“Super 8 Hagerstown”
Review of Super 8 Hagerstown

Super 8 Hagerstown
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is located in a quiet environment, but the rooms need to be re done. The carpets were smelly. There were a few dead bugs in our room. The bread at the breakfast table was gone when we went there at 8:30am. The front desk attendant offered us some left over pieces.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
HagerstownSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Hagerstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I want to let you know that carpets are a high priority for replacement in our renovation process. We will have brand new carpet installed very soon, along with new flat-screen TVs as well. I don't know what happened at breakfast but it is open until 9 and I can't imagine that we ran out of bread. However, I will inquire about this and find out what happened. Thanks for your review of our hotel and please bear with us a bit longer as we are still renovating. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This may be the lowest priced hotel in the area but there is a reason for that. The rooms are outdated and in major need of carpet replacement and new paint. I checked in and there was still a used soap bar in the tub and the sink was dirty. The televison only had one channel that worked. There are only two lamps in the room and so it is very dim inside at night. I took an obviously broken radio (no face, broken off knobs) and the desk clerk asked me why I was wanting to exchange it! Continental breakfast is very, very basic. Not within walking distance of any restaurants, closest food is a Subway which is across the four lane highway.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank fchsco80
HagerstownSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Hagerstown, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

I’m not sure where these comments about used soap and a dirty sink are coming from. You obviously didn’t bring anything to our attention at the front desk, and if you were somehow given a room that was out of order by mistake, you should have told us immediately as we are not in the business of offering dirty rooms to our guests. Regarding the television, we have digital converters in the rooms currently because our cable provider has switched from analog to digital. We will have new flat-screen TVs shortly, but the converters give access to about 60 cable channels. Of course, if you are trying to use the wrong remote to change channels, then you won’t see more than one channel, something we also could have helped you with had you called us at the front desk. It should also be noted that there are over fifteen restaurants within one mile of the hotel, including Texas Roadhouse, Bob Evans, Denny’s, Supreme Chinese Buffet, La Tolteca Mexican, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, six pizza places and even more fast food options.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Pulled in at 9pm on 8/25 only to find out that for some unknown reason they cancelled our reservation and had no room for us. Had to scramble to find a room for the night in the area. Disgusting service and not even an apology. Would never recommened this even to someone I hated.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Michelle L

I’m not sure what the particulars are on this reservation since you waited nearly a month to post a review. What I can say is that you must guarantee your reservation for late arrival with a credit card if you intend to arrive after 4 pm on a busy night. There are many people who walk in for rooms and we can’t hold non-guaranteed rooms for you just because you say you’ll be there. If you gave us a bad credit card to hold your reservation, that isn’t any better than a temporary 4 pm reservation. Without knowing any details, I can’t answer your concern.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here last week with my wife and children and found the hotel to be great. Staff member, Cheryl, was very nice and helpful. The room was very clean and the bathroom was large and updated with new fixtures and paint on the walls. The hotel was very secure with many security cameras on the property. Also found it to be very quiet. I would stay here again if traveling in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
HagerstownSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Hagerstown, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments you gave our hotel. We try very hard to provide clean rooms and great customer service. We certainly hope to see you in the future and are glad you took the time to write this review.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Staying at this hotel was 1 of the worst choices I made. My six year old child ingested a pill did he found on the bathroom floor. Upon inspection I found 2 more pills. We quickly went to the front desk and notified them.
I was trying to take my son to the hospital when I realized that we were locked out of the room. The staff refused to let us back into the room, so we could get our cell phones and car keys to take him to the hospital.
...after 25 minute wait in which time the police were called, we are finally allowed back into the room.... another guest allowed us to use their cell phone to call for an ambulance.
The staffs only concern was keeping it quiet for the other guest wouldn't find out. *He later stated that we had bother them all night by asking once for a sheet, and once for a piece of paper ( neither of which he would provide to us! I even offered to pay for the piece of paper he still wouldn't give it to me).
The owner has blatenly refused 2 even provide us with insurance information to cover the hospital bills. He also notified us that we are barred from the establishment, all because he's afraid were going to sue him. He barely addressed the situation, refused to answer our calls & at points insinuated that we brought the pill in ourselves.
He didn't even offer to refund for the room what we only got to use for partial evening, before this terrible event happened.
The entire incident has scarred me and my son, and I am appalled at the lack of human decency. They obviously didn't clean the room very well to have pills all about. I would even have been pleased with a simple apology and ask how my son was doing, which they fail to do.
I have not sued them so this isn't about money. It's about unsafe conditions and lack of human decency from the hotel clerk, the owner and just about everyone involved.
I would not recommend this hotel even for dogs. They are not cleanly or accommodating whatsoever!

• Stayed: June 2012

LET'S REVIEW WHAT REALLY HAPPENED HERE.… Your son found a pill somewhere, supposedly in your hotel room. He then, in front of several witnesses, said he did not eat it. Nobody at our hotel ever denied you from calling 911; in fact, there was a lobby phone in plain view which you could have easily used to call for an ambulance when you were in our lobby. On top of that, our desk clerk would have gladly called for you had you asked him to. The Hagerstown Police were called out instead and when they arrived, they recognized you as a regular local problem for them and did not even believe your story. This is completely about the money, as you asked for a full refund several times before you ever inquired about insurance information. There is nothing unsafe or unclean about our hotel. You are just writing to attack us because we did not give you your money back. You have been banned because even the police said you are a regular local nuisance for them and we want to provide a quality environment for our traveling guests.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Pros: Large selection of TV channels. New bathroom vanity and lighting. It was also very quiet. I slept for 8 hours straight which is unusual for a hotel. This property is also one of the cheapest hotels in Hagerstown. Fridge & micro in room. Continental breakfast was better than most Super 8's.

Cons: Cleanliness of the room. There were visible cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. There was mold above the shower wall. The "artwork" frames were disgustingly dirty. There were visible stains around the bed skirt. All of the furnishings not replaced recently were very worn, and very old. The window was able to be opened, without screens attached so bugs, etc got in the room. There was a spider in the shower. The room was musty smelling.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for. This is a very tired old Super 8 building complete with the basement rooms and fluorescent lighting everywhere. However, at $40-$50 night it is ok for an overnight stop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
HagerstownSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Hagerstown, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We just put in the flat screen TVs recently and they have about 85 cable channels. I want to apologize for the cleanliness issues you had with your room and let you know that these things will be addressed with our housekeeping and maintenance staff. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We just stayed at this Super 8 on Monday night. We checked in at 4 pm and was greeted by a lady training another man on how to be a check-in clerk. Both were very nice and we waited as she took him through our order on the computer. (We were his first customer.) They put us in a room on the second floor at the end of the hall. The room was recently updated with a newly remodeled bathroom which was very nice. The room was very clean including the bedding. I checked for bugs and saw none and noticed they had their mattresses and box springs covered in the dust mite/ bedbug covers to keep the little monsters at bay. I very much appreciate this small act. The bed had a pillowtop added to the top which was easy on the back however the pillows were a little too firm for me. Those who don't have good balance; beware, there are little dips and valleys in the floor which you can't see until you step on them. I found this more of an amusement than anything. My biggest complaints are that the ac/ heater is too loud and that they put us right at the end of the hall where the stairs are so I heard alot of commotion due to our location. That being said, I am very sensitive to noise and while these things bothered me a bit, they did not bother my husband in the least. It was also not bothersome enough to move to a different room. There is a breakfast in the morning but we weren't up in time for it. We will definitely put this motel on our list for the area.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the stairs and on the third floor so you don't hear the people a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future!