleon Tower, an exceptional eggplant dish with balsamic greens. A unique feature is the grand pasta machine which is visible from much of the Dining area. When it is churning out one or another pasta, it is simply glorious to behold. One final note-Fratelli's owner deserves so much credit. I have never experienced such a well-trained staff. She insists on quality from them and gets it consistantly; most impressive in this day and age. A flaw? The desserts are fairly mundane.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

whent to the place for the first time .Nice distance from our house but it was worth the ride.The food was great,the service was great and the owner was lovely,very friendly and hospitable.We made a reservation for our group that meets every so often ten of us .Can't wait to return.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My hubby and I celebrated our anniversary here. I had black raspberry sangria, crab cake and pasta. For dessert we both had pumpkin spice cheesecake. My hubby had the stuffed shrimp and pasta. Everything was delicious. Mild but tasty pasta sauce and lump crab meat without that heavy filler taste. Salad dressing had a very mild but tasty flavor, unlike the sour Italian dressings you frequently get at other restaurants. The cheesecake was a light chiffon consistency with a great taste. Would recommend to friends. Will definitely go back.

1  Thank Jill P
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I shared an excellent green salad with house dressing, a nice mix with fresh greens, tasty croutons and the sweetest onions I've tasted in a while. Both of our entree's were excellent and neither was a "special" that day. No point in saying what they were. Service was top notch and the atmosphere was fine but almost Olive Garden. Their fresh, homemade pasta was great and their spaghetti sauce was very nice but not exceptional. However, when you consider the fact that you can find this level of quality in Hampstead, where you don't have to drive to Baltimore to get a product that is only slightly better, the whole equation comes together as "Very Good".
The only issue that we found is the house wine list. There are lots of situations where wine by the bottle doesn't work. Quality wine by the glass becomes a necessity. We are becoming a wine drinking society where consumers know the difference so a decent wine by the glass needs to be "kicked up a notch" at Fratelli's.